Cartridge Handle Conversion

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by vegasvics, Mar 1, 2012.

1. vegasvics

vegasvics Well-Known Member

I have two GFT cartridge handles that I received as gifts. One is marble and the other faux ivory. Has anyone ever had a old cart handle converted to a DE? I'd like to have the marble one converted (it has a matching badger brush that could use a new knot as well)

[​IMG]

2. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

:pics: :p

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

:signs011:

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Hi.. I recently have been contemplating a Tech handle or two myself but after getting a couple of nice brass fittings at Home Depot have run into some snags and have put the project on hold. You'll probably be getting more professional advice soon on your thread but for now I'll take a quick stab at it. Your gonna need to get a fitting on there and I'm not quite sure how your gonna do that or if that's even possible. I imagine you'll need to cut off the old cart head fitting first then mount the EE to what's there.. tricky. Generally DE's take a10:32 fitting and not sure for the metric but the info's around. There's a fellow who does up handles and such really nicely https://sites.google.com/site/bobsrazorworks/ Maybe you could give him a buzz and take it from there.. best of luck.. Joe...

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Thanks for posting the pics Vegasvics. That make things much clearer. Quite frankly from here it looks like the cartridge fitting is about to leave that white Trumpers handle anyway.. which looks a rather nice one. I've never really taken a close look at the more elaborate cart handles so am not sure what size the fitting is or if in fact it's simply screwed on there or whathaveyou. I guess it all depends on what you feel is worth doing in the end. A new DE shaver comparable to the Trumpers goes for about a hundred bucks.. maybe sixty if you get a DR Harris. A BRW rig with re plate head runs I think for about seventy five. If you're really serious about this conversion, you could take a chance on wrenching out the cart fitting and seeing if some kind of 10:32 can get in there..and you might be in business. But the whole thing's a real gamble that could end up destroying the worx and the outcome is uncertain to say the least. You could also try posting with the pics on the big board to see if you get any more bites. Once again good luck on what ever you decide.. Joe...

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

After looking at the pics, I think it'll be easier than if it were like a Mach5 or something. As long as you could get the head off without boogering up the hole you should have an ok time finding all the right stuff.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Depending on the size of the hole that'd be left after removing the existing cart mechanism, that marble one might accept a Slim Twist (aka Knack) DE head, which is very easily removed from its cheaply molded plastic handle. If the neck of the Knack head fits even somewhat well, epoxy will take care of the rest. Simple operation, really...fittings, etc, might not even be needed.

As Joe said above, though, the trick will be removing the cart mechanism without destroying the handle.