Chinese Knockoffs of the Tiger-3H Blade

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by John Ruschmeyer, Jun 2, 2016.

?

Can a Chinese knockoff of a horrible Czech blade be better than the original?

1. Yes, even a rusty can lid would be better than that blade.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No, it would be the unholy union of the Tiger and the Blendax.

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Someone over on TSR was asking whether the Tiger-3H would fit a Wardonia razor (http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/will-these-fit-in-a-wardonia.38213/). Anyway, they have managed to get hold of what appears to be a Chinese knockoff of the Tiger- the "New Improve" Quick Tiger.
    [​IMG]

I gather that their plan is to try one tomorrow in an EJ.

This, of course, begs the question of whether the Chinese (who are not known for their DE blades) can make a better version of what is probably the worst product to come out of the Czech Republic since the Yugo.

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Hmmm.. maybe they are made from recycled Yugos. ;)

Awaiting your report.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Who is going to be the first to get some?

4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I would but I don't use my DE's anymore:D

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

@NCoxSTL.... just when we thought it couldn't get any worse.....

nope.gif

ob1page, Robyflexx and NCoxSTL like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

A Chinese knock off of the Tiger?! Are we sure these aren't just Flying Eagles? I can't begin to think how horrible these must be. No desire to find out. Nope, not gonna do it. What was that link again?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ob1page and Robyflexx like this.
  7. John Ruschmeyer

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

So, in spite of my morbid curiosity about bad blades, and anything to do with the Tiger especially, I managed to put that curiosity on hold and avoid even going to the bay to look at prices. Nope, not gonna get me suckered in on this blade. It won't happen. Never. I swear. Cross my heart and hope to bleed out with a Flying Eagle.

Well, ok so that held until 3 minutes ago. Ordered a 10 pack. :angry032: Just can't seem to help myself. Arrival date is anywhere between June 10th and July 11th.

0511c76c41886f951471ee45b1710a0f62f5c8-wm.jpg

9. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

Oh man now I need to try one. I'll trade you an original Tiger 3 hole for a knock off. :)

NCoxSTL likes this.
  10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'm not sure if that's an even trade, a better deal, or just an idiot's deal. I might be better off just sharing the love with the knock off. LOL

Drygulch and Mr. Freeze93 like this.
  11. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

There's a reason the guillotene wasn't invented in Czechoslovakia. If someone was going to the trouble to produce a knockoff, why would they choose to knockoff a dud?

NCoxSTL likes this.
  12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Unless they actually improved on it? :confused: But knowing the quality of almost every Chinese blade, that seems impossible.

John Ruschmeyer and Keithmax like this.
  13. John Ruschmeyer

Let's see... we know that the cost to produce a razor blade is minimal in any real quantity. Also, the Chinese seem to have few qualms with knocking off (or straight up counterfeiting) anything that they can make money at. This leaves us with the perennial question of who in the world (or, at least, Africa) is buying the real Tiger blades and why?

We know from the Czech Blades presentation that the target market for the Tiger is central and southern Africa, especially Nigeria, with some indication of bulk purchases by NGO's. I assume this means that the typical Tiger user is not a sophisticated wet shaver with access to the Internet and/or a variety of blades. Instead, he is probably either getting them in a relief package or buying then from a local market that offers little other choice. Assuming such a market exists, it seems reasonable that a Chinese company might want to exploit it with a knockoff. This harkens back to the part of the presentation where Czech Blades specifically mentions that the Tiger's biggest threats were low-cost blades from India and China.

Talk about a race to the bottom.

cmorris357 and NCoxSTL like this.
  14. John Ruschmeyer

But, we are talking about the Tiger-3H here... Even if all they did was use a grade of carbon steel capable of holding an edge, it would be an improvement over the original.

It's as if a Chinese automaker decided to make a knockoff of the Trabant...

NCoxSTL likes this.
  15. John Ruschmeyer

It looks like you needn't have bothered. The results are in from over at TSR:
    Looks like the Chinese have come through again!

Keithmax, NCoxSTL and Robyflexx like this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well I wouldn't expect less than that from the Chinese. And, while I have no doubt the tester over there is perfectly on target, you know me....it has to be put through the official "Triple T" test. Technique Trumps Tools.....or perhaps that should be renamed to the "ITBB" Test. Idiot Tries Bad Blades.

Drygulch and Keithmax like this.
  17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Nigerians without internet access? As many 701 scam attempts they have run through email and other means you would think every one of them has full broadband direct from Google! However, I know those were run from internet cafes, as there really is lousy access there. I have no doubt the Chinese are trying to capture that market as the packaging even says "New Improved". Perhaps they will capture the market that already tried the original Tiger, and now only use it to melt down and make tools from, though I hear even shovels made from Tiger "steel" can't dig.

Considering that most Chinese blades, well the vast majority I've tried, are little better than the Tiger, I don't know why they'd fear the Chinese market, other than the fact they can turn out about a billion blades for a buck. Indian low-cost blades? I'm of the opinion that most....not all.....but most Indian blades are actually serviceable, unless there are some I just haven't found yet. Which, as you know, now means that to satisfy my blade obsession, OCD, addiction, whatever you want to call it, I must research and dig those bad boys out!

Keithmax and John Ruschmeyer like this.
  18. John Ruschmeyer

I have a couple of Chinese blades in my stash from cheap razors that I've been too intimidated to even look at. The only Chinese blade I have tried is the Gillette Super Blue Blade which came with the "Sterling" razor. That was actually a decent blade. I considered picking up a couple of tucks, but they are surprisingly expensive and apparently are heavily counterfeited. (I almost forgot... the Chinese Schick Injector blades are great.)

I don't think I've tried any Indian blades yet, except for the Treet Platinum which is a very nice blade.

Personally, I'm pretty content with various pieces of Russian steel and the odd German Wilkie.

Keithmax and NCoxSTL like this.
  19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Super Max blades from India have some decent choices. Super Platinum comes to mind

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Keithmax likes this.
  20. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Those Tiger blades are the WORST blade i have tried by far. Why would anyone want to make a knockoff of these blades? I could understand if it was GSB or Feather blades, but these are almost unusable IMO which is something i do not say very often.

NCoxSTL likes this.