Burley Production, Calloway County, Kentucky, USA

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Bama Samurai, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Currently visiting Murray, KY... I asked my friend George to take me out to his brother-in-law's tobacco plots. Here is what he grows. Had a great time walking and talking about burley. Thanks Glen, both for the great lunch and all your hard work growing one of my fave things!

Common Burley

[​IMG]

This is a plot of burley, a major western Kentucky cash crop. This field will be used to produce Dark-fired Kentucky for the pipe tobacco industry.

White Burley

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This plot is white burley, and is the most important tobacco crop in this area. Most of this will be flue cured and processed into domestic cigarette fill. Pictured: giddy Bama Samurai...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    AGHisBBS, Keithmax, NCoxSTL and 6 others like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Nice! This might sound odd. I don't smoke, but I love the aroma of good tobacco. Must be due to the aroma of my grandfather's pipe tobacco when I was a kid.

Btw, Kentucky is a beautiful state!

BamaT, Bama Samurai and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Since you don't smoke but like the smell, check this out!

http://countryclubformen.com/collections/vegan-shave-soaps/products/la-habana-shaving-soap

I currently have a tub of this, and really like it. I also have London Skies, but La Habana has a more tobacco leaf aroma to me.

Erik Redd, Jim99 and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

That's a great visit Chris, getting to see tobacco being farmed. Do they also process it to any extent there?

5. Bama Samurai

There are some processors, but the farm I went to today simply bundles the leaves and sends it out for curing.

BamaT likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

That would be a fun project, to do some home curing.

Via Kyocera / Tapatalk

BamaT and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

It would be pretty neat to see how the leaves are cured. I've heard someone that was in North Carolina and wound up helping a tobacco farmer for a while say you would get a huge nicotene hit just from handling the leaves at harvest. He said it was so strong it made him sick for a good while until he got a little used to it. I guess that job wouldn't be for me!

Erik Redd and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Those are great pics, thanks for sharing!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  9. Bama Samurai

I have seen a curing barn, and would chose to wear gloves myself.

BamaT likes this.