Couple questions about the Merkurs

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sas71, Feb 8, 2009.

1. sas71

sas71 Member

1. Is the 33c the one called "the classic"?

2. Does it open like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCxG-n9ot6M

at some point id like to have a non silo style DE but i dont think id like having 3 separate pieces like the Tech to dicker with when changing the blades.

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I love my 3 piece razors.. Go Gillette and Star..BOOOO merkur. :D

Fuzzy

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Yes, it opens like that.

A 3-piece isn't that bad. One big advantage is it is much more compact when disassembled. This makes storage and transportation better.

On the other hand, the configuration shown in the video (which is original set up on Gillette as well) is nice in tightening the head. You aren't as likely to slice a finger.

4. ateace

ateace Member

33c / 34c

The 33c is also referred to as the Classic. It is a three-piece razor.

The 34c is also referred to as the Heavy Duty or HD. It is a two-piece razor.

Both are great.

5. sas71

sas71 Member

so it opens like the HD

ok now im confused. when you change blades in the classic is it going to be 3 separate pieces like an old Tech or is just the top coming off like the HD?

6. robxcarlson

robxcarlson New Member

The Merkur Classic, both short and long, are three piece razors like the tech... I think it's a great design and three piece razors are my favorite, as well as the Merkur classic being my favorite razor. Much less to go wrong with these razors and changing the blade isn't really a big deal.

7. sas71

sas71 Member

ok now im straight. is there a Merkur thats just like the HD only with a slimmer handle?

as far as 3 pieces i like the looks of the Muhle.

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Well I am glad I went back and looked at this post. I was under the impression that the slant, HD, barberpole, classic, etc. all had the same build in regards to a long thread on the cap with the comb/guard attached semi-perm to the handle.

So.... which models are a true 3 piece, you can't tell from the usual pictures which show them completely assembled.

9. ateace

ateace Member

The three-piece, Tech-type models are the Classic, Long Handle Classic and the 1904.

The two-piece models are the HD, Barberpole and Slant models. These screw/unscrew from the bottom and release the top of the head for blade changes.

10. sas71

sas71 Member

good info..i was gonna get around to asking which ones where 2 and 3 pieces eventually . sites that sell the Merkurs should put that in the description.