Differences between shaving mugs

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Alex7, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Are mugs for creams supposed to have different dimensions then mugs for soaps? I ask because i have one but it's to tall to use with cream(my fingers hit the edges). It's about 8 cm(3.14 inches) in height.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

No. You can use the same mug/bowl for creams/soaps. Now your mug your using may be narrow? Do you have a picture?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

I don't have a pic sorry.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It's okay, if the mug isn't working for you I'd suggest you try a thrift store, dollar store or even your kitchen.

GDCarrington and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If you go out in search of another mug, look for a soup mug. They are wide & shallow, which would probably work well for shaving products.

6. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As stated, no such thing as a cream bowl or a soap bowl, only personal preference bowls.
    Just have to keep 'sperimentin' till you find what you like.
    Personally, I don't care for the pedestal bowl. But that's me.
    As I said, you have to find what you like.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I don't see how guys used the old style mugs (that I use for coffee) unless they did nothing but repeatedly plunge the brush onto the soap. There's not enough room to really rotate a brush in there.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have a collection of bowls and mugs. I do not bowl lather anymore since I discovered the economy and benefits of face lathering. Most of the bowls and mugs are no longer used for lathering but for storage.

[​IMG]
    My VDH apothecary mug holds VDH Luxury soap, and I use it to load my brush.

[​IMG]
    This is my only Old Spice mug. It was given to me by a gentleman on TSD. It holds my VDH Deluxe, and I use it to load my brush.

[​IMG]
    This is Grandpa Lowe's shaving mug. It holds Williams, and I use it for loading my brush.

[​IMG]
    I got this little bowl and used it for holding VDH Deluxe. I still have it but no longer use it.

[​IMG]
    I used the green glass bowl for a long time when I bowl lathered. The knobs on the bowl made it easier to hold.

[​IMG]
    This green glass bowl holds stuff now.

[​IMG]
    I received this one in a pif after I gave up bowl lathering. It is great for holding stuff.

[​IMG]
    I made this scuttle with a stainless doggy bowl and a soup bowl I found at the Goodwill Store. It is used for storage now as well.

[​IMG]
    This stainless steel bowl is one I purchased at the beginning of my return to wet shaving. I piffed it.

If it is not holding some soap, then it is holding stuff. So, these have been relegated to storage duty for the time being. They may be piffed at some point. Time will tell. I don't anticipate returning to bowl lathering any time in the future.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dzia Dzia and gorgo2 like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Same here. My green rubber Marvy now holds pens and pencils on my desk; my teak candleholder sits by the tub and holds soap but that's about it. Creams are nice b/c I just squirt a dab into a wet brush and go to work.

Jayaruh likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It makes life simpler.

Dzia Dzia and gorgo2 like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

13. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I never really understood shaving mugs. it seems like they would take up way too much room and be awkward. I have a little VDH bowl that I will use if I choose to bowl lather. I would much rather store products in a tin, tub, or a plastic bowl with a lid.YMMV

14. BJHawk1

BJHawk1 Member

I have the standard VDH apothecary mug and a ceramic soup bowl from target although when in antique stores I always look for vintage mugs.

troy_gies likes this.
  15. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

When I use creams, I tend to spread some directly on my face then attack it with a wettish brush, adding more water as necessary. But like everything else, YMMV.

16. troy_gies

troy_gies Active Member

I think shaving mugs need to functional first, but a very close second is personality. I find it interesting that many photos of shaving mugs are re-purposed coffee mugs and the like. I picked up a wide-mouth mug from Macy's for less than $10. I am always on the lookout for a vintage/interesting mug or bowl to take its place. But, bottom line it has to be functional. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

trey06dmd likes this.
  17. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

If you only have a couple they make for nice ambiance for ones Den. As stated they can be functional storage. I like my Colonel Conk scuttle sitting on my SOD shelf and my OS mug holds my loaded brush for my 2nd pass.

trey06dmd likes this.