Copper and Brass Gillette

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MsBlackwolf, Feb 15, 2009.

1. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Thanks

Thanks as well, Etoyoc. I learned something new today, that of being a Gillette DE 3-piece razor is not always called a "Tech". I guess "Tech" is an actual term that was used to name a group of three-piece DE razors during a certain period.:o

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

No problem...

The tech was out from 1939 to 1973 and had a very long run so that the markets are full of techs. It can be easy to get the idea that all 3 piece Gillettes were called techs. Over the years, the Tech went through a series of design changes, but one thing separates all Tech razors from the older 3 piece designs (old style, New Improved, NEW) is the fact that the Tech has a safety bar and not open comb teeth.

The tech came in different handle styles. The two most common handles were a bar type handle (same size as the bar handle for the NEW but with a different knurling pattern) and a ball end handle (thinner and solid unlike the hollow older ball end handles).

There were travel techs that came in little pouches with much smaller handles. There were techs made in England with a light weight aluminum handle. There were military techs with black handles, techs with plastic handles, and other varieties over the years as well. Oh and of course, we can't forget the Psycho Tech! It had a key in the handle so that the blade was locked in and couldn't be removed by an inmate. The modern Gillette 7 O'clock 3 piece razor is basically a tech.

3 Piece Gillete Razor timeline and some info to identify {links go to Mr. Razor website}:
    1904-1906 Double Ring Old Style (two cone shaped pins on either side of cap to hold blade in place)
    1906-1929 Single Ring Old Style (two cone shaped pins on either side of cap to hold blade in place)
    1921-1928 New Improved (many varieties and names - it all depends on the set and box it was sold in) (uses the cone system but the bottom guard is thicker and the bottom is flat)
    1929-1941 NEW (long slot to hold blade in place)
    1931 Good Will (reverse style pins/studs - many different styles)
    1939-1973 Tech (safety bar - no open comb teeth)

3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Great old thread. I just got a NEW and did a google search on Gillette patent 17567, got this link and it answered all my questions.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Gillette Rasierer.htm
    If you have any in the future, check here first. That's what most of us "oldtimers" do.:cool:

Erik Redd likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

But then that takes all the fun out of being at TSD and reading great threads like this!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Thanks, I bookmarked it for future reference. Somehow I enjoy shaving with razors older than I am, but I'm keeping my eye out for a 1958 fatboy (my birth year) just because, and I'll pick up a slim adjustable somewhere along the way too.

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    :prrr:

Erik Redd and swarden43 like this.
  8. anaguma

anaguma New Member

This thread is long dead, but I just wanted to thank these posters for confirming something which I suspected. The only way to confirm the "model" of a bar handled NEW razor is by looking at the box. (How silly!) I just bought a Bostonian for $26.00. The seller didn't know it was a "Bostonian" ... or at least it was being sold with a Bostonian box.

But honestly, who cares about what "model" it is? The difference is whether it is long or short comb, hollow bar handle or solid ball end. Right?