Crystal blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaveO, Jan 25, 2014.

1. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I just stopped using a Crystal Super Platinum blade for about two weeks. It was from Israel. I did not get a comfortable shave with it the first time or the 8th time. I put is aside to throw away. I just put in a new Feather blade and got a comfortable shave the first time. I remember that a lot of the blades get better after the first few shaves. It must be that they start out too sharp?
    Astras are my next favorite blades.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've never taken a blade to 8 shaves. I'll go 2 and out. At 12 cent Per blade I see no reason to try and squeeze that much from them. Just me.

3. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I must have an easy beard to shave as I almost always get more than 8 shaves from my blades.

4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I get 6 great shaves from my go-to blade, easily. But truth be told, I don't really count much anymore, I just change when it starts to feel time.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    How many passes you doing now, Dave? Still one?

6. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

If you're able, try a Gillette Silver Blue.
    They're my personel fav with Astra a not so close 2nd.

7. casper

casper Member

man, 6 shaves, 8 shaves, i use a blade once or twice. every time i use a blade 3 or 4 times its just like intentionally trying to get a terrible irritated shave. now i have really sensitive skin, and even with a new blade i still get some mild redness after shaving. i always try to shave more with the blades but everytime i start to shave with a older blade i just look at myself in the mirror and say, i got over four hundred sitting right there, why not just use a new one. i just like the feeling of a brand new blade compared to a used one.

8. Speed

Speed Member

Exactly,I don`t know if I ever go past three shaves only because the blades are so cheap and plentiful.I remember using a disposable multi blade for months,tearing up my face.NEVER AGAIN!

jeraldgordon likes this.
  9. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

The only blade I've taken to eight shaves is the GEM Stainless SE Blade. Anyways to the OP, why don't you try a Dorco ST-301? They're very smooth but very dull. I have a very tough beard and they only cut in the most aggressive of razors for me. Sounds like they might work for you...