Complete Review, The Cadet Open Comb Head

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Azarius, Aug 30, 2012.

1. trader ron

trader ron Well-Known Member

Well, I pulled the trigger. I just couldn't resist. I ordered TP-26 OC and TTO-15. Can't wait to get them. Thanks to all you enablers out there!! ;)

Smoothy, Azarius and GDCarrington like this.
  2. Devildog

Devildog New Member

I couldn't either so I bought the entire razor. Head and handle

Smoothy likes this.
  3. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

That's what I did as well. That handles look good enough anyway.

4. Joe D.

Joe D. New Member

I ordered one of these and it shipped today!

Can't wait to try it.

Joe

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'm so upset I missed out on the first batch of the Cadet open comb heads. I want to mate it to my Weber SS BullDog handle and Durham Duplex handle. I check shaveabuck regularly hoping to catch the next batch. If it shaves me as well as it looks, it's going to be one sweet razor head.

6. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I'm really starting to wish these had been released before I bought a Merkur 1904 OC. It's just waaaaay too mild for me but these look like they'd be an affordable addition to my den...

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Easy to just email the owner, Joe is a regular on many forums. Anytime I have contacted he always responds promptly. I am sure with this thread many would like to know the estimated time of arrival of the next batch of heads.

8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Oh so he just removed the heads from the site while they're out of stock? I see the full razors listed as Out, but the heads alone seem to be nowhere at all.

9. 178-bplatoon

Yes after I watched and debated myself over getting one for two weeks, they sold out about a week-10 days ago. I should know better, you need to move on things when you see them and not wait, especially for $12! Oh well hopefully he restocks soon.

Hanzo likes this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

"LOL" that was actually part of my problem. I wrote Joe twice to ask some questions about the Cadet heads with no response using the contact form on his site. When I finally thought to just email him directly from my email he answered very quickly, but unfortunately it was too late they were all gone. :sad024:

[Edit]: I want to add that I've dealt with Joe a few times over the last two years and have always had good service and was very happy with my purchases. Just a computer glich this time messed me up, not any fault of Joe. I just wrote him in fact to see if there is any time frame for restocking more Cadet razor heads.

Hanzo likes this.
  11. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

I'm sure he will. Seems like it was a pretty successful run for him!

12. 178-bplatoon

My only worry with Joe is that sometimes he doesn't restock certain razors. I'm not sure what his restock criteria for a razor is. I got a Sabi T2 from him months ago(great handle,nice weight and knurling) and wanted a friend to check it out, but he has never restocked them. I'm just hoping I'll be on the site if the Cadet open comb heads come back :).

13. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

I missed the boat on the T2 and sadly I do not think he is dealing with that Taiwan based OEM supplier any more.

To be honest, I do not think Joe will be offering the heads any longer and only selling them as complete Razors. He at first was only offering two open comb razors and the head, now every three piece Cadet razor has an option of closed comb or open comb.

From a business stand point I understand why he would do this, he is now selling complete razors, thus making more money than just off a head. It is really too bad he cannot get more of the T1 and T2 handles and pair those up....now that would be a razor!

On the flip side, in today market $24 is still a great deal for a razor. How many people pay $40 for a FaTip only to take off the handle to pair it with something else? I actually think that the TP-24, TP-26 and TP-27 are all good looking razors, and I can tell you from my own experience that the weight and grip is very nice on the TP-26.

trader ron likes this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

I see what your saying and from a business stand point I agree kind of, EXCEPT I didn't get a head "lol". In fact the T2 Sabi handle is what I wanted to mate the open comb Cadet head to. I think that would make a really nice looking razor. I just really don't need another spare handle right now. I'm on the list for the next batch of Weber razors to come out as it is. I'll have to check out the TP-26 a little closer though I guess. :signs131: R.A.D. is such a persistent condition!!!!

15. Joe D.

Joe D. New Member

Got the razor today, before this I used a Edwin Jagger DE89BA11 and before that a Merkur Classic 33C.

I shaved at 9pm (I shaved at 7:30 am today), I could not wait and I had enough stubble to try it. I loaded it with a new Gillette SharpEdge (Yellow) and made two passes and got a very close BBS shave. I've never gotten this close of a shave before. I always had stubble showing on my cheeks no matter how I tried WTG, ATG & XTG, stretching the skin, etc.

I'm going to take tomorrow off and shave with it again on Sunday morning.

It went well, a couple of small cuts and I can feel a little burn which reminds me of first shaves with the 33C after using junk razors for years.

I need to learn to go a little slower with a razor like this, I may have been too quick with it and I might have applied a little pressure also, hard to say. The TP-26 for me, may not need a blade as sharp as the Gillette yellow, but I'll have to keep that in there for a while to see if that's the case.

With my rough beard, this may be the type of razor that I need to make it easier to get a nice clean shave.

Hope this made some kind of sense.

Joe

Switchermike likes this.
  16. G22inSC

G22inSC Member

The site mentions the TP-26 as having a "solid brass frame." Does that include the head? Does anyone know if it could have issues like some of the Merkurs with the plating and subsequent corrosion? Thought about trying one out as my first OC down the road sometime. Maybe I could use an iKon Bulldog handle. Wander if that would fit?

17. Joe D.

Joe D. New Member

Had my second shave today, took my time and I was careful not to apply any pressure. This razor has a nice heavy feel to it, so I let it do the work. Even though I've been a DE shaver for over 3 months, I probably still have some bad habits leftover from shaving with the Fusion / Disposables and this razor seems not to let you get away with any!

Nice clean shave with no cuts or nicks and just a little razor burn, my face just may need to get used to a razor that is more aggressive than what I've used before.

It's probably save to say it's a great buy at the current price :happy036:

Joe

trader ron, GDCarrington and Hanzo like this.
  18. trader ron

trader ron Well-Known Member

Just shaved with the TP-26 OC. I LOVE IT!! This is my first OC razor and after one shave I am already hooked.
    The only other DE razor I have used is the EJ89L (which I also love). I heard this razor was more aggressive so I was very careful and let the weight of the razor do the work, as suggested by many. I had a very close, clean shave. In fact, it was one of the best shaves I have had in awhile. Can't wait to use it again.
    I also bought the TTO-15. I want to try that one but it will have wait until I have used the OC a few more hundred times! :)

19. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

As mentioned in 'The Haul' thread, I have now also received my much anticipated Cadet TP-26. I have not shaved with it yet as my aim is to compare it with the 12C from Merkur which I have also only just received. I am familiar with the head of the 12C and only have to get used to the length and weight of the its handle. After that (I assume by next week or latest the following week) I will load the TP-26 and lather up!

First impressions: Very decent finish, excellent texture (and therefore grip) of the handle, good balance although a good bit longer than the 12C. Despite that length difference, it does not feel as hefty and solid as does the Merkur. I don't mean to say the TP-26 doesn't feel solid, it sure does but it is noticeably lighter than the German OC, which has a wee bit more heft to it. But this is not necessarily a bad thing, I'll see how it shaves. And I do like this handle...

Here some first impression photographs, taken with a real camera:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Azarius, Switchermike and trader ron like this.
  20. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

Hi Arley,

Thank you so much for such a great review.

Cheers, Lyndon