Do I use cold water on the razor before starting the shave?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by DannyRodriguez, Jan 2, 2016.

1. DannyRodriguez

DannyRodriguez New Member

Hello. I use a DE Safety razor and I'm wondering how I should prepare my blade before it touches my skin.

Do run it under cold water before starting my shave or hot water? Or any water at all? Or is it a preference thing, some people like warm and some like cold?

Because some places on the internet says I should run the blade under warm water when rinsing the blade inbetween strokes and I've always been told that running it under cold water was best. Which is it?

And most importantly, why cold or why warm?

2. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I don't think it matters either way except for possibly comfort. I always stop up the sink and just use the warm water within.
    There is scene in the movie Miller's Crossing where the gangster kingpin explains to Gabriel Byrnes character that running your blade under cold water is the secret to a closer shave. I think he was referring to using a straight razor though. I have no idea if that movie statement has any basis in reality though.
    The reality of shaving is that many people find different ways that work for them. There are a few members that prefer to shave with cold water. I've tried it. It works but I don't find it as pleasing as using warm/hot water.

Slow Joe and Robyflexx like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi, Danny. It's your shave. Enjoy it your way. Really. Do what you want, try different things different ways. You're only doing it wrong if you're not enjoying the shave.

Dzia Dzia, Eeyore, Halvor and 3 others like this.
  4. DannyRodriguez

DannyRodriguez New Member

That's so funny cos that's the movie quote I've based my shaving technique for the past 10 years on. I'm switching up my gear and getting some quality equipment now, going from cream to soap, using a badger brush, switching from cartridge to safety razor. So I figured this'd be a good time to review my technique as well. I always wondered if that quote was true or not.

I have another question though, about the rinsing. I've always done it under running water but you say you use a pool of water in your sink? I've heard this gives you an advantage when using razors with tight passages. Why do you do it? What's the advantage over running water?

Also, some people tell me to shave once with the grain and once against the grain. Some people say once with the grain and once across the grain and some people tell me to do it twice with the grain. What's the right answer?

Also, while I'm here, are there any other tricks I should be aware of?

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I actually run hot tap water over my razor just before I perform my first pass. No scientific reason, I just do.

6. swarden43

You've answered your own question - some say this, some say that. That means people are doing what they like. You gotta try different things/ways to find what you like.

I shower before I shave, always in the morning
    I use hot water for the whole shave
    I bowl lather
    I fill the sink
    I make three passes, last one always against the grain
    I rinse with cold water

For everything I just listed, there are folks here who do just the opposite

They shower after the shave
    They use cold water
    They face lather
    They use running water
    They only make two passes, and never against the grain
    They rinse with warm water

Dzia Dzia, Spyder and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I fill the sink with warm water and regularly dip and rinse my razor. Water makes the soap slick and cushions you face. I take a few stokes, swish off the soap on the razor and continue.

Slow Joe and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I mainly fill the sink to not waste water. I normally take my time shaving so water would run for 10 to 15 minutes.
    As for shaving directions, my face is a pretty standard 3-pass shave. One WTG, one XTG and then touch ups ATG.
    My neck is a confusing mess of directions with sensitive skin. Envisioning a compass on your mirror I normally first go South to North, then diagonally NE to SW, and if there's no blood and my skin feels up to it I'll do a last pass from SE to NW.
    I'm about 10 years into wet shaving and am still trying to fine tune my neck procedure.

jsw41, Slow Joe and Robyflexx like this.
  9. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Same for me.

Robyflexx and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

My routine is basically the same as @swarden43 , with the exception that I face lather , only reason being; he doesn't realize he's doing it wrong:) Sorry Steve, I just couldn't help myself;)

Slow Joe, Robyflexx, youngunn and 2 others like this.
  11. swarden43

If I'm doing it wrong, then why am I enjoying my shaves :signs002: :rofl:

Slow Joe and Spyder like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I fill the sink with cold water.
    I wash my face with Dove Mens + Face Wash and rinse with cold water.
    I wet my brush with cold water and load it with soap.
    I face lather.
    I shave and rinse with cold water.
    I face lather again.
    I do a second pass and rinse with cold water.
    I use an alum block.
    I brush my teeth.
    I rinse with cold water and pat dry.
    I apply witch hazel.
    I clean up the area while the wh dries.
    I apply aftershave.
    Fine.

Robyflexx, youngunn and Spyder like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Warm water rinse to clear the software out of the hardware.
    I do notice many soaps or cremes stick to either a straight or DE if the razor is cold.

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I shave with either hot water or cold water depending on mood and experimentation. With a hot water shave I fill the sink with hot water and before each pass dip the razor in the water. Same with cold shave just with cold water.

Robyflexx likes this.
  15. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

If your face is wet and lathered you really don't even need to wet your razor until it's time to rinse out the goop.

16. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I don't think it matters I guess a warm blade feels nicer. The more important question as it relates to irritation, do you put warm or cold water on your face. I'm a CWS guy.

17. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I once had my American cousin on visit for a few days. Before his shower he would turn on the hot water 20 minutes before he went in and during those 20 minutes he'd shave and prepare for the shower. In my 13 years as a house owner I have never had a daily water usage this high. I was stunned of the way he shaved and showered. His response? He never thought of that before and he always did it like that at home.

My point being after this long potato: why don't you shut of the water in between rinses and passes? If I were to fill my sink I would use more water than just turning the water on and off when required.

Just curious and wondering. :)

18. swarden43

That's what I do. Your cousin may have lived in a place that didn't charge for water. I have to pay for what I use.

tuxxdk likes this.
  19. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

That could be the why.

It just distances a lot from me - even when something is cheap or free, I conserve. Especially when dealing with Mother Nature's resources.

Slow Joe likes this.
  20. jmaier

jmaier Well-Known Member

Ditto for me, but a word of caution for the OP - cold water isn't as effective at rinsing soap and cream out of your razor. Even when I'm doing a cold water shave, I sometimes find it helpful to rinse my razor with warm water between passes to properly clear all the crud out.