Crowne & Crane Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by HolyRollah, Oct 26, 2016.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I picked up two pucks from the Crowne & Crane website after reading this thread: See Here

On the C&C site, the shave soaps are separated into three categories (Tallow, Vegan, Women's). I perused both the tallow and vegan soaps and opted to try two that caught my interest under the Vegan section: "Cognac & Cubans" and "Tobacco Leaf & Amber." I'm a fan of most 'tobacco-scented' products and so this was an easy choice.

The package arrived from C&C a few days later. Upon opening the box, I was hit with a subtle, pleasing aroma of tobacco. In the box was a tub of the jar of the "Cognac & Cubans," a puck of "Tobacco Leaf & Amber" and a free sample of "Lavendar and Cedar" tallow soap. All three had appealing fragrances.

The Lather & Shaves:
    "Cognac & Cubans"A sweet tobacco scent that mellows a bit when lathered. Masculine fragrance. Wife gave it a thumbs-up after a sniff from the jar. Lather development was a cinch. Damp boar brush with about a dozen swirls loaded up the brush well. Not an overly-thirsty soap. What I look for in a quality shave soap is the ability to coat the face with thick lather with minimal effort and without the foamy "drippiness" I've encountered with some non-tallow soaps. I prefer a dense, thick n' slick lather for my straight razor shaves and this soap hits the mark. I can paint my face with a dense layer of this lather and the lather will endure for the entire pass, no matter how leisurely a pace I may be shaving. With some soaps, the lather will begin to dissipate after only a few minutes and thus require additional applications during each pass. This lather lasts and provides top-shelf glide for straight razor shaving.
    "Tobacco Leaf & Amber" — This puck packs a potent tobacco scent. I keep my soap pucks in my wall cabinet and when I opened the door to access this puck, the aroma was as if I had opened a door to the local tobacco shop. :happy088: This puck lathered with ease, and the scent was more 'tobacco-forward' compared to the 'cognac & cubans' aroma. Very pleasing to my nose. Wife also enjoyed the scent. Same top performance as the jar soap!
    Post-shave: After using both of these soaps, my face didn't suffer from any of the dryness that some non-tallow soap can create after a shave. I have very sensitive skin and certain soaps have a 'drying ' effect on my face that can itch or simply not be comfortable. Martin de Candre, a soap that is one of my favorites, can have that effect on my skin if I leave the lather on for a prolonged period. I was pleased that after using each of these soaps that none of that dryness was present. Smooth and moist. :happy088:

I haven't yet used the tallow sample provided (love the lavender/cedar scent!), but so far I've been impressed with the two C&C soap samples I've used for several shaves.

crowne.jpg

2. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

Very nice. I'd love to smell the cedar and lavender that one sounds appealing to me.

Demidog and crackstar like this.
  3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Looks and sounds awesome!

Demidog likes this.
  4. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Nice read & write up!

Demidog likes this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:happy088: Thanks for the review Kevin.

Demidog likes this.
  6. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Great review. The post-shave feel sounds great. I like the ingredients in their soaps and they are on my shortlist. Can't wait to try their soaps myself.

7. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

Can you please post an ingredients list?

8. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

Nevermind. I found them at their site. The tallow formula looks very good, and the vegan formula looks nice, too.