can I sharpen my straight razor on a sharpening stone

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by sunny, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

It was recommend to me to get the strop before the razor, so I wouldn't be tempted to use the razor without the ability to strop. Good advice, which I followed.

Billyfergie, Drygulch and DaltonGang like this.
  2. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Thanks for that information. I am looking to get everything in place before even thinking about starting the straight edge practice.

Billyfergie, Drygulch and Jim99 like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Adam, what type of strop is recommended for a beginner versus someone that's been SR shaving for some time?

Billyfergie and Drygulch like this.
  4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

It depends on who you ask. There are three schools of thought I've heard.
    1. Get a paddle strop. You won't have to keep it pulled tight, and can develop the muscle memory on a flat surface. Benefit: Can paste the strop later, and use it in a honing progression. Negative: Can't think of one.
    2. Get a cheap strop. Since a lot of people damage their first strop learning how to do the flip, this gets recommended a lot, even for those who went the paddle strop route. Cheaper strops tend to be 2-2.5 inches wide, and have a synthetic second element. You can actually lay them on a flat counter, and use them like a paddle strop. Benefit: If you slice it up, it wasn't as expensive a strop to replace. Can paste the leather and the second element of the strop later, or use it as a travel strop. Negative: If you assume you are going to cut your strop, you will. Have to do an X pattern. Less expensive strops tend to have lower quality leather. (But not all.)
    3. Get a higher end strop. You will be so terrified of cutting up you will focus like crazy on your technique, and really try not to cut it up. Benefits: Most are three inches wide, so no X pattern is needed. You have a good strop. Negative: If you do cut it, you are either going to swear or cry.
    I started with a 3 inch wide strop, and didn't have a single nick in it until I loaned it to someone, so it can be done. Better way to look at it, do you want something that you will want to upgrade as soon as you get it, or something you can use for a while?

5. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Send your blade out and have it honed by a pro. Get a decent strop, an Illinois will most likely be cheapest decent strop you can find. Don't buy a strop shaped object off of ebay or Amazon. Buy some Chromium Oxide paste from a reputable shaving vendor, and paste the underside of the cloth component of your strop.
    Learn the basics.

With good stropping technique and a few passes on a pasted strop when stropping on clean cloth and leather does not stop the razor from tugging, you can keep your razor going for a long while. Certainly long enough to learn to use your straight.
    MHO.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Billyfergie, Jim99 and Spyder like this.
  6. bdalemauger

bdalemauger Active Member

What he said! Buying 3k 8k stones before even buying a straight is putting the cart before the horse and the wheel hasn't been invented yet! Shave ready razor and a strop is all thats needed to get started then maybe a balsa strop and some chromium oxide to freshen the edge once in a while. Then after you get a good feel for what a good edge "feels like" get a 12k stone. I got by with a balsa strop and chromium oxide (a leather strop also )for several years before buying a 12 k stone.