Daily shaving or Every other Day for skin health? Explained inside.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by GeneralKinetics, Sep 5, 2014.

1. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I honestly had no idea how to correctly title what I want to inquire about.

When I moved from Cartridge shaving to DE shaving, my irritation was mitigated by a ton, probably 75-90%. Starting off DE Shaving with a face that was completely mangled by cartridge shaving, my face is still recovering from a minefield of razor bumps. I started DE shaving in June of this year. My goal is to have a clear face and keep a clear face by the end of this school year when I graduate from college with my B.S. in Finance.

I grow enough hair with Middleeastern genes that I can shave on a daily basis with a fairly aggressive razor, the RR Jaws in the shower. For a post-college 8-5 lifestyle, that would totally work, I've already practiced getting up early enough and doing that.

In terms of irritation and getting razor bumps to heal, is it better to shave daily or every other day and shave off more hair at once than less hair? Is it the fact that you're shaving off less hair closer to your skin the thing that kills you? I also understand that you're all going to say that with awesome technique, I should be having no problems. I am still improving my technique, but have recently gotten WAY better at ATG and XTG(The pass that kills me on my neck. It's like going flat horizontal on a surface that's round, effing horrible.)

After I shave, I use Dickinson's Witch Hazel and Kiss My Face Pomegranate Acai Moisturizer or Bath and Body Works Face Lotion. I also have started using PFB Vanish, per my girlfriend's Esthetician's recommendation, and it helps.

Should I be expecting so much in only the first 3 months?

Sorry for the long-winded read. For blades, I'm using Dorco 301s/Astra SPs. Soap/cream: Proraso White/Stirling Soap/Nivea cream. After shave: Clubman Pinaud Original, WH, and PFB Vanish(shit burns).

2. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

In terms of irritation, if you are only irritating your face every other day, then you will have less irritation over all. I think it is the multiple passes on the face that contributes to the irritation, not how closely you shave the whiskers.

I question why you are shaving in the shower. There's nothing wrong with it, but I can't do it because I can never keep the soap on my face with the water running. Are you using a good soap/cream? Also, please give some more info about your prep - are you using a pre-shave oil? Are you washing your face first, etc.

A LOT of people can not go ATG or XTG on the neck. It may be the hardest area to do. There is no rule that says you must do it - It is your shave.

Finally, Have you only used that one razor and blade combination, or does this happen with other blades or other razors?

Boojum1, PatrickA51 and Bristle Me like this.
  3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

When I used to shave with DEs I never liked Astras and Dorcos. They are smooth blades and seem well made but I thought them dull and tuggy (especially the Dorcos). I know Arabs typically have very thick beards so that could be your problem. I like Personna Labs (made in USA) they are the sharpest DE blade I've used that is also smooth. I've sensitive skin so I had the best luck using a very mild DE and a very sharp blade. For razor bumps, I get them only on my neck and it only happens when I got ATG there. Thus for neck I shave WTG only.

Boojum1 and PatrickA51 like this.
  4. GeneralKinetics

To Mark:
    1) Okay.
    2) Because, I can minimize getting-ready time in the morning, it's more relaxing, and it is the only part of my bathroom with a ceiling fan. It's a weirdly arranged apartment. Yeah, I use either Proraso white or Nivea/Stirling bowl lathered. I mix up the bowl before I even start. I have no problem keeping shave cream/soap on my face, I use a hand mirror and that blocks any water from washing cream off. I don't use a pre-shave oil. I wash my face first with Clean n' Clear, Noxzema, or St. Ives apricot scrub. I face scrub, shampoo, then conditioner, shave while hair has conditioner in it, then body wash and get out.
    3) If I don't do the whole 3 pass shebang, I look at myself and it looks horrible and I honestly can't live with it. I have to do the whole shebang each time.

So far my favorite razor is the Jaws. I've gotten more irritation using a mild razor like a double or triple shimmed EJ89 or a Gillette Super Speed or a 70 Black Beauty.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  5. GeneralKinetics

I love Astras and Dorco. I actually have the opposite experience that you do. I got decimated by a Personna Lab with 4 days growth and the Jaws. I literally hurt for 2 days straight. Yet, I can daily shave with a Dorco 301 or a GSB(little better result with a GSB) and am totally fine.

6. markjnewcomb

O.K. It sounds like you are doing a good face prep, using good soap, etc. My only suggestion at this point is to change from the standard WTG/XTG/ATG pattern you are using to to something milder to see if it helps. For example, you might consider going WTG/WTG/ATG (at least on the neck) and see how that feels and looks instead of doing " XTG(The pass that kills me on my neck. It's like going flat horizontal on a surface that's round, effing horrible.)" . You really shouldn't have an "horrible" pass. If it feels rough while you are doing it, it will almost certainly cause the symptoms you describe.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. GeneralKinetics

Well, it doesn't feel rough, it's just like the way that I describe it is. If your face is basically a V. Then the XTG area on my neck is like a square, with that V slightly going into the square. It's so weird. It's the left side of my neck that gets irritated, the other side is always totally fine.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  8. markjnewcomb

You are right handed. My left side is never as smooth as my right.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  9. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

First, I would like to say :signs046: GK!

A few observations, then a few guesses/suggestions that may help.
    Please keep in mind that I am an investigator of sorts, and I tend to get a bit long-winded and detailed.

All the creams/lotions/potions in the world won't help to get rid of persistent razor bumps.
    There is something very simple you can try.
    Using a VERY soft toothbrush, gently scrub those bumps.
    Just 5-10 strokes left-right, then 5-10 up-down. (I'm always tempted to do more...)
    This lightly abrades the skin surface and opens a path for that whisker to come out.

If you are having problems with irritation and bumps, then I would go to an every other day schedule if you can.
    At least until you get the bump thing conquered.

Technique isn't the only thing, there is also the matter of your face becoming accustomed to your new way of shaving.

It's very likely that you are pressing excessively on the razor. It takes some serious focus to recognize that this is happening,
    and even more focus to stop it. Shaving XTG and ATG requires holding the razor "underhanded" and pressing it up against the neck.
    Almost everybody presses excessively when doing this.

Like Mark, I'm not a big fan of shaving in the shower. Why?

Most folks are not willing to stand in a shower and shave at a pace that allows good shaving technique.
    Shaving in the shower promotes haste.

:eek:
    Washing your face gently before shaving is always a good idea.
    I've always liked using a washcloth on my face, because I felt it did a better job of cleaning.
    But I usually over did it and irritated the skin before my shave.
    I still use the washcloth, but now I wash gently with a face soap, or my shave soap.
    Be kind to your face, don't scrub! :ashamed001:

Try this for a week:

1. Try to pick a time when you aren't hurried. Many guys shave in the evening.
    2. Wash your face and shave at the sink.
    3. Simplify your shave. Pick one soap, 1 razor, 1 blade, and 1 aftershave.

See if the irritation lessens, and the bumps get better.
    Change only 1 thing at a time. This will help you find what works, and what doesn't.

See?
    You weren't long winded.

Now me, I'm long winded. :p

Best wishes to you GK and

Happy Shaving!! :bounce017:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    SABOTEURw, macaronus, Boojum1 and 4 others like this.
  10. GeneralKinetics

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that toothbrush idea. I always have my girlfriend check me out for ingrown hairs. That has gone way way way way way way way way down to maybe 1 or 2 on my face. It used to be absolutely horrible when I was Fusion shaving. If I used aftershave balm, and Proraso and a brush, it would burn like hell. I always jean-stropped my carts too. DE shaving is a huge improvement over that.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  11. GeneralKinetics

It's the right side of my face in the mirror. I'm actually lefthanded/slightly ambidextrous. I write with my left, and shave with my left, but do alot with my right.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  12. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Have you tried cold water shaving (would be tough in the shower :) ). It is one of the biggest things I have done to get rid of my neck irritation. My beard is quite coarse. Read up on it. There is a good article in it at the Art of Manliness site. There are many theories as to why it could work. All I know is that it did. I also second the advice to shave every other day for a while and consider substituting your second pass with another WTG. Best of luck!!!

lindyhopper66, PatrickA51 and Jayaruh like this.
  13. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Interesting read.
    YMMV

14. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Yes have you tried cold water shaving.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Shave at the sink, don't scrub your face (use a gentle cleanser), and use cold water. Lots of good advice here.:signs011:

PatrickA51 likes this.
  16. SABOTEURw

SABOTEURw Active Member

I recently read the description on a can of Aveena Therapeutic Shave Gel. It uses the term "moisturizing lubricant" which "rehydrates the face". I find this interesting because if you leave this, or any shaving cream or gel on too long it dries up. And most of the foam these products create doesn't touch the face at all. It's not hydrating or lubricating anything. Makes sense now why my face was always dry and/or peeling.

What DOES makes sense is the repeated recommendation I've seen regarding other products to apply hot water to the face prior to shaving. Doing so opens the pores. Applying oil afterwards allows those open pores to be filled, creating a barrier that's highly effective in helping prevent cuts and other problems that occur when dragging sharp razors across flesh.

I shave EVERY day since stumbling upon this simple solution to shaving irritations. Having experimented with a variety of shaving oil and moisturizing oil, I can't help but conclude that oil is much healthier and a more effective facial lubricant/moisturizer than shaving cream or gel.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  17. GeneralKinetics

I've tried cold water shaving in the sink. It's pretty good. I had a super good shave in the shower this morning with 2 days of growth(didn't shave yesterday, but the day before). I used
    -RR Jaws
    -Polsilver(not quite as good as GSB for me. Getting a second opinion on it).
    -Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood. I got a lot of water dumped on the bowl from it sitting on the corner of the tub while I got everything arranged, so I spiked it with a shot of Nivea to thicken it up.
    -Stirling Boar Brush(breaking in a new one, gifted my old one to my girlfriend's Dad to start him DE shaving. I really like it. It doesn't smell at all, and just takes a couple soaks to get the hairs to start fanning out)
    -Bowl lather. I put the bowl above the shower wall, so totally out of the way of the water.
    -Philosophy facial cleanser(trying to finish my girlfriend's super tiny travel bottle).
    I got a pretty damn good BBS with little to no issues or irritation.

18. JediSpam

JediSpam New Member

I'm hoping that cold shaving will help my razor irritation on neck

19. Technium

Technium Active Member

As much as I like the warm lather and razor I may have to check out the cold shaving as well. Great thread. Hope to hear how things progress.

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Cold water won't solve all the ailments that inadequate prep or poor technique can create. It will help soothe and even minimize some irritation areas.
    Often a major source for irritation is from too much pressure and/or going against the grain. Some of us are also blessed with super-sensitive skin that requires additional prep and a deft touch.
    Going ATG (against the grain) for me was the biggest source for skin discomfort. I opted to NOT do that pass with DE razors. With straight razors, however, I haven't had the irritation issues, even going ATG.