Can you dry out and reuse lather?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Fly2High, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I had way too much lather that I whipped up in a bowl. Can you let lather dry out overnight and rewhip it up and use it?

Anything bad about reusing the soap?

Thanks
    Frank

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Are we talking about residual lather in your brush or the lather remaining on your puck? Second question...why would you want to?

3. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

To me that would be like leaving lather on bar soap. I always rinse off my soaps. It just keeps everything looking nice and clean.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS and Primotenore like this.
  4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Neither. I am a bowl latherer. It was left over lather in the bowl, unused.

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

If I have lather left in the brush, I always scrape the excess back into the container; I find that it gets better with age.

mikewood likes this.
  6. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Why not just rinse it out? Soap is cheap.

7. Primotenore

Article Team
    :signs011:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    Me too...:)

jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I dont see it getting thick and dense again but i could be wrong.

I just rinse it out and start new the next shave.

10. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

As I usually lather on the puck, I often leave excess in the bowl with the puck/soap. I don't bother saving any from the brush. I've found that the dried lather simply whips up faster the next day, and seems to help create new lather a bit better. Not enough to make it really worth it on a regular basis. If there's any soap on the sides of the bowl - I rinse everything out.

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Sounds frugal.

wristwatchb likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

This is Frugal Frank who asked the question. ;)
    I can't see much difference between reusing lather that's been allowed to dry out & the next time you load your brush off the puck. There's a possibility of bacteria from your face or brush either way. Keep it covered to avoid airborne contamination and enjoy.
    (If your soap contains tea tree oil, it's already anti-fungal.)

wristwatchb likes this.
  13. Bookworm

I don't know which is worse. Covering your now damp soap so it stays damp, which attracts "stuff" to grow on it, or leaving it uncovered so that you get cat hair and dust from the air on it while it dries. Adding triclosan isn't going to help anything.

RyX likes this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The only problem I see is that over time it would build up if the bowl were not cleaned out regularly. Put the extra lather back into the container with the soap cake. That should be ok I would think.

Jim99 likes this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A lot of my soap containers are uncovered. I guess some day I will catch something. Does not seem to hurt the soaps though.

RyX likes this.
  16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I don't see much of an issue as long as we're talking about the soap drying in the bowl. Moisten it up and it's good to go again. Why wash it down the drain? You will need to clean your brush.

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

5 Things to Know About Triclosan straight from the F.D.A. Because they are always right, right?
    the moe you know.jpg

AGHisBBS likes this.
  18. Bookworm

The only thing that's necessary to know (for most consumers) is that even the FDA has ordered manufacturers to stop using triclosan for hand washing because nobody has shown any evidence that it's better than soap and hot water. *shrug*

I've never been a fan of 'anti-microbial soap'. if you're that worried about microbes, alcohol!

PickledNorthern and RyX like this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

RyX likes this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Is this a metaphor that I don't understand?

RyX likes this.