Can't seem to find a happy medium

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sputnik27, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Sputnik27

Sputnik27 Member

How's it going there guys?
    I've decided that it's time i ask for some help instead of continuously and mindlessly building my collection. The problem that i face is as the title says, i can't find a happy medium. Out of the razors i have:
    -Ej89
    -R41(box cutter)
    -Random (Croatian) Communist Gillette copy
    -Some lord razor
    -RazoRock Jaws.

The razors will either cut well but not close enough. For example the Ej89 . Or they will leave me pretty cut up and burned. Can you guys through out a few names of razors that will sit in the middle of these? I'm looking at the Merkur 25c.

Many thanks in advance from down under.

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Maybe you should try an adjustable.

3. Sputnik27

Sputnik27 Member

Any models you know of?

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I don't know the new ones, but Gillette makes some nice vintage ones, such as the Super Adjustable (sometimes called the "Black Beauty"), as well as the Slim & the Fatboy.

Shaver X and tuxxdk like this.
  5. Sputnik27

Sputnik27 Member

How are the new Merkur adjustable razors, compared to the Gillettes?

6. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Hrm, I'd say the EJ89 is a pretty aggressive, much more than a Gillette Tech for instance. An "in the middle of the road" razor. I have no doubt than the real aggressive ones are not for me.

I whip out my Mühle R89 (same head as your EJ) when I want an aggressive and close shave. But it's also the razor that punishes me if I'm not careful, especially with pressure.

I'd say an adjustable also. But I don't understand you rate the EJ as mild.. :signs002:

Sputnik27 likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Howdy! The R41 is a beast! I'd stay with EJ89 for a month solid, you may need to get down your technique. Remember, each razor usually requires a different angle, blade, and so on.

Bristle Me, Sputnik27 and Slipperyjoe like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

What blades have you tried?

synth and Sputnik27 like this.
  9. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

This is a vital part of the equation. I get a vastly different experience with a Bic in my Merkur 41c than I do in my FaTip, for example, while a Bolzano provides a relatively similar experience in either razor.

Bristle Me and Sputnik27 like this.
  10. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like your flipping razors before you've built up your technique. No DE razor will provide a good shave without developing your skills first.

11. shmuel

shmuel Member

I agree that you should be sure you have dialed in your technique and sampled enough blades to see what works best. That said, when I switched to the Merkur slant (37C) I noticed a marked improvement in the closeness of my shave,

Sputnik27 likes this.
  12. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

:signs011:

Sputnik27 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The modern Merkur adjustables were once considered to be more pricy than the vintage Gillettes, but this has changed as the demand on the vintages has caused ridiculously high prices on the used market, especially on the auction sites.
    I'd start out with the Gillettes—the Slim, for example—as they tend to be somewhat milder than the Merkurs.

Shaver X and Sputnik27 like this.
  14. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

A Gillette adjustable is an excellent suggestion for you. It will "adjust" as you develop and be relevant forever. My EJ can be transformed from mild to aggressive via blade selection, with Feathers defining the utmost aggressive end. Astras, Supermax Super Stainless, Voskhod/Rapiras, 7 Oclock Blues/Blacks, etc, should put the EJ into a higher mid-game for you.

synth and Sputnik27 like this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Nice collection you have there...With the exception of an OC, you have a nice range of 3 piece razors..Preference plays a big part in how well a razor works for you I.M.O....That said I'd tend to agree with simply getting in more time with your EJ89 first(Time,Technique,Practice and Patience are key I.M.O.)...

Do you have a large blade sample pack? Different blades will work/feel differently on your face, I feel the more blades you can try the better.....Then after some time if it's still not shaving as close as you think it should, you can try using a shim or two or more if you so choose(one shim at a time) under the blade to up the aggresiveness(best part about shims is that they are free)..I used my EJ89 happily with two shims until I got my Weber DLC...

I've never used a Merkur 25C, I do own and have used a Mekur 34C and found it shaved pretty well..The R41 sounds overly aggressive for me although I've never tried one...
    The RazorRock is the same as a Cadet, I find the solid bar Cadet shave heads are similar to the EJ and Gillette Tech....While I find the Cadet OC(open comb) heads to be a little more aggressive..
    Another thing with 3 piece razors is that you can change the handles for more or less grip(knurling),vary the length, diameter and weight and cause the razor to perform better for you...

Is that "random commie Gillette tech(?) "copy a "Lux"?
    If so many of them are stainless(at least mine is) and actually shave quite nicely(similar to a Tech)...

As to the Gillette adjustables I have all of them and again they all shave well, it's mostly a matter of preference... I just found over time that I prefer 3 piece razors..Of the four styles of Gillette adjustable (FatBoy,Slim,Super Adjustable long & short handle) I feel the Slim is the most afforable and available in general...It's been a while since I've checked prices for Gillette adjustables on ebay however...I've never used a modern adjustable as I don't find them applealing(looks wise) and I found them rather pricey...

I hope this helps you out some....:)

Sputnik27 likes this.
  16. imGrunt

imGrunt Active Member

Was using my Dads 64 Gillette slim adj. until my wife got me a Merkur Progress long for Christmas. I LOVE the Progress :)

Sputnik27 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  17. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

As far as I know there was no DE production in Croatia, some in Serbia though, but post a pic I'm really intersted :)

Sputnik27 likes this.
  18. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

That RazoRock Jaws you have is my favorite razor. I also have the EJ89/R89 and I share your opinion regarding the mild side of the EJ89 vs. the open combs. I have a Progress as well and it's fantastic. I didn't see how long you've been wet shaving, but I agree with others that if you haven't been at this long, to give it more time. Also, make sure you've mapped your beard growth so you know exactly how to get the most out of your shave.

Sputnik27 and imGrunt like this.
  19. Star

Star Active Member

This is just my opinion, but I think you need to spend more time working on your technique. Worry less about buying stuff. You have enough tech to give 99.999% of the human population a good shave. Pick one razor, and stick with it for a
    :signs011:

Sputnik27 likes this.
  20. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

IMO you can get a nice clean shave from just about any razor as long as you find the correct blade and master your technique. I currently have nine razors in my line up and each one handles a little different. I.e. I can use a Derby blade in my Fat Boy as long as it's set on 7 or above. If I put a Derby in any other razor, including my Slim Adjustable, it will tear my face up. I suggest sticking with one razor and trying many different blades until you find the right one. Just my opinion.

Bristle Me and Sputnik27 like this.