Creature From the Black Lagoon

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Demidog, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to receive my second Gillette fairly recently and I decided to give all of my razors a good cleaning instead of just this one. The TTO mechanism in the newest acquisition was pretty rough, so I added some mineral oil to the inside of the handle. I did the same for my other vintage Gillette for good measure and I couldn't believe the amount of black gunk that subsequently came out of both razors. I don't understand where this all came from since I put each of my razors through a very extended cleaning regimen when I initially received them.

It seems like the oil managed to coax some crud inside the handle out of hiding. I thought that this was the job of the soapy water soak but clearly the soap didn't do its job. Days later and I'm still seeing hints of this gunk dripping out of the bottom of the handles after running some water over the razors. Has anyone had this happen before?

Also the aforementioned TTO mechanism hasn't become any smoother with the addition of mineral oil. There's actually a chance that it might be slightly worse now.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

If you really want to see some gunk, put them though an ultrasonic cleaner.

Carbide Mike, Omaney and Demidog like this.
  3. Demidog

This actually sounds like a great idea. I'm pretty sure that the razors are as clean as can be on the outside and what's on the inside shouldn't concern me, but I might as well go for it. I was also told that it might help with alignment issues of the butterfly doors.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Could be corrosion and oxidized metal. Soap breaks up oil, You fed it more oil, so the soap might be called for again. I do that when I coax a TTO back to life - alternate oil and Dawn detergent.

preidy, Carbide Mike and Demidog like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Anyone recommend a good ultrasonic cleaner?

Carbide Mike and Demidog like this.
  6. Sergio Avalos

Sergio Avalos Member

Harbor freight has decent one for cheap. The boys in the shop bought a couple for cleaning small parts, $79

Fas est et ab hoste docari

Carbide Mike and Demidog like this.
  7. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

8. Sergio Avalos

Sergio Avalos Member

Demidog and Carbide Mike like this.
  9. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

If it was my razor, I would use Inhibisol or a can of Brakleen. It dissolves oils , grease, and oxidation. Any Brake Cleaner, Electrical cleaner should do the trick. It won't harm your razor, but use it in a well ventilated area. Good luck.

Jayaruh and Demidog like this.
  10. Demidog

That sounds good. One of my local hardware or auto parts stores should have this and at only a few bucks per can, you can't go wrong.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Fas est ab hoste doceri.
    One should learn even from ones enemies

Carbide Mike and Sergio Avalos like this.