Dang you, Feather!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I should have known better :angry032:. I gave up on Feathers a while ago. But I thought, "Hey - maybe my technique has improved... Let's give it another try". Nope - this was my result. Keep in mind, Astra, Derby, Gillette Silver Blue - seldom any cuts at all :happy088:. Same technique, same prep, same razors . I would categorize myself as a somewhat aggressive shaver, which is why the Derby seems to be my favorite blade. Glad I wasn't in a hurry to go anywhere:

[​IMG]

I won't be using those last 4 Feathers in my stock :angry019:

2. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

It's never a good idea to do your own cosmetic surgeries…

3. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

And baiting vampires in the morning

4. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Good stuff !!

twhite likes this.
  5. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Sorry to see that you had such an experience, especially with one of my favorite blades. On the plus side looks like all stubble was removed. Sadly some skin was as well. Im curious about your statement that your an aggressive shaver. Is that referering to angle? Gear? Or just always trying to get smooth as a baby? I also like derbys paired with an aggressive razor

battle.munky and twhite like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ouch!
    I am curious, as well.

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  7. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I probably apply more pressure than I should. However, it has never been a problem with the three blades mentioned above.

I am not saying that I use as much pressure as I used to with my cartridges. I try to have a light touch, but I know it is not as light as simply allowing the weight of the razor to cut the hairs.

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  8. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Joke a side my first shave was with the feathers and my face sort of looked like that, but was my 3rd de shave. 3 weeks later practicing shaving daily I tested faith and I did a shave with the feather and the merkur future replica on the highest setting #6. I got cut only on 2 places but there were some facial burn after that. I honestly would never buy feathers,I prefer the Derby,shark,personna,rapira, voskhod (these are almost as sharp as feathers but very easy on the skin and wallet too lol) I just don't like how the feathers feel on my face while shaving. Medium aggressive razor + feather= BBS with no Nick's or skin burn, but the feedback I get from them and overall feeling while I shave is a no buy for me in the future.

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm sorry that happened to you, you could have gotten a bad blade? I hope you heal up fast!
    Kerry

wristwatchb likes this.
  10. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

That's me every single time I use a feather. I feel your pain! :(

11. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Another thing that bothers me about the feathers is there is no feedback from them, Other blades just as sharp as the Feathers will let you know if you have cut your self or you were about to cut your self, while Feathers you keep on shaving not feeling anything, finish the pass, rinse the face, apply lather for the next pass and then you go WTF!!! all the spots where you cut your self they start showing up, I don't like when blades get dull and start tugging but its what I call feedback, Feathers have almost no feedback at all, they slice you and you have no clue until you apply the next lather. Voskhod are just as sharp but lots of feedback coming from them and enjoy them.

mrchick likes this.
  12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

This is a fine example of YMMV. Feathers are in my top three blades. It blows me away how much we vary in skin types, shaving styles, etc. One guy's favorite is another's worst.

13. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Wow looking at that reminded me where I was a couple of months ago with any blade..
    Sorry to hear . But at least you know for sure that the blade is not for you.

Carbide Mike and mrchick like this.
  14. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I'm a Derby fan too !!! Sharp enough to give me 2 shaves and very gentle !!!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

Most of those look like an alum block would seal them right up. Maybe you should try those new Gillette blades that Darkbulb has been talking about. They sharp, smooth, and, as I am learning, seem to last quite a while:)

MarshalArtist likes this.
  16. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I only use Feather blades in all of my razors, and the key is "NO Pressure " . Let the razor do the work:shocked003:

17. shoe13950

shoe13950 Well-Known Member

I have four feathers remsing on my shelf as well:) You're a better man than me finishing the job without switching out. Platinum coated blades seem to reduce irritation and provide a smooth shave for me.

18. shoe13950

shoe13950 Well-Known Member

Sorry, four feathers remaining...

19. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Man, how many of those were necessary for you to realize they weren't working for you!? :rolleyes005:

youngunn likes this.
  20. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

They didn't start weeping until after my final rinse - which means it was probably my last touch up pass where I was pulling my skin tight that did the damage. There wasn't much pain at all, just surface weepers.

twhite, mrchick and Robyflexx like this.