Chinese Straights....

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Vlasta, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Anyone care to try one? These is a street corner shop here in HK that has a wide variety hanging on their wall. I am too new and too scared to try them myself as I suspect they need honing before use. However, I would be willing to buy one or two and mail them out for testing to any discerning members who wish to "ride the cutting edge" if you pardon the pun..... and see if this can become a new source of razorful delights.

Jim99, Karl G, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

There's quite a few here that own Chinese made straights. What brand(s) are available?

Karl G, Waate and Billyfergie like this.
  3. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I will need to check next time I am in that area. Back soon...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks. It could be interesting.

Karl G, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

A generou offer, I wonder if the they are Gold Star razors on the 'bay:signs002:

Karl G, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The Gold Dollars are good to hone and use. I've heard the ST razors are good too, but I cannot verify that. I do know that the one "ZenZen" I tried to hone is junk. I've been wanting to try the "Gold Monkey" brand razors, because they do look better made than most.
    @Vlasta , is there a way you can take a photo of what the vendors carry, with the prices??

Jim99, Karl G, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Chinese Steel on Gold Dollars & Titan SRs for Example is Generally Good Steel..There is Also a Lot of Ornamental Stuff Made in China as Well..A Gold Dollar & the Likes of a Titan whilst they Shave Well are Very Unbalanced in the Hand & Way Overweight for their Size in My Books..There is a Lot of Trash Made in Some of these Eastern Countries as Well..EBay & Amazon are Littered with them..:)

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Jim99, Karl G, gssixgun and 4 others like this.
  8. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I have a couple of Gold Dollars; their issues are well known, and mine are no exception. But they take an edge and hold them well, at least the two that I have. I use them to try new honing techniques, different stones, combinations etc.
    But they are bulky, thick, have no grace in design or during use, and the scales are mortifying. If they were all I had or could afford, I'd get good shaves, and would be glad I had a sharp straight; any sharp straight. But I'm really glad you can still find good vintage blades and make them shave ready again. :D

DaltonGang, Jim99, twhite and 2 others like this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

They are cheap enough that you can practice your scale making. Also if you have a dremel you can practice modifying the blade.

I have a GD that I modified the blade. Next is new scales. Great fun

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro