Can't seem to find a happy medium

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sputnik27, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Sputnik27

Sputnik27 Member

Hey guys thank you for the replies. I'll stick with building my technique up with the Ej for now. As for my blades, i love the Astra super platniums, Wilkinson sword and Gillette Yellows. The feathers are too aggressive for my face. I'll post photos of my collection but first let me know what i should resize the images to, so that i don't take the entire page up with one photo.

For those who asked-

Ej89

ej.jpg

Lord (not sure of the model)
    lord.jpg

Muhle R41
    r41.jpg

Razorock Jaws
    razorock.jpg

Unknown Communist Gillette ( Possibly army issue from former Yugoslavia)
    c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

c5.jpg

brushes.jpg

blades.jpg

Feel Free to throw any blade names that you think work well with a wirey type beard.

2. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

An "aggressive" razor need not leave you "cut up and burned" and a mild shaver can give a very satisfying shave, it just won't last as long. I'de say it's more down to technique. Find a blade that agrees with you and stick with for a while, using it in all your shavers. I like the Astra SP and get a very close but still very comfortable shave with one in my Old Type Gillette - no bumps or burns, and no 5 o'clock shadow for 24 hours or so. But I also can get a very satisfying shave with from one in an old Tech or SuperSpeed, which are very mild shavers IMO. The difference being in how long that close shave lasts, 6 hours or so for me, and not in how beat up my face feels after a shave.

Remember the old saying...a good craftsman never blames his tools. ;)

And if you're having trouble with bumps try an alum block. They're also great tools for honing your technique as they'll let you know where you've been sloppy - it'll sting more there! :o

Sputnik27 likes this.
  3. Sputnik27

Sputnik27 Member

Thanks for the input. I currently use an alum block but should start paying more attention to the feedback it gives.

4. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

You have a very nice collection going there ;)
    As for the "yugoslav/croatian" DE razor , that looks like a Czechoslovakian Astra razor. A nice middle of the road ,a bit on the milder side, razor (as I was told by a friend of mine who uses one of those) they were quite common around here along with this model
    [​IMG]
    But I think that model was also made in the

5. Sputnik27

Sputnik27 Member

I found that the Yugoslavian razor that i have gave quite a close shave yet aggressive. I think i just need to work on my technique. Get that down and i should get some killer shaves.

tuxxdk and Monkeylord like this.
  6. KingChoss

KingChoss Member

I have the EJ89 and i hate to say it when I first put my razor together and shaved it was terrible. I was using a Derby that came with it and it cut the heck out of me. I found the problem when I went to change the blade...I had the comb upside down!..lol

7. fdce54

fdce54 Member

I get a fantastic shave with the EJ89 and Derbys. No nicks, cuts or razor burn. I tried an Astra sp in the dj and suffered cuts and burn. In my 34c, I get a poor shave with Derbys but a great shave with the Astra. I have a light beard and the DE89 is more aggressive than the 34c which explains my results. I couldn't imagine trying an R41.

8. Sputnik27

Sputnik27 Member

Haha i remember shaving the first time with that Unknown named razor i have. Put a Wilkinson sword blade in it. All i can say is i looked like an idiot when i went to school the next day.

Sorry guys. Monkey lord i have to link this to you after seeing that display picture. Assuming it is the guy from M.A.S.H- http://i.imgur.com/yxHSu.png

9. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

I started out with an EJ DE89L as my first safety razor. It came with five Derby blades, which shaved very well.
    After trying several blades in the EJ, I have found that Gillette Silver Blues, Voskhods, and Shark Super Chromes work really well for me. Of course, as always, YMMV. It takes time to develop your technique, and it takes time to determine which blades work best for you. ;)

Sputnik27 likes this.
  10. rellano

rellano New Member

I had a similar experience. . I started with a razorock tto which was great, switched to an ej de89l to up the ante. first impressions were that it just wasn't agressive enough. Stuck with it for a month or so and switched back to the rr tto... we'll to my surprise the rr tto was now way to aggressive and left me feeling all raw wishing I used the ej.

11. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Sounds like when you started using the EJ you used too much pressure to compensate for its mildness. Then when you went back to the RR TTO, you were still using too pressure and it burned you a little. Make sure your pressure on the razor is nice and easy.

synth and moz68 like this.
  12. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Although "A carpenter never blames his tools " is very true,
    So is, " you cant tighten a bolt with a hammer"
    Just say'in

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

True, but I don't think he's trying to shave with his brush.

Shamrock likes this.
  14. rellano

rellano New Member

Yes and no. I think it's the other way around. After several shaves I'm cautious of the pressure i apply but realized it's just too much blade exposure. It's like shaving with a cartridge all over again.

15. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Thats funny.
    :)
    I have also heard, "you cant do a $100.00 dollar job with a $2.00 hammer."

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

But a $10 brush can whip up a lather and feel just as comfortable as a $250 brush.

Just wondrin'...
    How can "absence makes the heart grow fonder" if one is "out of sight, out of mind?" :p

Shamrock likes this.
  17. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Now that makes a person go, Hmmm?:signs002:

18. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Absence makes the heart grow fonder but absence also makes you wonder.
    :)

19. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Have you tried a slightly excited "large"? :D

20. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy