Do you have any unusual wet shaving habits?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have several unusual habits related to my wet shaving. Here are a few ( they sound more like true confessions). There are others that I can't bring myself to confess. Here goes...

1. I have get everything organized very carefully on my sink counter before I can start shaving. Pre shave stuff on the left, post shave stuff on the right.
    2. I spend an unusual amount of time on shaving forums, and window shopping straight razors on various websites.
    3. I enjoy watching men shaving on YouTube. (I can't believe I just said that).
    4. Deciding what soap or razor to use in the morning helps me to fall asleep at night.
    5. I take my razor collection out to admire several times a week.
    6. My brushes have to be lined up perfectly on my shelf, labels facing forward.
    7. I can't stop sniffing my soaps and creams...even though I know exactly what they smell like.
    8. A bad shave can ruin my whole day.

I better stop there for now...I am getting near the edge. Any unusual habits you care to share?

ninjack, brit, Demidog and 9 others like this.
  2. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I use each blade twice. After the first use, I take it out and spray it with rubbing alcohol then stand it up in a particular spot on the counter against the wall. It must be in this exact spot and cannot lean one way or the other. I will adjust it if it tilts.
    I too lik#3 and 8.

ninjack, Keithmax, preidy and 3 others like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

The forum time is pretty unusual for me, and the taking of pics to share. I dont even have a facebook, but daily(mostly) take pics of my shave gear.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It appears that I am not the only Den member with OCD...:happy097:

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs011:

6. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Now that I think about it, it seems I'm unable to use the same soap twice in a row. Brush, razor and aftershave is okay, but not the soap :signs002:

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I venture to guess that MOST people outside the wet-shaving community would consider this behavior unusual….. :D

preidy, alpla444, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  8. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

I do most of the things you do because it's a nice distraction for me. I don't get out my razors because I only have 2 haha. I do like to either lay out everything I'm going to use the night before or use that thought process to fall asleep.

9. Rusty blade

What? Really? :shocked003:

10. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's an unusual wet shaving habbit but I can't use the same soap 2 days in a row either. I can use the same brush for a month but shave soap? Never.

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

when I get all lathered up, I walk in to my bedroom to put my comb back, and sometimes walk across my living room to open or close my screen window, to help keep the lather on for a while.

12. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

A side from a few on your list that I do/enjoy, when I get new soaps I go and smell them over and over.
    My wife looks at me like I am stupid and just shakes her head.

mrchick, Rusty blade and Billyfergie like this.
  13. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

"They have doctors for all of this."

mrchick, Rusty blade and Billyfergie like this.
  14. Mike Powell

Yup, that they do, mine says he cant help me....

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I hope she likes their fragrances, at least. And, glad to make your acquaintance-I am also a rookie wet-shaver, in that I've yet to use a brush and puck.

16. Mike Powell

Nice to meet you Paul, I have been shaving with a DE for about 2 years, but just a couple of months now with a soap and brush. BUT, in this short time I am accumulating a decent amount quickly.

17. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I've been trying to convert mine.

mrchick, RyX, Rusty blade and 2 others like this.
  18. Rusty blade

I can't imagine what I would say to a doctor (assuming I actually want to be cured).

Rusty: "Ah...doc...I have a problem..."
    Doctor: "Come in, sit down and tell me how I can help you".
    Rusty: "...well it's kind of hard to explain. Say, I see you are clean shaven...do you use a straight razor?
    Doctor: "No...just a plain old cartridge razor from the grocery store".
    Rusty: "Gosh...could have fooled me. Anyway..yea...my problem. I don't think its a problem, but everyone around me says what I like doing is not normal..."
    Doctor: "Go on...I'm listening".
    Rusty: "Well you see, it's like this. Here...I have a list I can show you to explain. I posted this on TSD. Everyone on TSD thinks I am normal...but everyone around me at home thinks I'm nuts..."
    Doctor: "I see (he says...reaching for his prescription pad)".

Nope...it's not going to work. I will just learn to live with it. ;)

mrchick and Billyfergie like this.
  19. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

Or the Dr. will become a wet shaving convert. I have talked about this with a few of my clients (All Docs) and have converted a few of them. Most of them find it to be a waste of time though and are perfectly happy with their electric razor.

I thought of another unusual wet shaving habit:
    Any time I shave I consciously rate and review the slickness, residual slickness, cushion, moisturizing and scent of the soap I am using. It is just part of my OCD that cannot be helped.

20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    When I see someone on TV or in a movie shave, I observe closely and critique their technique. It's one reason why I rarely watch shaving videos, unless it's an elderly barber giving the shave.

I do find "drunk shaving" videos rather interesting though. :)