do you hold out for TTO end caps?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by maltedmilk, Apr 3, 2014.

1. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Though out of hobby money for awhile, I still scout the bay dreaming about my next prize. I was eyeballing Aristocrats and saw a beauty. However, when I noticed that the hinges had no covers I was very disappointed.

I've read that TTOs can work just fine without hinge covers, but all my TTOs have them. I would prefer to not break that trend except for a really nice cash discount.

Where do you guys stand on TTO hinge covers? How much would you knock off of your offering price?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

That's an interesting question as the 1962 Gillette SS I just won at auction is missing a cover. Honestly, I didn't care because I was just curious about a vintage razor and I think that's a part of why I got a really low price on it.

If I was actually collecting them or putting them on display somehow, I think the missing cover would be a lot bigger of a deal to me. Unless it was a very rare item and a missing piece was somewhat common/acceptable, I don't think I'd get it at any price.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Are we talking here about the hinge end caps? If so, I personally wouldn't buy one that is missing pieces. Why? Resale. You are already starting at a disadvantage by purchasing a razor that is less than 100% complete.
    That being said, the missing end caps don't effect how well the razor performs. If the going price for an intact model is, say, $40—I'd offer 20-25% off the normal asking price.
    Fact remains, if you don't like the razor, you have to face the same uphill battle in finding a buyer for an 'incomplete' razor.
    The exception being the 1941 model which was does not have end caps.
    1941 Aristo on left (no caps). The next models produced form 1946 on, do have them.
    [​IMG]

My old 41 model...no end caps...
    [​IMG]

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

If it's priced right, and it's going to be used not displayed. I could care less about the end caps. I'm with Kevin, 20-25% off.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I think end caps were a post WWII improvement.

6. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Yes... END CAPS... too bad I can't edit the thread title.

SO... I hear up to 25% off.

Yeah... I also figured my prejudice against missing end caps might give over to a lust for a particular model and how hard it was to find. At this point, I intend to take the high road. Pip-pip to superiority, snobbery, and all that. <little finger extended, monacle firmly in place ... kinda like how Mr. Peanut shaves>

HolyRollah likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm not sure that Mr. Peanut is one whom I'd wish to emulate.
    After all, it took him over 90 years to realize he was going out in public top-less!
    [​IMG]

8. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

That doesn't explain what he's exposing beneath his "top."

9. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Dudes! Mr. Peanut is dressed in his shell! His nuts are fully covered. The jacket that appeared lately is merely an accessory.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thank goodness for small blessings! ;)

maltedmilk likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

You can edit the title.

12. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Well... sho' 'nuff! ...

Top Right | Thread Tools | Edit Title

...and done. I never noticed that before.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.