DEC 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Nov 30, 2015.

?

Do you use pre-shave oil?

Poll closed Dec 30, 2015.
  1. Yes.

29.9%
  2. I have tried, but don't use it regularly.

25.4%
  3. No.

40.3%
  4. What is pre-shave oil?

1.5%
  5. I am just here for the cookies.

3.0%
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I still am planning one more shave this month, but I cam say I have definitely learned a lot over the last 30 days or so. I started with the Pain Stick and have spent the last couple of weeks on straights.

I got 19 shaves in with the Pain Stick and towards the end, I really started getting some nice shaves. The shaves got comfortable, and they were nice and close. I only had one significant slip with the razor, and I learned a valuable lesson in the process: there are times when to just out down the Pain Stick and pick up a safety razor.

The last two weeks with the straight razors have been very good. They do handle a bit different than a pain stick, some of which is mental. Once I got past that, I found the shaves to be more comfortable than the Pain Stick. The last two shaves with the straight have been particularly good. I still have a long ways to go with straights, but I am pleased with the progress.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Spectacular photograph!!

3. RaZorBurn123

SOTD
    December 31, 2015
    Prep: Hot Shower. Axe Energizing Face Wash Boost
    Razor: Grafco-Merkur 3-Piece Open Comb
    Blade: Personna Lab Blue
    Lather: RazoRock Son of Zeus
    Brush: RazoRock Plissoft
    Aftershave: RazoRock Son of Zeus
    SOZ is a citrus, woodsy, cedar scent. Simply AWESOME. I've been through a bunch of OC razors and this Grafco-Merkur is hands down the best! Plissoft is a fabulous brush, a great buy. I really like this SOZ gear.
    Never let the things you WANT
    Make you forget the things you HAVE!
    image.jpeg

4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette Aristocrat 1947 Birth Razor
    Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (1)
    Brush: Omega Professional 10098 Boar
    Soap: Route 66 Frozen Margarita
    A/S: Captain's Choice Bay Rum

A big thanks to @Bobcat for sending me the Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum blades. This was my first shave with this blade and it was great. My big find of the year had to be the Route 66 products. Every soap I tried work up a great slick lather easily.
    Happy New Year and be safe.

31 12 15b.JPG

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Kerry. A good photo app does wonders for sure. "Blind Squirrel" and all. ;)

6. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

7. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Thanks Douglas!!!

8. RaZorBurn123

Oh yes. Where would we be without our apps:signs002:
    :scared011::scared011::scared011::scared011::scared011::scared011::scared011::scared011:

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Just FYI, Coke Zero through the sinuses is overrated.

10. Bama Samurai

DEcember 2015 Wrap!​

• I regret not using the Feather Popular earlier, it has been near TTO perfection. It's another SS clone basically, $15 and strongly recommended as a starter or budget option. I could use it daily, it's that good.
    • I don't really enjoy the Tech. My technique has evolved around more aggressive razors, and I try to push it too much to catch the baby.
    • Fatboys are still the finest TTO I've tried.
    • The more blades I try, the less I think they matter. The range of blades I can successfully use is so much greater than in 2104.
    • The biggest surprise this month was Route 66 Lumberjack shave soap. @Douglas Carey has a keen eye for the good stuff. This, IMHO, is lanolin soap perfection, so protective I will use it as my primary soap for SR learning. The soaps are crafted by @Salty Belle (TSD supporting vendor), through www.route66shave.com.
    • After a year of rules/foci, safety razors have become automatic. After spending a year doing these exercises, I feel like DFS from any kit not designed by @NCoxSTL is possible!
    • Another great month! 2015 really seemed to fly past! Thanks everyone for being a part of this, and looking forward to regrouping for January and the New Year!

11. Bama Samurai

Stuck on the freeway somewhere near Monterey?

12. Bama Samurai

I am definitely going to use the DE safety net as well. Good luck to you!

13. Norcalnewb

image.jpeg

New Year's Eve SOTD:

Homemade PS Oil
    Simpsons Commodore X3 Best Badger
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Deja Fougere
    Schick Repeating Razor Type A
    Stirling Unscented PSB -- Mentholated
    Wholly Kaw Fougere Bouquet AS

I got busy this morning and lost track of time. My wife and I had arranged a baby sitter for a lunch date, and I didn't take a shower and shave until just before we had to leave, so I had to rush a bit. Given that, I thought I would go with the Type A. I was shocked I could say that I savored the shave, as it seems to be a great razor, but time time demanded I be quick. I got a complete two pass shave in under 10 minutes, and I got DFS results. This is a nice, smooth shaver. I really enjoy all the repeating razors, they shave so nicely. I finished off the Fine shave with some Wholly Kaw Fougere Bouquet, which is one of my favorites, and also just happens to be one my wife enjoys. It set the state for a really nice lunch date with my wife.

Hope everyone one had a happy and safe New Year. I am looking forward to a great January with the 30DC.

14. Norcalnewb

It was a valuable lesson. One thing I figured out about straights: they require a little more fore thought. I have found that stropping the night before really seems to help me save a bit of time during my morning shave.

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Ahh, but if you can get DFS on a kit I design......you can join the Hall of Shaving Gurus!

16. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

12/31/15

Gillette New LC
    Rapira Super Stainless (2)
    Vulfix Super Badger (660)
    Mama Bear's Soaps Black Code type
    Georgetown G12 Scuttle
    Pinaud Clubman Original

Loaded soap for 30 seconds in the tub, then whipped up the lather in my scuttle.
    IMG_2065.JPG

2 full passes: Pass 1 XTG. Good reduction, but picked up one small nick near my mouth. Pass 2: ATG with a small amount of touch up with the lather remaining on my face, this time I wound up with a small nick on my neck. Had to use the styptic pencil to stem the blood on this one. Did a cool water rinse followed by light touch up in my usual spots. Stopped because it seemed as though my neck was starting to get irritated. Still had a plenty of lather when I finished. Enough for at least two more passes. The Clubman burned like fire.

A surprise BBS from the Rapira Super Stainless in my New LC with the Mama Bear's Black Code type. I took my time and the lather was very slick when it went on, but for some reason I ended up with two nicks today. That hasn't happened in a long while. I'll post my focus summary later.

I hope everyone has a great New Year's Eve.

17. Bama Samurai

Happy New Year to you!

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Bill, Happy New Year :bounce017:

19. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I got a DFS plus on a Soviet Straight. Does that count?

20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

My focus for the month was to work on my technique. I added an XTG pass before my ATG pass. This allowed me to do a scything stroke on my jaw. (Think Gillette Slide, but with a straight.) Ear to my apple is still a challenge with a straight. I will keep working on that.

This also wraps up my 12th consecutive focus. The 30 Day Crew is my favorite part of this forum. You guys are fun to hang out with, inspiring in your generosity, and a little crazy at times. Keep it up!