Disappointed with Derby

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by CoinsAndMore, Nov 1, 2011.

1. blazeadam

blazeadam Active Member

I have tried derbys in about 4 different razors and hated them in each one. Waaayy too much tugging for my type of beard.

2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

DERBY's are ok for me they where my first blade, but after saying that I have found a LOT of better blades out there for me that is, so much so I have given the 3 packs I have left to my brother who has just started wet shaving (I talked him in to getting an EDWIN JAGGER 89L) he likes it,

3. VANCE723

VANCE723 Active Member

i use derbys everyday & very happy w/ the shaves..after my 3rd shave i toss it...i figure they are cheap enough & ive got about 180 left.

4. Joe

Joe Member

I have to agree 100%. Even though I am a newbie, Derbys cut me up pretty bad then I read a lot about them and decided never to use them again. I was using Dorco 301,s and now I might switch to Voskhod blades after finally a great shave last night! I still have others to try, but the derbys are long gone hee hee

5. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I too was really disappointed with Derby blades in the past but I discovered they work really well for me in my Krona.

6. CoinsAndMore

CoinsAndMore New Member

I may have to try that. I've been looking for an excuse to add a Krona to the rotation.

7. cryhavoc

cryhavoc Member

Sorry to hear you didn't like the Derby blades. FWIW Derbys are my go to blade follow by Red Packs

8. prostx23

prostx23 Member

I've never tried the blade, but when I'm feeling fancy, I'll wear a derby.:happy102:

9. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I like Derbys, and my face likes Derbys, but my neck and Derbys do not get along.

10. CoinsAndMore

CoinsAndMore New Member

The neck was where I had the most issues with them. My facial beard isn't very coarse. My neck is much tougher with almost random grain. Fun with anything.

11. One word: Astra.

12. ossiezig

ossiezig New Member

My favorite blades so far are the Feather & Gillette 7 o'clock. I will occassionally throw a Derby, Bluebird or Merkur blade in my rotation but it seems like I have to work a bit harder to get the same quality of shave. For my SE, I particular like the carbon Treets, but I suspect I may be in the minority on that one. I haven't found a huge difference in the various blades though, they all get me to the same place.

13. Jeltz

Jeltz Well-Known Member

Derby's were my 1st blade I was new to DE shaving and ended up with loads of irritation, after about 6 months I had good technique and I thought that I should really try Derby's again. I did and low and behold I still hated them!

14. SB85

SB85 New Member

I'm one of those that love Derby blades. With that being said i've only been shaving with a double edge for a few months. I use a Merkur adjustable set at 3 and the Derby has given me great shaves. The only other blade I have tried is Merkur blades which were horribly unkind to me. Still have Astra and Feather to try from my sampler pack.

15. Seamus

Seamus Member

Tried one today, good results in a ball Gillette. Not stellar, but decent on a 2 day old beard. I'll be trying them with other razors before long.

16. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

I got 10 Derbys with the sampler I started with, used 5 of them, were good for the face, but got some weepers on my neck. I ended up trying other blades after that, so I just PIF'd the other 5 away. I don't intend to buy any more, not because I don't like them, but I would rather reach for an Astra SP, or Red pack if I want a mild shave with a middle of the road blade.

17. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Anyone who is disappointed by, or just doesn't like their Derby blades, can send them all to me and I'll be more than happy to use them.

I've found that Williams shave soap is good for handwashing, even though I can't get it to work worth beans for shaving.

18. The world and 'good cause' and 'different ... I think these blades very good, but I think many of you still have not understood a thing, which is' very important! What kind of skin you have? And 'the secret to a good shave, especially with the DE. You can try all the razors you want, but if your skin is not 'suitable for a razor blade, shaving or such, then no need to dwell! And another thing learned: do not shave every day, with products used for this type of smoothing the skin tend to burn much more 'than with a razor Bilam emollients and stripes! Good luck ....

19. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Derby's are difficult to describe. They tug as though they are dull, but they are not. They seem like they would not last for many shaves, but they do, and some. They are sometimes hard on my neck, but have also given me many BBS's. They seem to work best for me in a Fatboy or Slim, and when I have 2 or more days of growth to cut. They give a unique ride, somewhere between an F250 and a Corvette.

20. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Derby's are on of the few blades that I do not care for. I've tried them at year intervals and they did not improve-as some have for me. I still have some and
    will probably try them again. To put it in perspective, they still blow away my previous Fusion. If I made my jump from Fusion to Derby, and Derby
    was the only DE blade on the planet......I'd still be as enthused with wet/DE shaving as I am.