Different New - curious

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rodd, Mar 4, 2009.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I saw this one on ebay and it really got me curious. Obviously the case looks like the standard Red and Black case for the bar handle NEW, and the head looks like it would go with that set too, but the handle is something I had not seen before. It is NOT a Tuckaway handle. The tuckaway has a smaller diamond pattern on it, and is shorter. The pattern on this handle looks more like the pattern on the New Standard, but it has the top and bottom piece you would expect on a Tuckaway. Anyone seen one of these before? Have any more information for me? Thanks!

Attached Files:

• new.jpg
      new.jpg
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
  2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Wow Rodd good call, only you could've spotted that!

3. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

Maybe a handle from the NEW Lady Gillette?

[​IMG]

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

No, the diamond pattern on the Milady is identical to those on a Tuckaway. Smaller diamonds, and more of them. The length is also the same as the Tuckaway. I will post more pictures next to other razors when it arrives.
    :D

By the way, That is BEAUTIFUL. I am a huge fan of Tuckaways, Norfolks, and Miladys.

5. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

You got me. Is it made in the USA? But, you are right, the diamond pattern is the larger New Improved or New DeLuxe pattern with five points per side instead of the three per side like the Tuckaways and the Milady. Yet, the tip is definitely the Tuckaway/Milady look. Very strange.

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Yep, made in USA. Thanks!

[​IMG]

I love a good mystery.

7. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

very mystery - I´ve never seen before. Congratulation!

8. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

maybe its a big boy tuckaway..

:happy005

9. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

or maybe it is a rollout

10. riffin

riffin Active Member

Is it the same length as the Bostonian? The end knob looks a little different than the Tuckaway too, with a wider gap. At least in the pictures. Could someone have taken knurling from a Bostonian handle and slipped it over a Tuckaway? How does the diameter compare to a Bostonian? Nice catch!

11. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I was wondering myself if it could be after market fabrication. It could be that the Tuckaway handle cracked so badly that they replaced it with the tube from a New Improved or a New DeLuxe. Is that a small crack in the top of the handle in this picture?

[​IMG]

12. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

It is possible. I will compare to a New Improved when it comes in. There is a small crack at the bottom, but not at the top. I think that is just a reflection in the photo. Small cracks don't bother me. Sure I like it when there is no crack, but it is so common.

13. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Yup. Same here. Both my gold and silver Tuckaways have a small crack but they look so purty it doesn't matter. :D

14. riffin

riffin Active Member

Did you uncover anything? I measured Tuckaway and Bostonian handles. They are the same diameter, within the (wide) tolerance of my cheap caliper, but the Bostonian is a 1/4-ish inch longer. Is the end plug different fro other Tuckaways? It appears so in the pictures.

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Actually yes I did. It arrived yesterday, and I have a few pictures to show some of my findings, but my compact flash card is showing up as unformatted on my computer right now, even though the camera can still read it. I will take new pics if I have to. Basically the length of the barrel is the same as the Bostonian, and the end plug looks the same as the Tuckaway. That is pretty much the end of the similarities. The barrel has no markings on it at all. Just the diamond pattern, while every New Improved I have seen has the Jan 13 1920 date on it. The top piece that the head screws in to is different than any other razor I have. It does not come down as rounded as the Tuckaways, and instead of rounding off where it butts against the barrel, it becomes flat leading right in to the barrel. Very different. The head is the same as you would see on a bar handled, or ball end NEW. If this is a franken-razor it is a combination of 3-4 different razors. I am inclined to believe it is original. Unfortunately it does actually have a crack both top and bottom, but they don't line up, and they are small.

16. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Ok, here are some pictures, details in the post above. What do you guys think? Ever seen a New Improved or NEW handle (of this style) without the patent info on it? It has the patent info on the head instead of handle, like the bar handle NEWs.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Could be a legitimate oddball like the "American" Rockets.

18. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

call it the new standaway.

19. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

It very well may have been made that way. The head looks like the one on the Big Boy on the far right in this picture
    [​IMG]

20. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

is it me or is that one shorter?

....or just not even :o