Butterfly vs. 2pc

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by badabing10, Apr 1, 2014.

1. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

I recently purchased a Merkur 34C (2-pc) opening razor. I may buy a second, do you recommend butterfly opening vs. 2pc?

* I like the butterfly opening over the 2pc, but afraid of the mechanism will break over constant use. I was looking at the Parker 22R.

Or should I buy another 2 pc for my 2nd razor.

Thanks

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

You won't know what you like best until you try some new stuff. I prefer 3 pc razors personally. But if you're looking to try a TTO, you can't go wrong with an old Gillette (unless it's bent up).

PatrickA51 and Slipperyjoe like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Let's take a Gillette Super speed as an example. In most cases they're over 60 years old. If the mechanism has withstood the test of time. I'm sure you'll have no worries. Unless you drop it..

PatrickA51 and Slipperyjoe like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't know about other Parkers, but I have a Parker 60R that I bought new in 2011. I quit using it because it was mild on one side and aggressive on the other side. After checking it out closely, I discovered that the center bar had some play in it and had a tendency to move to one side when closing the doors. You can center it manually if you are careful though. I just like not having to worry about stuff like that. PM me if you think you might like to try it.
    [​IMG]

RaZorBurn123 and PatrickA51 like this.
  5. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

Interesting...let me see how this Merkur goes first. Thanks guys

6. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of TTO and Several 3pc DE Razors. Of my TTO razors I like my 1968 Gillette Knack. I like my Weber 3pc SS DE w 85mm Handle. {I like it best} with my 68 Gillette running a very close second.
    I have yet to use my birth year razor. I use my Weber most often. I do not use it when I am in the Shower, I do not want to drop it. }and I like to be able to see what I am doing so I get a Rudy Castile Clean Shave!}