Comparing two Gillette NEW razors ...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by wquiles, Aug 28, 2012.

1. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

I started shaving with a DE just about 2 weeks ago with an EJ DE-89. But I have been reading and wanting to try an open comb razor, so I got two different variations of the Gillette NEW.

The first one was either replated at some point, or it has seen little use:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It does have the slight barrel crack that I have seen on most of these:
    [​IMG]

The other one is a solid handle, but with a lot more wear on it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are photos comparing them both, side by side:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They "feel" different in the hand - the balance point of each one is different. Sorry about the out-of-focus, but here is their weight in ounces:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I shaved with the one with the solid handle, and I liked it. In fact, I liked it, and it felt better in the hand than my new EJ DE-89 razor (which I will be selling shortly!). I will try the ball-end tomorrow to see how it feels like.

Can folks who know more about these tell me more about them please?

Will

brit, Tdmsu, Demidog and 1 other person like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Can't tell you anything about them, but I would bet that the plating on the hollow handle razor is original. It has that slightly brassy look old Gillette gold plate razors have. Nice razors.:)

brit and Tdmsu like this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

They are each examples of the Gillette 1930's long comb new type. You have both variants of the handle..the ball end type and the bar type. Both razors are gold plated. The main difference between them as you've surmised, is in the balance and the way the razor is usually held for shaving. The bar handle has a balance point right under head and is meant to be held directly under the head where the handle narrows and is extremely head heavy. The ball end type has a more handle heavy design and can be gripped lower down. These are just general guide lines and you can really hold the shaver any way you see fit. Personally I find that it is helpful to place a finger under the end of the handle to support the razor whilst shaving. They are nice razors and in great condition. Use them in good health and do not boil them. Welcome to TSD!..

Tdmsu, Robyflexx, B-3 and 1 other person like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

One (two) of the Truly Best Safety Razors Ever you have right there. You may find the handles/heads do not interchange because the neck recess on the bottom of one plate may be smaller than on the other - and the pics suggest this is so - but a quick switcheroo will tell the tale.

I just bought a bar handle (the fat one you have) off of Ebay to go with the NEW head I recently re-acquired and have gained even more respect for than I already had (which was considerable).

If I had to choose only one of my two potential nickel replates to do - a brassy late '40s Aristocrat or my brassed, copperhead NEW - I honestly am not sure which...but I lean toward the NEW.

Here endeth the sermon. Whichever handle you go with, or both, enjoy the NEW!

Tdmsu and Robyflexx like this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I own and have used both razors. I tend to like the fat handle a little better than the ball end also, however both are excellent shavers. If you polish the fat handle down to the brass and copper its a really fantastic looking razor. You can then spray it with a clear laquer or poly or gunkoat. Also you can use both handles on your EJ89, I would try that before selling the EJ, you'll get a new perspective and possibly find you like the EJ alot better with a different/better handle(I'm assuming you have that slick, smooth handle for the EJ).

Tdmsu likes this.
  6. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I have the same bar handled NEW and it's on my short list of items to get replated as well. Such a good shaver. Enjoy them both!

7. SteveLL

SteveLL New Member

I too have the bar handled NEW and like it so well I rarely use any of my other razors, but I've never tried the ball end. I'm torn between getting mine plated or find another one, this one was my father's.

8. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a similar Ball-End that is called "Federal." It seems to be identical to the Ball-End except it comes with a plated blade holder. Both are equally fine shavers with subtle differences in "feel."

9. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

Thank you guys for the feedback and information.

I now had shave with both of them, and so far I prefer the slimmer handle of the ball end model - feels better in the hand t0 me. And both of these feel better than my new EJ DE-89 razor.

I also got these two used Gillette's (of course not NEW models): A 1967 Aristocrat Ajustable in Gold, and a 1965 Super Speed. Both are in really great shape, specially the Aristocrat, which shows almost no wear whatsoever on the soft gold platting:
    [​IMG]

I remember reading in the "Leisureguy's Guide to Gouemet Shaving" and how often the term "aggressive" vs non-aggressive was being applied to various razors. After shaving with both NEW Gillettes, and then today with the Super Speed, now I "get it" - the Super Speed is in fact a less aggressive razor - it is almost hard to get cut/nicked with it. With the NEW, I have to be a lot more mindful of the angle, lack of pressure, etc., but with the Super Speed, it is relatively much easier. Of course, the "easy" shave comes with a slightly less close shave than with the NEW, so there is always a compromise. After shaving with the Super Speed, I also like it much better than the EJ DE-89 razor.

I hope to try the Aristocrat (at a low setting first!) tomorrow. I am really digging these "old" razors :D

Will

Tdmsu, Bird Lives, PLANofMAN and 3 others like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I just got my New nickel plated. I picked it up at an antique mall last September and it was a little rough looking, but Sam Duran did a great job giving it new life.
    new_replate.jpg new_replate2.jpg

brit, Tdmsu and feeltheburn like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thread Resurrection!
    One of my Honey Hole in the Wall shops tucked a couple Gillettes behind the counter waiting for my next visit. I think I've identified this as a 1930's "New" long comb bar handle.
    Gillette New Long comb.gif
    Do the patent numbers narrow it down any closer on date or model/type?
    The plating is worn off the cap, I see copper rather than brass. Normal?

Tdmsu, Jorvaljr and Jayaruh like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Great find. Wonderful shaver.

RyX likes this.
  13. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

The Gillette NEW safety razor was made during 1929 to 1941, the Great Depression decade of the 1930s. It is one of the better razors that Gillette has made, and Gillette made many fine models. They come in 3 or 4 different handle styles. The "bar end" handle (the thicker handle) that you have is the most common. I believe the patent numbers are the same on the various models. It looks to me that someone deliberately buffed off the gold finish of the cap. That's not a problem. Maybe a previous owner was preparing to re-plate it, and changed his mind.

brit and RyX like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

I haven't purchased it yet. Previous holiday tapped my entertainment fund & here comes another. I discussed bartering with the shop owner. Hoping I can make a trade of something from my pile of vintage (non-shaving related) stuff for her old razor.

She purchased it from an estate sale, knowing I'd be around to see it. There was another - an 3pc OC ball end handle with a different cap. The kind with two rounded pegs? It showed signs of recent coarse sandpaper abuse and deep flea bites through the remaining nickel plating. Also a 4th quarter '59 FatBoy with a stuck adjuster. It was fair condition, straight, in a crusty broken display box. I told her about hot water/Dawn/mineral oil to restore possible adjuster function. If she gets the #195 unstuck it'll go to ebay, or a price above my paygrade. All my vintage gear has been in the less than $20 price range.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  15. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Why don't you ask her to hold on to them. Once the holidays are over you can buy them. I've bought slims and fatboys that were completely frozen and I was able to get them unstuck.

16. RyX

RyX DoH!

I was unfamiliar with the two 3pc OC's until I read this thread. Not interested in the ball end - cracked or splitting handles are common, and the damage done by someones attempt to clean it up. But the bar handle, I may get it yet!
    I've been lucky with the FatBoys that I've bought for cheap. Always in person where I can check the function, and never paid more than $14 for one. If I'd had cash in my pocket I'd have offered her a ten spot "as is". I figured I'd educate her on an easy restore. She might get $50 for the fatty, and I gain good karma on the swap for the OC that I liked.

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

The rest of this razor appeared to be either dulled gold plate or brass. Is a copper cap common?
    Gillette 3pc OC New long comb bar handle.gif

18. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Copper cap is very common. Sometimes there's just no saving the gold on a razor. What you end up with is a brass and copper steampunk look.

Tdmsu and RyX like this.
  19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I had an adjustable very much like your aristocrat when I first rediscovered classic wet shaving...That a priceless learning tool...I started on #3 and continued on each number til the great effortless shaves got boring. Then I'd move up a setting....after mastering #9 I started moving back down...Actually #'s 1 and 2 were the hardest to get great 3 pass perfection. But once obtained, I realised I had the technique to get great shaves from most any good razor/ blade combo....as @Bama Samurai says "Technique Trumps Tools" and this is so true....You will always have favorites though abd I bet all 3 of those will stay favs too...But later when your chops are solid, you need to try the Schick injectors...

Oh...check out the scene where James Bond shaves on Goldfinger's Jet.....He uses a gillette slim, and it's not just a razor but it's also one if his gadjets in that film....

Tdmsu, Troy M and RyX like this.
  20. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Nice razors! Those old Gillette razors use a more shallow angle than what modern ones use. That is the most difficult thing to remember for me when I pick up my NEW for a shave.