Defining the attributes of lather

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Fly2High, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

in reading threads and posts on soaps and creams there seem to be a separate vocabulary used for describing the attributes and properties of shaving soaps, creams and lather. Is there a place that defines them?

For starters, for me, I have a hard time understanding what is meant by protection, glide and cushion?

Do 2 define the third? Are they independent properties?

If anyone has terms used that are not quite understood, please add them here. I am sure I will add more to this list

Thanks

2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Like anything else you fall into the jargon if you will of your profession or hobby. I found myself doing it. Protection to me means does it keep me from irritation? Glide is how the razor travels on my face while I shave. Smoothly or is there tugging, drag etc. Cushion is not a term I use a lot(if I ever have). Maybe guys with more shaves under their belts can help you there. Was that any good?

LOOT, Keithmax, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It was good for me. Looking for other responses. I don't use those terms, but I have wondered about them.

4. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Cushion seems to be a controversial attribute because a lot of people don't seem to understand what it constitutes. My take is that it refers to the density of the lather. Lathers without a lot of cushion are more airy and don't feel as thick between my palms. Even if I add too much water to a soap that typically has a lot of cushion, I still find that it feels quite thick but that it just doesn't hold its shape as well. This is just my take of course so cushion might refer to something else entirely.

Keithmax likes this.
  5. RetLEO-07

Works for me dog. :D

Demidog likes this.
  6. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

My definitions:

Glide - the slickness of the lather, how well the razor slides across your face
    Cushion - The "mistake absorbing" properties of the lather - How well does it "cushion" your skin against the razor cutting into your skin?
    Protection - See Cushioning

I think that there is a relationship between slickness and cushioning. A very slick lather, even if it is thin, will tend to provide cushioning and a very thick, yet "sticky" lather may also provide cushioning.

7. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Glide/Slickness is the presence of a thin film between the blade edge and skin that prevents friction.
    Cushioning is the presence of a thicker layer that stops the blade edge from digging into the skin - by making the either the blade edge or the razor head "float".
    They could be described as the same thing on a different scale.
    My 2¢ and worth every penny you paid for it :p

8. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

So by your definitions, which sound great, how could someone possibly feel them? Would 't both reduce blade contact and irritation ? I am. It doubting your definitions. They sound on the mark to me but they sound like a scientifically determined attribute that a shaver could not ascertain.

How does one 'feel' them?

americanshamrock likes this.
  9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I have never shaved under my belt, and I'm not starting now, just to come up with a definition for cushion and glide.

Spyder, Keithmax, Demidog and 2 others like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

:eek::happy097:

11. americanshamrock

Here is an experiment for you. Shave part of you face using only some sort of oil (olive, preshave oil, what have you ) This will have slickness but will have no cushion. Then whip up a nice lather and finish shaving. I think you will feel the different aspects of glide and cushion.

Keithmax, Demidog, brit and 1 other person like this.
  12. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

To me, most canned shaving cream has cushion without glide...

13. americanshamrock

I agree. That would be a good additional step to the above experiment.

dustmite likes this.
  14. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I meant to quote your earlier post, but that's what I was going for.

15. brit

brit in a box

kind of like engine oil...

Keithmax likes this.