Cleaning up a razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sean102385, Jan 7, 2010.

1. sean102385

sean102385 Member

Just to make sure that i know what i am doing when my 50s SS comes in the mail tomorrow, as far as cleaning it up and making it look new and shiny again.

Scrubbing bubbles -good way to attack it and get the gunk off.
    Never Dull -Good to get off the gunk and oxidation that is left over from scrubbing bubbles(if any at all)
    Maas(or a similar product)- to buff and shine it up.

Is there anything that i may be missing? I have also heard of boiling it for about 5 minutes?

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

In case it is really gunked up... toothpaste and an old tooth brush

a soft cloth for polishing...

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

My dad told me to use white vinegar and a few drops of dish liquid. Scrub it in with an old toothbrush. Rinse. Beautiful results ensue.

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I doubt you'll need the Never Dull and I've never used it. Otherwise, it looks like your set.

The boiling is good on non-gold all-metal razors that are VERY gunked up. Not needed on most razors and a bad idea on razors with plastic parts or gold coatings.

5. sean102385

sean102385 Member

Will the Scrubbing bubbles take care of little rust spots under the TTO Doors?

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

if its rust spots then no... if it is water deposits then maybe.

I have never used never dull.. and like said above, boiling isn't always a good idea.

When I get a razor, I use scrubbing bubbles then toothpaste and brush over it. I will repeat this until satisfied that it is gunk free. If there aren't any mechanical problems I then polish with Maas or similar (currently using Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish). Be careful, this stuff will polish it up nice and shiny, but it can take off what is left of the nickel plating as well. Then hit it with toothpaste again to clean off all the polish residue. I end with a barbicide or alcohol soak.