Craftsman straight razor?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Paul76, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

IMG_0092.PNG I'm looking for some opinions and advice here. I'm thinking of purchasing a craftsman straight razor. I didn't even think that they made these, but apparently they did or put their name on ones made by some other company. What kind of quality are they? Craftsman used to be all about quality. Who made them if it was not craftsman? Thanks for the opinions and advice.

Keithmax, brit, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

3. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

5. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Gssixgun replied to me and let me know that it is a good quality razor. Who it is made by. So I decided to pull the trigger on it. I'll post pics when it arrives.
    And the addiction continues

Jayaruh, Spyder, Bama Samurai and 4 others like this.
  6. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Gssixgun let me know he has one and that they are excellent and take an amazing edge, so I decided to buy it. I'll post pics when I have it here. Thanks billy

Jayaruh, Spyder, twhite and 1 other person like this.
  7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I was telling Paul when I did the research on them it seemed that the Chromized like his and mine were made by Koeller (sp*) and the others might have been made by ERN
    It was a little sketchy but that is what I found and it makes a bit of sense ..

Jim99, Spyder, Paul76 and 2 others like this.
  8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I agree that the Craftsman is a wonderful razor. You inspired me to get mine out for a shave. I think you will be pleased with yours, it looks to be in very good shape. Congratulations.

Spyder, Jayaruh, Paul76 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I want to see it when you get it. Congratulations.

Spyder, Paul76 and Billyfergie like this.
  10. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Thank you mr chick. From what I have been told I will be very happy with it.

mrchick, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Oh yes I will be putting pics on here soon after I get it.

Pilotcld, Jim99 and Billyfergie like this.
  12. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

I have one made by ERN .Shaves great !

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  13. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

now I'm bummed out. I was outbid at the last second. That's the part of eBay that I hate.

Spyder, Billyfergie and Jim99 like this.
  14. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'm a strong advocate of E-Bay changing their auction policies to make sniping a non-starter. Basically, if a bid happens in the last 5 minutes, extend the auction to 5 minutes. Then it becomes a real auction, and people can't hide. The need for hiding disappeared a number of years ago when E-Bay made it so that you can't see what someone else has bid on anymore. (Believe me, it was needed then. Some people would maliciously follow a 'winner' around and bid up everything he was bidding on, just to be turkeys. )

Sears, Roebuck, and Co, from about the 1880s until WW-I, bought a lot of products from Belgium and Germany, relabeled with their own brand. I picked up a side by side double barrel, double trigger shotgun for $100 for a customer. Spent about a day cleaning it up (I didn't want to make it new, I just wanted it to look like an old gun, not an old gun stored in a coal chute), and passed it to him for his fireplace. It was labeled Sears, but wasn't even from the US. It turned out to be a spiral welded (fake damascus) shotgun manufactured in Belgium for Sears.

Frankly, anything that they stamped their name upon during that period of time would be quality. Maybe not insanely high quality, but they sold goods that were built to last.

MR41, Spyder, twhite and 3 others like this.
  15. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Oh I agree that they shouldextend it longer when you have someone bid with one second left to where you can't even bid again. And whoever it was will probably realist it right away to try and turn a profit, and not ever use it.

Spyder likes this.
  16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I just looked up what it sold for. That's a fair price that doesn't leave much room for flipping it. The buyer probably bought it for himself. He might have seen it because you were posting about it on multiple forums. I'd play these closer to the vest until you win the auction. Good luck!

Primotenore, Drygulch, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I never worry about snipers. I bid the most that I want to pay for it to start. Then I win or lose.

18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yep, a lot of people read these forums, and have no qualms about outbidding you. That's why I don't mention something I'm interested in, until the bidding is over.
    I've also noticed when a certain type of razor is talked about, on some forums, all of the sudden, the price of that razor is bidding for much higher prices. So, if you are looking for something, at a reasonable price, don't talk about it in the open. P.M. trusted members, and talk about it.

Keithmax, Drygulch, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  19. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Sniping is a Myth in My Eyes..Don't Know where that Comes from..Live Auctions Halls work the Same..Anybody Can Bid at Any Time..Even by Proxy..That's what an Auction is..Many are Faceless..Anyway..The Highest Bidder Always Wins Regardless..:D

Billy..:chores016:

Spyder, mrchick, COMPNOR and 2 others like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

As long as you bid the most you are willing to pay, then it really doesn't matter. You need to decide where you really sit though. Bidding more in the last few minutes than you really wanted to pay has led me to buyer's remorse more than once, and trying to get by cheap has led me to lose things too.

That said a little strategy helps too. Bidding early seems to drive prices up. I quite often try to enter bids as late as possible, just because that is how the game is played. Not saying I like it, it is just the way things are. Maybe I'm dense, but I don't see most things selling for low enough prices that flipping leaves much margin, unless you are investing some type of time in a product: dividing up lots, restoring/repairing, completing sets or collections etc, and then you are just running a sideline. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes. I mean there are always random deals to be found, but I just don't think it happens as often as is talked about. Unobtanium maybe, but user grade "collectibles"? Maybe I am wrong, but it never crosses my mind when I buy something, and I sell stuff all the time.

Keithmax, Spyder, mrchick and 4 others like this.