Can somebody please shed some light on this topic for me...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Stanley Choi, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Stanley Choi

Stanley Choi Well-Known Member

Hi,

As some of you might know recently my wife gave birth to a second child and I am a 24/7 stay at home dad. So for me wet shaving is like a little 30 minutes vacation. I have been wet shaving for 7 months now and I feel quite confidence of handling a de razor. I have a 33c Merkur long handle, a Rockwell 6S, Merkur Vision 2000, F1 Fatboy and recently purchased a Merkur Futur. I don't not have problem with any of the razors except the Fatboy and my new Merkur Futur.

Okay, let's make the story short. I cut myself like no tomorrow with this new Merkur Futur!!!
    This is my second attempt with the Futur. I used a Rockwell blade, face lather with Tabac soap with setting No.2 and a lot of alum block at the end.

I need some advice of how I can improve my shave with the bloody Futur? Please help!!!

Stanley

2. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

@Stanley Choi If I recall correctly, a Futur on 1 is like a Superspeed on 3 or 4. I think you may have it too aggressive right now to learn on. Maybe go back to 1 and work up to a higher setting?

3. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Get a better blade in that razor ASAP!

4. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

5. Stanley Choi

So you guys are saying Rockwell blade is not good?

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Robyflexx

That's an understatement...

BigMike and AGHisBBS like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'll also recommend trying a different blade. Astra, Gillette, Personna are some you might want to try.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I agree - different blade. I have my Futur set just a wee bit under 3 and loaded with an Astra SP, making sure to watch the pressure, consistently get darn near BBS with zero irritation.

whiteboy_cannon, BigMike and AGHisBBS like this.
  9. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

The anatomy of the Futur is different from most razors and if you don't take care, you easily cut yourself due to the construction of the gap (and I also cut myself on the corners of the blade itself, perhaps it is less shielded than in other razors?)

Let's put it this way: forget that you thought that you mastered shaving. Use the Futur with care, perhaps turn the dial toward less of a gap, and you'll quickly see that it gives fantastic shaves. Not to mention a wonderful feedback!

Oh, and do change the blade, yes.

Hope the little one is doing well!

BigMike and AGHisBBS like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    From various reviews I've read, they start out rough, then smooth out after the second or third shave, and last quite a long time. I suspect that corking the blade first might improve the initial shaves.
    Both of those are heavy razors, compared to the rest of your stable. I would suggest using a lighter touch if possible, and as others have recommended, dial back the aggression.

Slipperyjoe and AGHisBBS like this.
  11. eaglewing59

eaglewing59 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new one :). Definitely get new blades. I use two kinds, Wilkinson sword and feather. Both suit me fine. Still be careful as these blades are also sharp.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

waffen and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I've found that the Future on setting 1 is about equal to a 8-9 on my Fatboy, The Future was far too Aggressive and uncomfortable for me, gave it to my nephew and he loves it, (he has a heavy thick beard). As for my Adjustables @6, including the Fatboy, work great with a Wilkinson Sword or Crystal blade. IMO It's hard to beat a Fatboy on the right setting matched with the right blade. But everybody is different.

13. Stanley Choi

Thank you Tallships! I thought something is wrong with the blade gap on the futur, it looks way too wide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Tallships

YW, The Future is not a tame razor, is more for the experienced heavy bearded gents. Most guys that are looking for an adjustable razor and cant find or don't want vintage go for the Progress in either the standard or long handle. Matched with a favorite blade, is an excellent razor.
    Congratulations on your second child and enjoy your 30 min. shaves while you can :)

Slipperyjoe and Robyflexx like this.
  15. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Number #1 on the lighter razor...

16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Reviews don't mean too much, unless the reviewers use your face ... if the Rockwell blade doesn't work for you, try another.

For me, Rapira blades (stainless and platinum lux) work great, and last a long time ... but others like different blades, like Astras (I don't like them).

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. Robyflexx

+1 I'll take a Rapira over an Astra any day. :)

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. Tallships

19. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Switch your blade to a Gillette Silver Blue (they start out smooth and only get smoother while retaining their sharpness), and set your razor on 1. And try to use the razor as if you are trying to slide the blade between your beard and the lather....in other words...NO PRESSURE!. Then dial it up to 2.

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

Robyflexx likes this.