DFS VS BBS

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by bscarpenter, Aug 29, 2016.

1. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

How close does a shave have to be to be BBS? No stubble AT ALL or no stubble when rubbing your face WTG? How do you determine?

chrisbd and Robyflexx like this.
  2. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I think BBS is generally accepted as no stubble at all, no matter which way you are rubbing your face.

DFS to me means there may be a few small patches that you can feel stubble if testing ATG.

Robyflexx and Herm2502 like this.
  3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have always heard that if you can turn the tip of your finger 360 degrees around on the face and feel no stubble, it is bbs (i.e. no detectable stubble in any direction)

4. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

My understanding is
    BBS no stubble,
    DFS some stubble ATG

So how long does BBS last? For me, about three hours. So it's nice when I get it but I don't chase it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It's a bit subjective, of course, because it's shaving. My test is when I rub both directions, WTG and ATG I don't feel any stubble. One in awhile I'll get generous and let a tiny area of stubble ride and call it BBS but not usually. I'm also not one to chase it down. DFS is perfectly fine with me. CCS can also be good on certain days, but for work I prefer DFS and will stop when I get it most days. Although when doing trials I push the 3rd pass even though I would stop otherwise.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

What does BBS stand for? Baby Butt Smooth, of course.
    Does a baby's butt have ANY stubble in ANY direction on ANY part of his/her butt? Of course not.

Bottom line, at the end of the day, when all is said and done, (did I miss any?) - It's your shave. Define it how you want.

Primotenore, RyX and clint64 like this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

BBS can be a goal, but I find it a short-lived achievement not worthy of my daily attention or efforts. Sort of like washing your car on a rainy day... Looks great, but for a very short duration.
    If i strive for the ultimate BBS, I can get there. But within hours, stubble appears again. So most often I 'settle' for the Darn Fine Shave variety. :)

barbersurgeon, RyX, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I don't to for a BBS very often cuz it's to hard on my face to do that.

No problem getting a fine DFS shave just about every day though and that's good for me

barbersurgeon and RyX like this.
  9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I heard somewhere (here?) that a BBS could pass the "cotton ball test" where, if you rubbed the cotton ball on your skin, there would be nothing to catch.

Herm

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. swarden43

I shoot for BBS every shave. That's why I make three passes.
    But I'm smart enough to know when to stop chasin'!

Herm2502 likes this.
  11. bscarpenter

Ok, I have never had a BBS shave with a safety razor then. I am using a Gillette New Long Comb with an Astra Superior Platinum Blade. Without applying any more pressure than the weight of the razor, should I be able to get a BBS shave with this combo?

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If I do any more than 2 passes on my neck, I break out with razor burn.

I shoot for a close comfortable shave. Hair grows back and I am still presentable for work throughout the day.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. bscarpenter

I'm not looking for a unicorn. I'm just trying to understand where my skills could be with my setup. I am doing a 30 shave challenge with this combo to improve my skills and am trying to understand what expectations I should have. If DFS is it, then I'm fine with it.

barbersurgeon and dangermouse like this.
  14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The easiest way maybe the only way to get a true BBS is to go ATG. If ATG doesnt work for you (like it doesn't work for me because of irritation and ingrown hairs) you can you diagonal ATG in opposing directions to get almost as close, like this (where the middle arrow is the direction of hair growth):

↗↓↖

15. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I gave up chasing a BBS, as my whiskers grow sideways across my throat from the adam's apple to just under my chin. If I try too hard, I get butchered.

45auto likes this.
  16. swarden43

Maybe, maybe not. Just keep working on your technique, stop chasing the baby, then one day - POOF!! - BBS. It'll just happen.

Maybe, maybe not.

barbersurgeon, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  17. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

My face can't handle a daily 3-pass shave. I would always suffer from irritation. I go with one pass and touch-up on most days. Grading the shave is pretty subjective. My one-pass with touch-up normally turns out to be pretty smooth, so it's probably a DFS, but if I'm satisfied with it then I don't feel the need to define it. I will probably never reach true BBS status. I went ATG once when shaving and regretted it terribly.

As @swarden43 has copyrighted - "it's your shave" - so define it how you wish!

swarden43 likes this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Sometimes BBS just isn't worth it, because of irritation.. DFS should do most of the time. Just enjoy the shave, and don't get caught up in perfection with the shave, that's when things can go wrong.

19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    45f6dcbaba9a45f04d89643563dc78e9.jpg
    Depends on the baby...:happy097:

Linuxguile likes this.
  20. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I do a 3pass shave with touch up on my face and 2 pass shave on my neck every 4 days that would routine keeps the irritation low.