Dispose of lather in bowl after every shave?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by IrishShaver, Mar 21, 2016.

1. IrishShaver

IrishShaver New Member

Hi Guys,

Complete newbe here!

After years and years of consistent shave rash on my neck I have discovered 'Wet Shaving' - and surprise surprise my neck is now completely rash free!

I am using a simple Wilkinson Sword DE Safety Razor, Loccitane soap in a bowl and a badger brush. Using Kiehls for after shave balm. Waiting on my Edwin Jagger Barley DE89BA11 to arrive in the post.

With the L'occ soap in its bespoke metal bowl I obviously let the soap dry in the bowl after shaving, on top of the original puc and use it again - however I have ordered some creams in tubes and am wondering...........

My question is if I am using a cream, and use a small amount to create a lather in a clean bowl, do I empty the remains after shaving and start fresh mixing every time (obviously I only use a small amount of cream) or do I let it dry and use again like the Locc Bowl?

Any help much appreciated!!

SHAVEWIZARD420 and AGHisBBS like this.
  2. bcannon87

bcannon87 Well-Known Member

I guess it's personal opinion but I wash my bowl out after every lather. There's usually not enough left to worry with anyhow:

3. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I wash out my mug after every shave.I like to clean out the mug and the Arko pucks that I'm using seem to last forever so it doesn't feel to me like I'm wasting anything.

TheManWithNoName and IrishShaver like this.
  4. IrishShaver

IrishShaver New Member

So I guess you keep the Arko in one bowl, wet the brush, dip it into the Arko Bowl to get soap on the brush, then use a separate bowl to create your lather?

I am really confused now! looking at youtube clips I thought you just used the bowl the puck was in to create the lather - like how I have been using my L'occ bowl?

AGHisBBS likes this.
  5. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

I use a scuttle so yes, I load my brush in a separate bowl or in the soap container and then build my later in the scuttle. If there is any lather left in the bowl or scuttle, I rinse each and am ready for the next shave.

6. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

Hello, IrishShaver. Welcome to the Den!

Whether you work up your lather directly in the bowl the soap is in or in a separate bowl, that's really a matter of personal preference. I keep my soaps in a separate container and then work up my lather in a separate lathering bowl after I've loaded the brush. After I'm done shaving, I clean out my lathering bowl. I've never not cleaned out my lathering bowl after a shave, so I don't know if the lather would hold up until the next shave. I'm inclined to think it wouldn't.

If you work up your lather in the same container your soap is kept in, it wouldn't hurt anything by leaving any residual lather in the container when you're done shaving. But I know some who do like to rinse out their container after they're done with their shave. Again, that's a matter of personal preference.

AGHisBBS and IrishShaver like this.
  7. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I rinse out the scuttle and the brush for the next day. Having 20 years worth of soap and cream I don't feel wasteful.

8. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

I would advise not letting lather dry and reusing. It doesn't work as well.

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Wash out the bowl and brush, after all you are only using a small amount. Start fresh.

10. IrishShaver

IrishShaver New Member

Thanks guys for all the help!

I've been doing this for a week- and already I am a awaiting a 'few' items to arrive from eBay........2xArko sticks, a La Toja stick, a Bea stick and a tube of Lea cream.......so I guess ALREADY I have a few years supply worth!!

I was just confused about best practice rather than trying to save cents - I like the idea of a fresh lather every time.

The way to deal with soap that comes prepacked in a bowl like my L'occ or Proraso had me a bit confused!

AGHisBBS, RaZorBurn123 and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

You're going to love La Toja shave stick, that stuff makes monster creamy lather and smells nice to boot! :)

12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

You will love the La Toja stick! Great stuff! With the Arko you can use a pocket knife and slice it into small pieces and mold it into a bowl or mug using your thumbs.

AGHisBBS and IrishShaver like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Welcome!
    And as far as "best practice", we have a saying 'round here - It's your shave. Enjoy it your way. :)

14. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I rinse my bowl out after every shave, simply because I've gotten used to my sink looking nicer since coming to this site. You guys have ruined me for life.

15. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Hi Irish shaver.
    I keep my soap-bowl separate to my lathering bowl, each to their own though; I'm learning there's no right or wrong way, just your way. I load my brush with a little soap, then either face lather or use my shaving bowl, to bowl lather, depending on how I feel. I usually load my brush with just enough soap to create lather for three passes. I think that's just practice and being used to a certain soap. I tried with Taylor's of Bond Street lavender cream, the other day and there was lather everywhere. That stuff is bonkers. I always clean everything out after I've finished. Cheers.

AGHisBBS and TheManWithNoName like this.
  16. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I use an additional bowl to build the lather. Some soaps work better than others but I wet my brush (if it's a hard soap I also put some water on the puck before my shower to soften it up) and give 5-15 swirls on the soap. I then go to my lather bowl and swirl around for 10 seconds. Push the lather that has built back down to the bottom of the bowl and 10 more seconds. I do this 2-3 more times until the lather is thick and abundant. I then bring the brush to my face, swirl it around my wet neck which builds even more lather and then brush it on. I usually do 3 passes, wet my face between passes, put a few drops of water in my bowl and give it 10 more seconds of swirling and go again. Do not be gentle with the brush. I also do not wash off the puck, I pour the water off if I added some to the puck, rinse out my lather bowl and let the puck dry overnight and cover it up until next time.

AGHisBBS and TheManWithNoName like this.
  17. GMPTA

GMPTA Active Member

+1
    Tried it when I accidentally squeezed out more cream than needed. The re-lather the following day was no good. If it's lather that remains ON a puck then it doesn't matter because you'll be picking up new soap when you load your brush anyways

AGHisBBS likes this.
  18. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Or...face lather and don't worry about a lather bowl.

AGHisBBS and BamaT like this.
  19. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Agreed, it's a nice soap!

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I too clean up and start fresh. I like the look of everything gleaming on the counter after a shave.