Discontinued soaps...do you use them or just hoard them?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Primotenore, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I sparingly use my Shulton Old Spice soap for rare occasions. I also have soaps that I have ordered "backups" of which not only are discontinued, but are one-of-a-kind. One is a Mama Bear Soaps' Obsession for Men cologne clone soap. It's spicy and a top notch scent. She only make a bath soap of this scent and no shave soaps. (I have a thread in the trading section and am willing to trade soaps since I have like 12 pucks of the Mama Bear batch she made).

I also have one-of-a-kind custom soaps from Kevin of Country Club for Men who just went on a hiatus from making soaps (and might not ever make them again). You can contact Kevin personally on his website for a personal soap-making request when he completes his updates and changes to it at some point. I consider the soaps he made for me to be one-of-a-kind. I don't know of anyone who owns the scents I have. That's kind of depressing since I consider the dupes he made of Creed's Bois du Portugal and Creed's Spice & Wood to be spectacular and would like more people to be able to enjoy them.

It's very likely that "someday" the scents of '95 Liquid Labels and Royal Garden will be gone from Catie's Bubbles' lineup as he said to me that he is going to be someday making scents of his own creation instead of duplication scents. I also have shave set of the scent "Confiant" that he only made a limited run of (and it's questionable if he ever will again).

Yehuda D, Keithmax, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have colgate mug and barbershop soaps several of each. I use them and sometimes pass one along. I have some of the vintage palmolive cream I use at times too. I have a couple tubes of Toms I need to get back too and one old spice cake that is about 90%. I use them. When they are gone their are other products to use.

Primotenore, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  3. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I break mine out occasionally. CRSW Limenthol and Barbier Sapone. Two great scents.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yehuda D, Primotenore and RyX like this.
  4. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Aaaaaaand I just saw that Limenthol is back in the Select formulation. I am on a no buy, but that one might have to find its way in. My old tub is showing metal on the bottom.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Primotenore likes this.
  5. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi folks, the only vintage shave soap I still have is in a Christmas package with a mug and brush all wrapped in cellophane, it is all Burma Shave products. The soap puck is in a small box inside it.........I'm hoarding that one. I have one discontinued soap, well one in my mug, and one in the wrapper, by Ray's of Colorado. Sandalwood in the wrapper, and Ray's Ole Spiced in the mug-my favorite RoC soap. I had some vintage Colgate stick soap from a 1920's combination set, but it's gone now. I am in the process of talking my buddy out of one of his pucks of vintage Colgate. But no luck yet. I'll be using any or all of my vintage and discontinued soaps except the Burma Shave. I just don't want to break up that set...............yet.

Primotenore likes this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You go get 'em Alan! :chores016:

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Actually just finished up a TSD specialty scent - Interception.
    JoAnna created it several years back when there was a TSD Fantasy Football League.
    I don't think she ever offered it to the public. Count it as DISCONTINUED. :(

Yehuda D and Primotenore like this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have a few vintage William's that I am holding on to, for no apparent reason.

I also have a tube of Noxzema Lather Shave that I use sparingly. I should use it more, so as to not let it separate.

Primotenore and Yehuda D like this.
  9. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I never knew about that one! lollll

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I used to use that Noxzema when I lived in Germany, I really really loved it

Yehuda D likes this.
  11. Yehuda D

Jeff, don't worry about it separating. I had a tube of Noxzema for around 15 years after the discontinuation and the cream held its consistency perfectly. Trust me on that, buddy! ;)

12. stingraysrock

Yay!

Yehuda D likes this.
  13. stingraysrock

It is really good stuff. PREP comes close, but falls just a tad short...

Yehuda D likes this.
  14. Yehuda D

It was a wonderful cream. I still have some tubes which I bought a long time ago and I'm keeping them.

15. stingraysrock

Let me know how many PM's you get pleading to let a tube go at any price! Seriously... If people will pay $200.00 for a Toggle on ebay; how much would they pay for a NOS tube of Noxzema?

Yehuda D likes this.
  16. Yehuda D

lollllll I don't care how much they offer me - these tubes stay here!

Primotenore and AGHisBBS like this.
  17. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I have vintage Colgate, and Yardley Soaps, and I just won a NOS Old Spice mug and soap in the box off Ebay. It's 1985 vintage and tallow is the first ingredient listed on the box.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

18. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi Clayton, if you would be interested, I think @Primotenore is looking to acquire some vintage Yardleys. He has an entry in the Want To Trade section of the Marketplace forum here at The Shave Den. You two might make an arrangement on some. Just a thought. God Bless, and have a great day.

19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have some Vintage Yardley shave soap, in the wooden container. I use it sparingly, because it's hard to come by. It's a very good soap, but others are produced now that are even better.

20. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Mine was a little drying to my skin so I grated it and re scented it with some Skinbracer, and added 10 drops of glycerine. Should be ready to use this week. To preserve the wood bowl I put my Yardley in a Ziploc container.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk