Clean shaven, stubble, or beard?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by venom0706, Feb 25, 2014.

1. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

How do you maintain your facial hair? Do you clean-shave, keep it stubble, or let a full beard grow?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Clean shaven for now.
    Once I find work I'll probably grow the handlebar 'stache back out in full glory.

macaronus and Slow Joe like this.
  3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

fram773 likes this.
  4. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

Clean-shaven. I shave daily.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am still clean-shaven.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I wear a moustache and soul patch,everything else is clean shaven daily now that I shave "traditionally"....When I was working and had to be clean shaven 10 days a month for work, I used a Trac2 and "HATED" shaving so much, that I'd basically keep a stubble whenever I didn't need to be clean shaven...Now that I shave "traditionally" and I "LOVE" shaving...My preference is clean shaven or if all I had was a cart to shave with, then a beard, I dislike the stubble look....:shaver

HolyRollah likes this.
  7. jbennett

jbennett Member

Full beard. Just shave the neck and cheek and refine the lines with my de razors.

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have a mustache right now. It can go at anytime.

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This is exactly what I sported for years as well—'stashe & mouche ('soul patch')—until the upper lip went all grey, I still keep the silver patch tho....and the rest is clean shaven everyday!

178-bplatoon likes this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I know what you mean,mine is about 80% grey now, but I figure what the hell, it's paid for so I'm keeping it....:happy097:

Slow Joe likes this.
  11. Badger-Face

Badger-Face Well-Known Member

Call mine a mix between the goatee and the petite goatee. I used to have more of a van dyke I guess. But, once I started DE shaving with these fine products I shaved the stash and made the goatee a lot smaller so I could have more to shave lol. It seems to get a little smaller with every shave. It's like a triangle now pointed on the bottom sides. I really don't like my face clean shaven so I have to keep something.
    [​IMG]

vwp528 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  12. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Very interesting chart Badger-Face! I had no idea all those various styles had their own individual names.

I had a full beard for the past 6 years or so which I recently shaved off this past October, leaving a wide goatee and moustache. Then a couple of weeks ago I shaved off the tache, leaving what I suppose would be a modified Klingon on the chart. Basically just a wide & long Klingon goatee I suppose.

When I had a full beard I still used my razors to keep the neck line and cheek lines clean. I let the whiskers grow long off my chin and then tapered their length (preferred using a pair of barber's shears and a comb) along the sides so that it was quite short at the top of my jawbone/below my ears.

Badger-Face likes this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So are we going to see actual photos of all this facial hair, fellas?

I'll start: Clean shaven, except for a little silver soul remnant below the lower lip…
    Tough to shave around, but its all I have left! :o
    [​IMG]

macaronus, swarden43 and Badger-Face like this.
  14. Badger-Face

Badger-Face Well-Known Member

Worth would be proud. [​IMG]

15. Glaswegian

Glaswegian Member

I've been sporting a Van Dyke for most of my adult life. I started growing it after getting a pretty bad cut on the chin playing basketball, and not being able to shave that part of my face.

16. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

I will not leave the house until I have a clean shave.
    I was never very good at tending a garden.
    After 78 years of facial torture I discovered the shaving brush and real, not synthetic, lather.
    Now 3+ years later I thoroughly enjoy shaving with my Rolls Razors and a different brush for each day of the week. From Synthetic, Boar, Horsehair, Several Badgers Finest and Silver Tip.
    I have settled on three shaving creams that I work easily into rich, warm lathers in my home made electric scuttle.
    I have tried pre shave and after shave goop of various makes. I don't use them at all.
    But I do use after shave lotions. I just discovered Aqua Velva Musk - Perfection.
    I am now an empty nester and have designed and renovated my bathroom for masculine convenience and shaving pleasure.
    I am spoiled rotten.
    Mickey

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    macaronus, Slow Joe, Ryan B and 2 others like this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

How 'bout posting over here ---> What do ya look like?

18. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I like the chart. It is very informative.

19. Vince

Vince New Member

After being clean shaven for most of my life, I started growing a full beard a couple of weeks ago. The change was inspired by an article I read that showed how facial hair tends to draw attention away from a balding head. The before-and-after pictures made the point, so I'm trying it. I've gotten lots of compliments.

I plan to keep my beard well trimmed, but not to the point of it looking overly manicured. I'm considering a straight razor for my cheek line and neck line, because the bare blade makes it easier to see exactly where you're shaving. I've found that it's easy to misjudge with a blade encased in a razor head or cartridge.

20. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I have a big old graying cowboy mustache. I had a van dyke style beard for quite a few years, but it was getting more gray than brown and the Just For Menface stuff was not that great of an option. So, off came the chin whiskers and now I have more face to shave.