Covering soap mug when not using???

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by EagleOne, Feb 15, 2009.

1. EagleOne

EagleOne New Member

I have a question for the group.
    This morning the wife and I were discussing DE shaving and she told me that she thought I should cover my shave mug with saran wrap or ??? when not using it because it is a breeding ground for bacteria.
    I said that I had never heard of such a thing...but it did make sense.
    Any opinions on this???
    Thanks

2. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I don't keep any soaps in my mug but I do keep them in containers. All of my soaps with screw on lids get covered. The only soap that I don't cover is my Tabac. I will let it 'air' out for a day before I cover it. I don't know if covering helps or not, I don't cover my bath soap so I can't imagine it would breed bacteria, but I may be wrong.

3. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I keep my shaving soap in a small glass bowl with a lid. I wasn't thinking bacteria but to retain scent and keep out any dust. I leave the lid open a crack so the soap dries out for a while after use though.

4. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

The PH of soap is high enough that it discourages most germs or bacteria getting a foothold in there. I wouldn't cover it, so extra water would evaporate.

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I cover certain soaps, but others, I don't. My shaving sticks, with the exceptions of Speick, Erasmic and Arko come with closable holders.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have VDH and some Williams in open mugs.. never had a issue with them getting a runny nose or sort throat.. so I guess they are ok.:D

Serious answer is I do not think it matters.

Fuzzy

7. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I will add that I have QED soap uncovered and it seem to have "dried" up a bit and shrunk not being covered. Not enough to alter the performance but still noticeable.

8. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Actually I would think covering w/out drying can create the breeding ground she's worried about. Covering the mug would retain heat and moisture; both prerequisites for breeding bacteria. Of course as mentioned soap is not a host for bacteria anyway so I wouldn't worry about it. All my tubs of soap and cream have lids. I dry them after use and re-cover w/ no problems. My mugs and bowls for lathering I keep uncovered and dry after use...also no problems.

9. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

If you consider how loose fitting most of the wooden soap containers are, then I don't really think you have a lot to worry about. I don't hear a lot of people complaining about the bacterial cultures they have found growing on their GFT, DR Harris, or other similar soaps that come in wooden containers. I would definitely let the soap dry before you enclose it. I think a constantly moist soap would run more of a risk for this to happen. But honestly, I have found pieces of regular bath soap that have been sitting out forever and never seen any kind of growth on them. Soaps and detergents aren't the best growth media for most bacteria - those that would grow in such environments are not so common in your everyday life, and I wouldn't worry about picking them up unless you work with them in a lab!

10. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

Saran wrap?:eek: I wouldn't want to seal it up airtight. For my own use, I found some old plastic coasters, picked up in a junk shop years ago. They probably slow down evaporation, and keep the big cooties from falling into the mug/cup.

11. I think it pretty much has most of the same properties as bar soap.
    I leave my Tabac uncovered because the puck is too big to fit a lid over, and it seems fine.

I wouldn't worry about it.

12. DanOK

DanOK Member

I have seven Old Spice mugs with different soaps in my rotation. A variety of soaps which include tallow soaps, glycerin type soaps, and a goats milk soap. Don't cover them and haven't had any problems to speak of with any of them. I leave the one I use that day out on the counter, till I return home, to allow the soap and mug to properly dry. Haven't had any problems to date.

13. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Yup. Then I do cover mine, but that's for convenient stacking of my Anchor Hocking bowls as much as anything.

14. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Does your wife cover the bar soap in the shower everyday too?

15. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Ohhhhhhh boy. You should tell your wife that she is a breeding ground for bacteria but you dont cover her with saran wrap. Second off, bars of soap DO tend to be bacteria sinks. On the other side, the soaps tested were used as regular hand soap. In theory the only bacteria that will grow on that soap will be the ones that already live on your skin. If you shower prior to shaving, you'll be pretty clean anyway.

My suggestion would be to stop worrying. Leave the soap uncovered until dry and than put it in a closet or something. Dont leave it right out on the sink. Poo particles fly everywhere. Tons of bacteria fly around your bathroom. They love to live on your tooth brush. I keep anything that should be clean off the counter.

16. Besides, Saran Wrap too expensive to cover a whole person, people today just use old carpets. Oh wait, thats for disposing bodies and not bacteria protection.
    :happy102
    Just a funny comment :3

17. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Jeeeeez Tony. You're not living up the the Italian-ess in your name. You always wrap them in saran wrap BEFORE the carpet, otherwise you get blood all over your Cadillacs trunk liner!

18. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

:rofl

19. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Yeah really, I do the saran first, then carpet. No messes in the back of my truck!

20. sas71

sas71 Member

the only soap i have right now is a cake of Williams and its uncovered. for $1.57 im not worried about it at all. after i use it i put it back in the medicine cabinet.