DIY after shave splash?

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by tuxxdk, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

hmm... castor oil? why? will that not close the pores? and make your face shiny?

2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I read that Castor oil was great for skin care and also saw that the Williams Ice Cool for instance has Castor added.

My face didn't get shiny after todays shave.

Omelmad likes this.
  3. tuxxdk

Omelmad likes this.
  4. Omelmad

Thats cool =) if it works then it works haha !

5. Omelmad

LOL, oilpedia! thats great, my girlfriend want to try the Oil cleansing method =) so that will be a good start

6. tuxxdk

There's a really good link at that site with a list of all oils etc and whether they clog or not.

7. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

i use sweet almond oil and jojoba as a facial moisturizer.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I found this website that has several good DIY recipes for aftershave lotion. Personally, I would not use rubbing alcohol...too harsh and drying. There are other substitutes, e.g. Alcohol, the kind you drink, eg. Vodka or rum. There are a few recipes I would like to try from this website. I have to be careful with scents.

http://m.wikihow.com/Make-Aftershave

9. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

Robyflexx and Rusty blade like this.
  10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have mixed different colognes and added WH and glycerin with good results. there are many recopies for bay rum or you could take WH and add EO or Fragrance oils to make whatever scent you want. the possibilities are endless.

Robyflexx and Rusty blade like this.
  11. rxshave

rxshave Member

+1

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Thought of making some as well.
    Maybe everclear for alchahol, rose water,wh,coconut oil, jojoba oil,splash of tea trea and scent.
    NO ALUM. Even though I love the feel.

tuxxdk likes this.
  13. tuxxdk

Lemme know how it goes! I have some tea tree oils on the way for this exact purpose, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Kizurra likes this.
  14. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Will do once I aquire all the goods.

tuxxdk likes this.
  15. tuxxdk

So. Today the tea tree came.

I had about 20ml left in my flask of AS. Pure guestimate. I added 4 drops. Initially felt it was too strong but thestaying power was weak so maybe it was good enough. I am not after staying power.

If I normally make 80ml, do I just add up then? That'll be 16 drops. Is it that easy to mix up and down or is it perhaps not linear?

Kizurra likes this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

No, it should be linear.

tuxxdk and Kizurra like this.
  17. tuxxdk

Thanks, Sara.

Sara-s and Kizurra like this.
  18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Martin I have a question for you. The recipe in you signature is a little different then this one. I am having a go at making my own aftershave and I am using Everclear as the alcohol component (95% alcohol by volume). If I used 75ml of this as in your signature recipe I think it would have too much alcohol. Is that why you added the 25ml of distilled water as above, to reduce the overall alcohol content to somewhere around 33% ?

puggy1 likes this.
  19. tuxxdk

Hi!

Yes, that is exactly why. I felt it was too strong, but from skin-feel but also in smell - pure isopropyl alcohol stinks! :) If WH wasn't so expensive (where I live) I would just have added more of that instead of water.

In my quote in your post I state there's virtually no scent. I came to the conclusion after consecutive uses, that it was not the case after-all. The recipe I have in my signature is the one I use now and I'm very happy with it.

We have something here similar to Everclear, but it's very expensive (you get the picture of Denmark, I presume? :D ) so I have never tried it. It's supposed to be scent-less.

Linuxguile likes this.
  20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thank you! So a ratio of 2:1 WH:Everclear should put me at about the correct alcohol content. Fantastic!