DE Razors in Brick and Mortar Stores

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Muffinhead, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Muffinhead

Muffinhead Well-Known Member

Is it possible in today's digital age to find any decent DE razors for sale in a B&M store? I was in CVS pharmacy the other day, which had a large selection of men's shaving stuff, but they had no DE razors. They had a few DE blades, but no razors.

Is there any place left that I can walk into and buy a DE razor?

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

They are not a common-enough (i.e. high-demand) retail item for most chain stores to carry in their inventory. Specialty store such as AoS or barber-supply stores will carry some DE razors, but most of the common chain retailers aren't on-board with the whole wet-shaving thing….yet. So if you're after NEW DE models, online is still your best best. Vintage? thats a different story (antique stores, Craigslist, garage sales, etc.).

3. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I was planning on going to Atlanta last weekend and I saw that one shaving supplier was located in the nearby town of Alpharetta when researching this very topic. I sent an email and the proprietor said he is strictly mail-order, but, if I would like to stop by, he would be there all day on Saturday. I jumped at the chance and made a new friend in the process. Gary Gwynn of the ShoeBox ShaveShop. He has an incredible inventory. I was in hog heaven. Perusing his basement was like being in a candy store. A really cool guy, Gary.

So, the moral of this story... contact a mail-order company in the area you live or are visiting and see if they'll accommodate a visit!

HolyRollah likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Great idea!

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Barber shops sometimes will sell safety razors and such, but for the most part you'll need to go online to find things. Be prepared for research just like you found ShoeBoxShaveShop, a fairly well known and liked internet supplier. As Kevin said above antique shops, garage sales, flea markets and of course ebay etc. will be your best bet for finding vintage and/or used equipment. :)

Radiotube likes this.
  6. Muffinhead

Muffinhead Well-Known Member

Barber shop? What is a barber shop? I haven't seen one of those in years.

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Believe it or not we still have some in South Louisiana. Although my wife cuts my hair..:happy097:

8. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I found an old fashioned barber shop in Aiken, SC and that's where I go. A haircut is $14, but I always give Mark, my favorite barber, a $20. He remembers my name that way and never forgets I like the hot lather and straight razor finish around the neckline and behind the ears. (My favorite part)

By the way, for those who want to know who the best barber is in any given barber shop...

Always look for the one with the worst haircut. He's the one that gives all the other barbers their haircuts.
    </rimshot/>

178-bplatoon likes this.
  9. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

We have several around me as well, the one I go to still use straight razors for the neck and/or shaves. The owners are young guys in their 30's. The only disappointing thing was they stopped selling and using clubman products and are using something modern. Must have just changed this month because last month they still were using clubman. I of course voiced my opinion and they commented that it appears to be the common theme with customers they want clubman back. We shall see.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  10. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

I don't know if you have any in your area, but I know here is KC, Sally Beauty Supply carries at least 1. It's just a chinese SS knockoff from what I can tell (just looking at it) but it's something.

AoS is putting in more and more stores and they tend to carry a larger selection of brushes, razors, soaps etc but the prices come at a premium compared to say, Amazon.

You can also typically find the Micro Touch One at Walmart in their "as seen on TV" section.

11. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I need a barbershop here! :(

12. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

When you are going bald you don't need a Barber Shop. As me how I know. ;), and in response to the OP, not really. Not unless you want to go to Pasteurs in NY or take a trip out to CA.

13. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

You bet there is. Walmart, Target, Walgreens, lots of places like that. A lot of big box stores are selling the Microtouch One TTO, but don't look for them in the toiletries or shaving sections, they're going to be in the As Seen on TV section.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I got started on a VDH Weishi from Target. They sell kits too.

15. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I saw the VDH Weishi at Target. They're all the same. The Shaving Factory from Sally Beauty is the same as the VDH is the same as Micro Touch One is the same as Weishi/Rimei.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Weishis of the world unite! Indeed they all appear to be Weishi 9306. It's actually not a bad razor, very mild. I got decent shaves with it.

17. I can understand your thinking that all these razors are the same, however, the Sally Beauty DE razor is made by Shaving Factory, and is not the same razor as a Weishi. The doors on the Shaving Factory (Sally Beauty) razor has scalloped edges, and the handle is smooth, and not knurled, and is manufactured by a different company. The Shaving Factory razor shaves a tad bid more aggressive than the Weishi, and its TTO knob is made of plastic. The VDH and Micro Touch DE razors are the same as Weishi's 9306 model. Weishi makes several different 'qualities' of DE razors... some are made of aluminum, while other are made of pot metal, and still others are made of a copper alloy. The Micro Touch and VDH razors are the higher quality Weishi's. The VDH, Micro Touch, and Weishi 9306 razors are of a better quality than the Shaving Factory (Sally Beauty) DE razor.

The reason I know these differences, is because I retail VDH, Shaving Factory, Parker, and our own brand of safety razors at our shop. So, I'm one of those 'smaller' brick and mortar retailers of fine shaving supplies. Business is good, and continues to get more and more popular. It's great that our customers/clients walk in and touch and try out our shaving goods. They get expert advise, right there on the spot about every product we stock, and we can really get into the 'nuts and bolts' of wet shaving. I think it's a great thing that more and more men are starting to shave better, and with proper razors, blades, and shaving creams and soaps. I always talk-up the shaving forums (especially TSD), because I want to help ensure that our customers are well-informed.

18. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Really? I get my hair cut at one every month, and have been to 3 different ones this year in my town. That sucks you don't have em anymore there. They're a lot better than walking into a Fantastic Sams or Great Clips and hoping you look alright when you walk out

The guy I go to now only charges 12 dollars for a cut. Cannot beat that

19. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

There's a few barbershops around me. You have two kinds, the ones that are just basically salons where you get your hair cut by men not women or effeminate men; or the shady fades ones with young tatted up barbers that may have an extensive criminal background. I haven't seen the inside of one in years (I cut my own hair and have saved about $1500 since) but when I did go to them they didn't sell any cool old timey shave stuff. The closest they got was that they used Pinaud and shavettes.

youngunn likes this.
  20. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

There is one store in Houston called the British isles I shop at. I was unimpressed with CVS blades. I am not going to the store in the mall and paying s buck a blade for DE.