December 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 30, 2016.

?

What is your most decadent item/product in your collection?

1. A vintage straight razor

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. A modern straight razor

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. A magnificent and hyper-expensive soap

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. A magnificent and cheap soap but man does it lather

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. A vintage DE razor

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  6. A modern DE - Stainless baby

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  7. An incredibly soft and luxurious brush

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  8. An incredibly stiff and scritchy brush

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. It's all decadent when I use it

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  10. Seriously, this poll just gets longer all the time. Pass the cookies and let's go.

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to Decadent December!

The Cartel is proud to welcome you to the December 2016 edition of the 30 Day Rule and Focus Discussion.

If you're new to traditional shaving, or to TSD, WELCOME!!! If you’ve been here awhile you know the drill so jump in and help the new guys get their shave on!

So, what is this thread about? Three things, basically. First and foremost this is a TECHNIQUE focused group. All the fancy and shiny shave toys in the world won’t give you a great shave if you don’t know how to use them. That applies to any type of razor from DE safety razor to injector to traditional straights, kamisori, pain sticks, popsicle stick razors, sharp can lids and all the rest. Second, it’s a COMMUNITY focused group. Everyone here is supportive of the new people learning, the old timers learning new stuff or just working with a new razor or trying to adjust to fix an issue. We support each other and learn together. Third, it’s about SHENANIGANS. Yep, we sometimes drift off topic around here just because we can and it’s fun. As @Bama_Samurai stated in the inaugural edition back in January 2015, this is an un-hijackable thread. Go ahead. Try and hijack it. I dare you. Can’t be done. Just like this post. I can wander all I want on this thought and it still goes right back where it belongs in the next paragraph. Call it magic if you want.

As one of the charter members of this thread, from January 2015, I can attest to the ability of the 30 Day Rule to build basic technique. I can also attest to the ability of the 30 Day Focus to adjust one or more areas of the shave, or to open doors to new methods and tools. This month we celebrate DECADENT DECEMBER! What, you ask, is that? As the final month of the year, and what a year it’s been in many ways, I think we should just plain ENJOY our shaves this month. Even if you’re on a strict Rule you can substitute some after shaves and other products around to really get that luxury thing going. If you’re on a Focus or just shaving along to eat cookies and follow shenanigans, this is your chance to pull out your best most luxurious stuff and spend a month with it. We want to see pictures and hear of you using that antique Double Duck, or the Toggle (then you must immediately send it to me for testing), and that High Mountain Badger brush with the MdC…..get the picture? If your absolute favorite brush is the Omega Pro48 and your best ever lather is Proraso….that’s your DECADENCE! Use it! Share it! Let’s remind ourselves that one of the reasons we do this is to ENJOY IT!!!!! By the time New Year’s Eve rolls around we’ll be ready to tackle the next year no matter what it brings! Got it? And, of course, if you want to do something else while following along…..it’s perfectly fine!

Well, that’s my introduction for the month. So, let’s get down to the usual business. Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. The cookie of the month is, of course, Holiday Sugar Cookies! If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's rock another month out!

Rules are the same people.

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.

2. Old Members always welcome. (Don’t like being considered “old”? Too bad, I know your birthdate.)
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. Criticize Russian blades, especially Voskhod, at your own peril. The Cartel is listening. And we have spies everywhere. They’re usually passed out drunk, but we get lucky occasionally.

7. Don't think we don't hear when you badmouth Rapira either. We're vodka loving wannabe Russians, not blithering idiots. Well, ok so sometimes.....and Ivan.....well you get the idea.

8. You might consider taking it easy on Feathers as well. The Yakuza boys are pretty protective as well, though their leader has been converted by the Russians it seems. Score one for the Motherland!

Let's have some great shaves people! Welcome to DECADENT DECEMBER! Group hug and it's ON!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

Thalasos, mrchick, Marverel and 8 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Booyah! Fliberdegibbet!

3. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Man, and I have my first Injector coming Friday...can I start then?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Absolutely! No problem at all.

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Easy there. Don't burn out before it even starts. Gotta pace yourself y'know.

RyX, Drygulch, Douglas Carey and 3 others like this.
  6. SharptoothC

Sweet! I am about 4 months into wet shaving. I am pretty comfy with my DE razors. I have been working with a Weck Sextoblade for the last couple of weeks. I am told this Injector will change my life. So a month getting used to it can't hurt, right?

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Sounds like an excellent plan! Not only can't it hurt, it can turn you into an expert with it. Should be a good month....and I'd call that decadent too.

8. SharptoothC

I am banking on that!

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

This is a whole month of exceptions to the Focus I have problems focusing on. I've several new items in hand, more on the way. That hardly (always) happens!

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well since you rarely, yet always, have stuff you want to try and you are unfocused in your focus, then yes, this month of exceptional exceptions to the unfocused focus should provide ample opportunity to use all of those things you don't but do have on hand or on the way. Perfect! I get the early enthusiasm now! :happy088:

RyX, Drygulch, Douglas Carey and 3 others like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Absolutely! 2 DEC-31 DEC is thirty days! There isn't anyone enforcing "rules", everything is offered more as starting point or suggested courses of action.

Welcome to the little thing we call the 30 Day Crew!

The old injectors will punish bad angle and pressure like no other razor, they feature heavy and rigid blades, and reward good technique with BBS that pretty closely approximates the feel of an expert straight razor shave. The Schick G is one of my fave designs, and I also have a J. If you can master injectors, it's all gravy after that as far as Shave quality goes. Have fun with it, ask all the questions you can think of, and briefly journal each shave here. Writing about each day forces you to evaluate yourself honestly, and also will provide material for others to learn from later. Thanks for joining in, and best of luck!

12. Bama Samurai

I am going to take Neal's advice to heart. The Focus will be to remain unfocused. Or something.

Plan is to play with soap, use the Aust SR and some Shavettes, different blades at whim...you know, random. Fun.

Also, rumor is we have an injector newbie. I love that!

13. SharptoothC

I will be sure to share and seek tips. I'm pretty excited to try it. Mine is a G as well. I'm hoping to keep a close shave AND most of my skin.

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The only thing more fun than an injector newbie........a pain stick newbie. Those are hard to find though.

15. Bama Samurai

You'll be fine. The G is a fabulous shave. The key is to keep the blade at straight razor attack angles, like 15-25deg. You also must practice skin stretching with the rigid injector blade, and will likely get cut a little if you omit the stretches. Another essential is very light pressure like a straight. Simply imagine that you're trying to, just barely in fact, cleanly wipe away the lather with the leading edge of the blade. Don't focus on the razor, rather focus on the sensation on your face, and the sound of hair being cut. It's it's truly the gateway drug to Dark Side cookies. You'll see!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Arun, Marverel, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Call Moscow Central recruiting, this can't be allowed to go on too much longer.

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Might have to offer double cookies to go to the dark side.

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've got two Weck shavettes I'm going to be exploring. Not kamasori style, but close. Oh, never mind, not a virgin. I started my Wet Shave Journey with a DE shavette - I've shed blood to the steel.

19. Bama Samurai

What's the worst that could happen?

Scars.

But, @Keithmax preaches gospel, chicks dig scars.

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Just have to stop the bleeding before the date. Works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.