Discontinued soaps...do you use them or just hoard them?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Primotenore, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Many of us have soaps that have been discontinued. Some decades ago and some more recently. If you have some of these soaps, tell us what they are and if you:
    A) Use them and enjoy them and when they're gone...c'est la vie!
    B) Break them out occasionally and after using them wistfully put them away.
    C) Hoard them, only to gaze upon them with a sigh.

My discontinued soaps are:
    Vintage Williams
    AOS Tallow (Sandalwood, Unscented, Lemon, Lavender, Rose Absolute*)
    I Coloniali (Mango)
    WSO Signature
    Figaro Sapone (Original P.160)

Old Spice (Shulton)
    *Cream, non-tallow
    My answer is A. I use and enjoy each and every one. When they are gone - they are gone. (in my case, not until the year 2032) :)
    Your turn...

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Use them.
    The only 1 I have left is I Coloniali and I use it once a month or so. It'll be around for another couple of years.

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Why have them if you're not going to use them at least on occasion?

5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Ugh! I'm looking for AOS rose absolute. But I only have 2 vintage soaps. Old spice and French Palmolive shave stick.

Keithmax and Primotenore like this.
  6. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I have a wooden bowl of Yardley's, and a puck of vintage Williams. I use the Williams when I feel nostalgic and want to shave like my dad did. I need to start using the Yardley's more after I rehydrate it. The scents gone so I may just grate it up and then infuse it with some Clubman Aftershave, and some glycerine. The one time that I used it the lather was thick and had pretty good glide. It was just a little bit drying to my skin, good soap though.

Clayton

Keithmax, Primotenore and RyX like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Two no longer produced.

A vintage stick of Williams that I've both used & shared with a couple of TSDers.

A tub of Strop Shoppe S.E. London Morning tallow received in a trade with a forum member. I purchased a sample tub from Maggard but didn't order a full sized before the company shut down. It's in the rotation.

I passed on a $25 puck of NOS Old Spice soap at a local antique shop. It's gone now and I hope the buyer is using it up.

Primotenore likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use or give away to my youngest son, seeing you list WSO makes me want to find it and use.

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's ok to trade them for the Veg. Or mail them to me and I will.

10. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

The word "hoard" can have such a negative connotation. It makes me think of someone who ended up on the evening news after being removed from their home and having the structure condemned by the health department.

I prefer to think of myself as a curator.

That being said, I have Old Spice and Williams in the vintage soap category and I am slowly using them. However, I have multiples of each and I didn't use either until I acquired at least two (so I could continue to have one for my shave museum).

Strangely though, I've only been eccentric in my behavior regards soaps. Anything else vintage gets used (except, of course, rusty blades and/or rotted aftershave).

Screwtape, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Use them, they are not art to be hung on the wall. Once they are gone there are plenty of good new soaps.

I have some AoS tallow and vintage Old Spice. I happily use them. Then again I will buy a NOS razor and use it.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Use 'em.
    Still working through a puck of Old Spice.
    Used up - Colgate Mug soap & Tom's of Maine cream

Primotenore likes this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I have a Colgate mug soap, thanks to a PIF. Anxious to get going with that before too long.

RyX and Primotenore like this.
  14. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I only have a Strop Shoppe Baker Street soap, but I'll use it up. Stirling has resurrected that scent. Why own it if you don't use it?

BigMark83, RyX and Primotenore like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

As I read your post, and got to "Baker Street", I said "Hey, Stirling has one of the same name!". Thus confirmed! :).

PLAla and Primotenore like this.
  16. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

I just bought a ton of Strop Shoppe. Use and hoard.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
    Keithmax, Primotenore, RyX and 2 others like this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I continue to use them. I may slow down from using as a daily driver to make them last longer, but no sense in hoarding.

18. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I use them occasionally. I have 5 tubs of stroppe shoppe and i love that stuff. Hate they stopped making it.

Keithmax, RyX and Primotenore like this.
  19. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that I also have an 80's vintage puck of Colgate Mug Soap that I'll probably start using within the month. Think I'll grate it and infuse it with some Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, and some glycerine. I say if you've got vintage soaps in your collection to use them and get some enjoyment out of them. Only way I'll buy vintage again is if I can get it cheap, because there are too many new soaps out there that I want to try.

Clayton

Keithmax, Primotenore and RyX like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

i would 'special occasion' them if they were top notch and then move on to replace them .