Chinese clone of Grand Shave King

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by John Ruschmeyer, Jan 22, 2018.

1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

At the risk of derailing the topic, two questions:

1) What is the relationship between Razorock and IB? Are they the same company?

2) What is the advantage of a razor with a SB on one side and an OC on the other? I'm not a person who shaves with one side of the razor only (I flip between face sections), so I'm wondering what the advantage is.

2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

From personal experience, an OC is somewhat better at removing more days of hair without clogging. The standard guard is.. well, a standard guard - it's a bit harder to get the angle to scrape. So, I'd suspect that the dual side ones are made for initial hair removal, then the full shave. I think it's just a gimmick, as the differences aren't enough to really need to change between types.

Weasel640 likes this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Here's the Vigshaving. For people who would change the setting on their adjustable razor between passes this is simply another way of doing things. Gibbs did this in the 40s, a number of Ikon razors have this feature. $7

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Jorvaljr and RyX like this.
  4. Bookworm

I recognized that head, and it took me a bit to find it.

ganvillage_green on ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Men-Double...Classic-Shaver-W-Comb-Best-Gift-/401335516758
    also https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZY-Manual-...mitation-Wood-Handle-Tooth-Head-/252975439782

Fifth picture. (for the first link) -

It's been in their stock for a couple of years now, I think.

Looking further, it appears that anything ganvillage sells that says 'toothed head' is one of those 'OC/Standard' combinations. Interesting. I remember them selling a straight OC at one point. Their prices range from $6-8, so IB is probably a better place to buy them from, as not being in China.

5. Bookworm

Razorock vs Italian Barber. I suspect that they're owned by the same people, but the only way to find out would be to check with the state where they're registered. The domains are both with Godaddy, but RazoRock is 6 months older than Italian Barber, and they're hiding their names. (I HATE the 'domain privacy' crap. To my mind, the only reason it really exists is to hide spammers. Regular businesses have no reason to be hiding their domains unless they're intending to engage in criminal activity that they need to hide)

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Razorock is the IB house brand.

RyX, Bookworm and John Ruschmeyer like this.
  7. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Now that I have more time; Looking at the Head and Plate of the SLOC vs the Yagi, the two look very similar. Also now the Yagi offering has an unbranded version. I wonder if the two aren't the same thing with just different branding/vendor?

The VIG Head and Plate are definitely different from the Ikon. The VIG Plate is different in geometry (especially on the underside) than anything I have ever seen. The Bar side of the Plate of the VIG is scalloped and reminds me of the Mühle R89. The Open Comb side of the VIG is nothing like the Mühle R41, the VIG is an actual Open Comb. Here is the link to the VIG:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...945.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.639e49b5ifr0Ki

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Razorock is just branding, I'm sure it's the same head as the Yaqi. Yeah I can see the difference in the dual comb. Hope we will get a shave review.

9. Bookworm

The VIG is a ZY. I'll try to dig out my ZY razor that came with a pouch (yes, I bought the entire thing for the pouch), and break apart the head for some photographs. It's not OC on the side, but it's the same molding for the base plate.

10. Weasel640

Sorry for going sideways on your thread here...

Of the Open Combs that I have (including the PAA DOC) they all do really well at removing multi-day growth with minimal clogging, much better than the Bar style. However where the PAA DOC is overly mild, the others are overly aggressive, and the Bar is just right... So my 1st day of the work week normally will consist of one pass with an Open Comb (normally a PAA DOC) and then switch to a Bar style (normally a Merkur 23C) to finish the last two passes.

That said; I'm interested in how both of the Chinese versions will perform in the two aspects of my day 1 shave.

11. Weasel640

Or is ZY (Open 2 years on Ali) really just the branded side of VIG (Open 7 years on Ali)? We know know that their products come from the same place...

12. Bookworm

You're probably correct. When I got mine, they weren't labeled ZY.

13. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

Yaqi takes up to a month for usa delivery. ... Lets face it 3 bucks to ship from China is dirt cheap. one month wait is totally ok. i have placed several orders from Yaqi using Ali Express and no issues

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

16 days to Los Angeles my last order, quite fine with that

15. Bookworm

Depending on the seller/shipper, it can be pretty quick. What I've seen/been told (one customer is a customs broker, others are warehousers/shippers), the packet services stack up the envelopes and packages until they hit one container load. Once the container is filled, it ships out - often that same day. When the container hits the US, it's then apparently routed east/west coast, then broken down into the individual packages again, and is shipped to the appropriate destination company. I've seen USPS, but I've seen some weird companies that apparently deliver between cities and end up 'delivering' to the North Houston post office, when then routes to mine, then to me.

So, if there's a lot of stuff heading to your part of the country, it could be quick. If there's not, it could take a bit for there to be a container load. I have no idea if the containers are done by boat or by plane - I don't think my customers know either. I could ask someone at US Customs tomorrow, if you want. They might not know, because they work at the exam station for commercial cargo, but then again, they could probably just call and find out.

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

FYI there's also another version of the DOC made by Pearl in India. Different (slotted) bottom plate than the Yaqi.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RyX likes this.
  17. John Ruschmeyer

Interesting. That one looks a lot more like the original and/or the PAA DOC. I wonder if some exclusivity deal with PAA's OEM expired?

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Pearl is a manufacturer not just a brand so they are likely the OEM as they have been a major supplier to North American sellers like PAA and IB (Razorock Jaws is made by Pearl). AFAIK the Pearl version is not marketed in North America. Pearl also sells a Prismatic under its own name.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    RyX likes this.
  19. John Ruschmeyer

Pearl razors used to be sold in the US under the Cadet name.

RyX likes this.
  20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

the grand shave king lacks a rigidity that copies don't seem to duplicate.
    The key to the ultra smooth results i get with the gsk is that the head is just tight enough to be snug, any further and it doesn't perform as well.
    While i haven't tried the others, i do know that i don't have any razors that act this way, i can only describe it in a flexible factor (probably due to the cap being fluted).

Bookworm likes this.