cold water vs hot water shave: Can you really tell the difference?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by tazorac, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

I didn't notice a difference in shave performance but I take a warm shower before I shave, then I shave with cold. I like the cooling feeling after shaving and it seems to help settle the skin after shaving.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

MObigfoot likes this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

This is my experience as well

MObigfoot likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The debate on cold vs warm/ hot water is really one that you the shaver will only be able to answer.
    Your decision to try both cold and hot for three days is probably the right way to do it.
    Good luck! Please report back your findings.
    Kerry

Eeyore and MObigfoot like this.
  4. hairball

hairball New Member

the main difference, and issue will be how the soap lathers in the cold water versus the hot. for some reason my favorite soaps need warm at the minimum to lather up in my water.

MObigfoot likes this.
  5. Aussierazor

Aussierazor Member

Have tried cold but it wasn't for me, however i do find rinsing with cold after my final pass does help in closing pores, small weepers/nicks but also refreshing especially if any irritation.

6. 2hot 2trot

2hot 2trot Active Member

I am yet to try a cold shave but I will definitely give it a go.

7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

It's really fun when you first cold water shave with Stirling Lemon Glacial Chill. Boy that was an eye opener but still good.

8. SelfGroomedMan

SelfGroomedMan New Member

Just a thought (more like a theory), but maybe it depends more on the technique of the shave. Sometimes irritation happens because the whiskers are cut beneath skin-level. With warm water, the pores will open up more and make that more possible. On the other hand cold water may prevent this since the pores won't open up so much during the shave.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There are no muscles attached to pores. Ergo, no opening or closing of pores.

To quote:
    The myth: Pores open and close. The truth: Despite what your mother told you, you can't steam your pores open. 'Pores do not have muscles around their opening to allow them to open and close,' says Pon. However, steaming the skin can help loosen up underlying debris, making blackheads easier to extract.
    Myths and truths about your pores | Best Health Magazine Canada

10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Yes, cold can be "tuggy", but it is less irritating.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Tugging may be less irritating, but it is more uncomfortable.

With hot/warm water means less tug, more comfort.
    With equipment I know works for me, and attention to proper technique, less irritation.
    Hmmm...

Cold water = less irritation, less comfort (more tug)
    Hot water = more comfort (less tug), but must be paired with known equipment and good technique. That means I can have my cake and eat it, too!

(This is what works for me and how I enjoy my shaves.)

MR41 likes this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a difference. Hot water all the way for me. YMMV.