Dang you, Feather!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Mar 5, 2016.

1. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Dang man that looks painful ... i guess i will consider myself lucky because even when i was new to wet shaving i never experienced those type of results
    What razor was you using? How many passes was that? I use feather blades in a couple of my razors and they always perform fantastic
    You might want to work on your technique and concentrate on using zero pressure and let weight of razor just glide across your skin and ..... DON'T try for a BabyButtSmooth shave till you get technique down better
    Good Luck to you

mrchick likes this.
  2. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Ride the cap

3. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I was using an early 70's Super Speed. That must have been my clean up third pass. I pull the skin take off those last stubborn whiskers. Works great with my other blades, but the Feather is laser sharp. I doubt I will use one again since I get great results from my Derby, Astra, and GSB.

4. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

You might try working your way up to it. Going from, say, Derby or Dorco to Feather would be ill-advised. If you could get a week's shave that was cut-free from a Crystal, it might be time to give Feather another chance.

Spyder likes this.
  5. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Damn! What razor did you use?

6. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

I used a feather in a blue tip. Was a great shave. Sorry about your bad experience

dscaver likes this.
  7. CandyVanMan

CandyVanMan Member

I can use a Feather in my Hone or Mühle and get a smooth and irritation free shave, but I look like that no matter what razor I try Gillette Silver Blue in.
    YMMV I guess.

Spyder likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just 2 posts before yours...

9. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I use Feathers in my Krona, but that is a mild razor. I prefer Polsilvers and Astra's. I never stretch my skin, and use no pressure!

LuvWetShavin likes this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't write the feathers off right yet. Hone your technique and come back to them later. Perhaps you used to much pressure? Typically I've found the sharper blades give me better shaves.

wristwatchb likes this.
  11. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Just curious ... he said he stretched his skin on face, i never have done or do this. I just concentrate on a good cusiony slick lather and NO pressure and let razor do its job.
    What is the reason to pull on your facial skin while shaving? could this cause the irritation he experienced?

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I think the skin stretching was used more for straight razor shaving. Sagging loose skin gets cut with a straight. I don't stretch my skin, when using a safety razor.

13. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Same I have only heard of that for straight razor. I don't do it with de and I've never cut myself. Like he other guys said, no pressure. Let the razor do the work

14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Stretching the skin gives me a flatter surface, which in turn allows me a closer shave.

wristwatchb and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. ssultan

ssultan Well-Known Member

I gently place a hand on my skin to prevent it pulling when going atg. Other than that I don't stretch the skin anymore.

16. ssultan

ssultan Well-Known Member

Feathers are great blades. I gave up on them a few years ago and now they are all I use. The key I find is absolutely no pressure; slow, short strokes and swap them out after 2 shaves. There's the occasional weeper around the Adam's apple ....otherwise buttery smooth!

wristwatchb and mrchick like this.
  17. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I don't stretch it as much as people do for a straight razor. But under my nose, and right under my jaw; if I pull it just a tad, I can get those last stubborn stubbles. This would be my across the grain strokes, as I rarely go against the grain.

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here, with my DEs, SEs and Str8s.

wristwatchb and Spyder like this.
  19. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

By the way... It was great having a Derby back in that Super Speed this morning. Nice, comfortable, and smooth again.

Betriebsarzt13, BigMike and Spyder like this.
  20. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

9 months later...

Gave the Feather another go last night - in the Feather Popular. Happy to report I only had 3 small weepers that closed up with simply a few cold water splashes. Nothing on my neck at all. Will keep the Feather in for a while and see if things smooth up after a while.

Have a great Monday, fellow shavers. Or at least, survive it...