Cleaning safety razor with Scrubbing Bubbles question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Alex7, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I bought a Goodwill recently that still had a blade in it. You could see the edges and tabs, but when I unscrewed the handle I had to pry the cap off of the base plate. The blade was stuck to the plate and old dried soap scum was completely covering it. Once clean, I found that the blade was made in 1951.

2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Hey, I paid just over $11 for them, and they're for entertainment. I believe the center one is a Red Tip, so if that cleans up well, I can sell it for what I paid for the lot, and still have had the fun :)

3. Bookworm

Yeah, I don't know why sellers seem to think that leaving a rusted blade in the razor increases the value.

Once I've sold off the bulk of my "collection", I may go hunting a GoodWill to see how it shaves.

4. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I've never used my Goodwill. It definitely shows the years. It is interesting how the cap and plate are loose when there isn't a blade installed, even if the handle is screwed on tight. When you have a blade in everything is tight. Photos of mine were posted on TSD's The Haul thread for June. http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-haul-june-2017.56132/page-19#post-1269558

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Wrong. Stropping and honing apply force to the edge in different and opposite directions. Applying force against the bevel with skin to straighten the edge is total nonsense. And... No, we aren't arguing over this. It's just incorrect.

wchnu and Bird Lives like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

(it doesn't work, but I know you don't care.)

Terry Williams and Bird Lives like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Factory alignment marks for grinding.

Bird Lives likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

For certain razors, Schick injectors, this is an advantage. Even money that a bladeless Schick will have a damaged head from someone using a plyers to remove a blade.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I got one in a lot that looked like they used a flad head screwdriver to pry the head open. Straight to the garbage it went.

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yep, I've had three thus ruined, A, F, and G

twhite and wchnu like this.
  11. Bookworm

Interesting. I think that all of my Schicks are bladeless, but they don't show any damage that _I_ can tell. Since I don't shave with them, take that as you will. When I lay them back out in a day or so, I'll get close ups so people here can tell me if I shouldn't bother hanging on to them.

12. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

So, you'll be...Goodwill Hunting, so to speak. ;)

13. Bookworm

*GibbsSlap*

'65 G-Slim likes this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You often can't tell until you insert a blade and it won't load or stay secured properly. A Schick should always have a blade or blank in it, some E2 models with the opening spring the sole exception, the only proper way to remove a blade is insert a replacement.

On the other hsnd, if you don't shave with them (huh?) I guess it really doesn't make much difference.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  15. Bookworm

They came with lots. I have no vested interest in them.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There should be laws you know.

twhite and jmudrick like this.