Cold Water Shave

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Smedley, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Smedley

Smedley New Member

You can do it, but Mother of God, why would you want to???

I think the other units in this building have a hot tub orgy on random Saturday nights. They plan it so they leave enough for my shower/bath, but when shaving time comes around, goodbye hot water!

I wouldn't mind so much if they extended an invitation to me. ::bath

Today I feel especially virtuous. Just not as relaxed as I do after a nice hot water shave. Mind, I could sort of feel the cold metal blade on my skin better, so it was a good learning exercise. And I can't complain that I'm especially irritated or with razor burn. Still. I wouldn't do this voluntarily.

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My dumb brother-in-law used to shave quite often with cold water, and plain soap, no brush, just ordinary bath soap. His reason? He felt it's better to keep the pores closed all the time. Now, on a rare occasion, he'll use Proraso and a brush, but always cold water. He claims it intensifies the cooling effect from Proraso. :confused: :confused:

Jeff

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I dont think I want to try that but I read somewhere that if you rinse your straight in cold water before and during the shave, the straight will cut better and smoother. Well, I have tried this method a couple of times this past week and I must say there might be something to this method. It could be related to how metal after heated(stroping before shaving) reacts to cold water. Maybe one of the experts can chime in. Maybe just my imagination...

Raf

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Had to a couple of days when the hot water heater for the showers at work blew. Cold shower and cold shave with goo in a can and a twin disposable. It wasn't pretty.

5. murchmb

murchmb Member

I have read that in the past as well, only it was in reference to safety and cartridge razors. I'm thinking it was in Esquire, GQ, or some such magazine.

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Mike, I have been using this method for a couple of weeks and for whatever reason it seems to work well with my straights.

Raf

7. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Tried the cold water rinse with the straight this morning. Worked well. Thanks for the tip Raf.

8. timc

timc New Member

Have you considered using a kettle to get your water hot?

9. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Exactly:eek:

10. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

I think that I will wait until the summer here in Texas to try a cold water shave. That might just be refreshing on a hot day.

11. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Usually I have hot water. And when I was soaking my soap after my shower of hot water, I had hot water. It was when I tried to start building lather in my mug that suddenly, no hot water.

At that point, I just said "Forget it" and went ahead with the cold water shave.

12. xEliteGunnerX

xEliteGunnerX New Member

Sorry lol even if it does help I can't take a cold shower I like to keep my downer area hotter I prefer when its not cold because yeah... But, Uh lol the tips true my friend actually does that he said the results are great so if you can go through it I say do or die.

Jk, Thanks.

13. qaswer

qaswer New Member

I shall like not to shave if hot water is not available . Cold water has a bad effect on my skin and my skin always stretched after cold water shave .

14. MaduroMan_wcp

MaduroMan_wcp New Member

got my belly full of cold water shaving, along with no soap and dry shaving, when I was in the army

15. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

My room mate in college (cira 1970) insisted that shaving with cold water. He thought it kept the blades sharper thus lasting longer. I really never put much faith in him though...........not after be blew the window out of our room trying to make cider!

16. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

:rofl:Cold water shave= Less razor-bumps? Hmmmm... Where've I heard that before?

17. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I've been cold-water shaving all summer, and I love it. I prep warm or hot, but shave and rinse with cold. I may keep doing it even in the winter.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Bill_F, Dzia Dzia and Jayaruh like this.
  19. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I have started to shave with cold water. I used to think it was uncomfortable to wash my face with cold water, not I like it very much.

20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor