Changing a razor head.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Regan, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I was wondering how would you go about changing a razor head on a 2 piece razor?

It has a classic merkur head but I want to get something a little more aggressive and useful. It is a custom handle and I absolutely love it however the razor head just doesn't do it for me.

I could send it away but then shipment as well as cost to get it changed adds up. I was looking at it trying to figure it out but I do not want to end up breaking it.

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Still no responses? Dang. Well tonight I am going to try to remember to shoot an email to Merkur to see if they have any information regarding changing the base plate of any of their razors.

It would be such a waste for a beautiful razor to just sit on on my dresser and not get any use.

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Sorry, I haven't attempted to do this. Probably contacting them would be the best solution.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Try sending an email to CoonCat Bob.

I have seen razors he has done that replaced the handle on a 2 piece Merkur. If you can replace the handle, then Im sure you can replace the head. It probably has a pressed in bushing holding it together.

5. Synack

Synack New Member

It's a 34C with a custom handle? I think it would be pretty difficult to actually alter the head design. Cooncatbob might be able to salvage the parts used in the custom handle and incorporate them into a three piece setup with a Gillette head (and I'm not sure how cost effective that would be either...)

Just throwing this out there... Have you considered trimming an old blade and using it as a shim to increase the blade gap?