Cleaning Estate pipes

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by wchnu, Jul 7, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

This may have been covered before. I am getting more into pipes and expect that I will pick up some estate pipes. How is the best way to clean them before use? I would think washing the stim to start. What else is usually needed though?

Keithmax and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Fuzzy!

Step one:

Plug stem and shank with cleaner, then fill bowl with salt. Pour a little vodka onto the salt. Don't overfill. Let this dry for two days. This will cleanse old tar. Salt will draw it out. Tap out and swab with bristle cleaner.

Step two: trim and even out cake in bowl if needed.

Step three: polish stems shiny using baking soda and water paste. Then polish with tiny amount of olive oil or other light vegetable oil. The brown is oxidation. It's beautiful underneath! Buff until happy.

Step four:

Saturate a rag in Pledge furniture polish. Let rag dry until scent is almost gone. Use this waxy cloth for general polishing.

Step four:

Smoke some stuff.

3. Bama Samurai

Use cheap vodka and soft pipe cleaners for daily stem swab. Bristle cleaner and vodka once every couple of weeks. Specialized pipe cleaning fluid costs 10x as much as a pint of cheap hundred proof.

Keithmax, RyX and wchnu like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

WOoo thanks!!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Forgot:

If bowl has carbon on lip, you can gently remove it with dry #0000 or finer steel wool.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  6. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Keithmax, RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesone thanks guys. New hobby I am learning.

RyX and AGHisBBS like this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I do all of this and take the additional step of using a pipe retort system; it totally wipes out the ghost of other smokes.

Keithmax and Bama Samurai like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I will check that out.

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Keithmax, wchnu and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

I used the large crystal sea salt and alcohol method on an estate pipe or two. Stuffing in a fuzzy pipe cleaner through the draft hole keeps salt from getting stuck & large crystal doesn't hurt either.
    Upside - Everclear goes well with minty sweet tea. :eatdrink047:

12. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Many years ago I worked in a tobacconist shop. We would clean our estate pipes with thick pipe cleaners dipped in high proof rum or whiskey.
    Worked just fine.

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  13. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I'm resurrecting an old thread here. I've been using a cheap cob pipe. I just picked up a couple of nice old estate pipes in a whim super cheap. I plan to use the steps @BamaSamurai mentioned in cleaning them up. What should I use to clean and sanitize the stem inside and out before buffing?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Keithmax, RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The pipe cleaner dipped in vodka does good inside the stem.i I figure the baking soda cleaning on the outsideof the stem will take care of that too.

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Yes

SharptoothC likes this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Woo I got one right!!!

SharptoothC and RyX like this.