Do you use Unscented Soap/Creams?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Fly2High, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

With so many great shaving cream scents out there, I was wondering if anyone uses the unscented?

I am sure there are those who have allergies and might be forced to use the unscented. That is understandable and unfortunate. I am more interested if there are those who intentionally use the unscented stuff and why.

Do any find the unscented lather differently?

Do you prefer to have no scent or like a cologne or aftershave better?

Or do you feel why get a scented soap/scream when the scent tends to to last very long?

What is your reason for choosing unscented?

thanks

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The only unscented I have used was KMF, when I first started several years ago. I used it to rescue a bad lather without interfering with the scent of my failed attempt at lathering a soap.

Other folks use unscented exclusively due to allergies or headache triggers. I think @MoAllen is one of the exclusive unscented users, IIRC.

crackstar and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I can't help you much because I have almost all scented soaps. I had some TSD Unscented in the shave stick form, but the twist mechanism malfunctioned and the soap wouldn't come up anymore. I tossed it out. But it was good soap while the mechanism worked. I think I prefer scents in the long run.

crackstar likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here.
    Also use the unscented KMF to help boost the lather of poor lathering soaps that I like the scent of. Woods of Windsor is one such soap - love the scent, but poor lather.

crackstar and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I only use unscented if I am covering said item with another scent that would clash. Most people get unscented because they are
    A) allergic
    B) not wanting to offend other household members such as SWMBO
    or
    C) advanced wet shavers that are mixing and creating their own scents by using fragrances/essential oils

crackstar likes this.
  6. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Being new to wet shaving, I have quickly appreciated the scents. Coming from the lousy Edge Sensitive can o gel, the scents really help start the day right.

I was curious if someone would take a favorite cologne and add it themselves to an unscented knowing they were going to use it later on anyway. You know, give the wife/significant other a pre-scent exposure to let them know you are thinking of them and get a good mood going.

Also, I wasn't sure if people would mash in their own scents. Grate the soap down and add the oils or whatever to make a scent of their own.

I have a AOS unscented and my thinking was that I did not want the scent to interfere with the cologne my wife likes.

After all, I 'smell' for her!!!

crackstar likes this.
  7. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

You beat me to it. Thanks.

Is there somewhere that those who create their own scents will reveal their recipe?

crackstar likes this.
  8. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

I switched to unscented products exclusively a few years back. It made a big difference with my rosacea (red patches on my cheeks, noise, and forehead).

I wash my face with unscented baby shampoo. I lather up with one of my favorite unscented soaps or cremes. I finish with a bracing cold water rinse and Cerave unscented lotion.

Unscented soap and cream may not seem very interesting, but I come to appreciate the varying qualities and scents of fragrance-free products. I tend to use each product in my rotation several days before moving on to the next.

9. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Most people will offer help/recipes if you ask

10. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I use unscented artisan soaps. First, I have extremely hard water and I see a noticeable increase in performance with unscented soaps. Folks with normal water probably would not detect the difference. Second, I've never been much into exotic scents; my number one priority is performance. Third, I like the clean look and smell of unscented soaps.

crackstar likes this.
  11. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Thanks Dennis. Appreciate the feedback.

crackstar likes this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I just got wind of this thread, but it all makes scents to me. :)

13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I've got one unscented cream. Simpsons. Just wanted to try it. Lathers really nice

PLAla likes this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Scented or unscented soaps from the same manufacturer will lather the same, Soap Commander makes a great unscented soap.

PLAla likes this.
  15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Very puny Charlie!

16. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Me!

99% of the time, I use unscented soaps. Throughout my years of wet shaving, I've found that I'm highly sensitive to most fragrance oils and some essential oils like cinnamon, bay rum, clove, etc. I can get slight, itching and burning senstations (heh) or I've even had my face swell up like a balloon. So, pretty much most of the popular shaving soaps out there, I can't try, haha.

Surprisingly, my face seems to love almond oil, so I can use my Cella and Valobra, but that's about it. I have recently purchased a tub of Stirling's Unscented with Beeswax and I'm blown away by the performance. The best unscented shaving soap I've ever tried.

PLAla likes this.
  17. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Not from what I was told by a Soaper when I wrote him about noticing a difference between his scented and non-scented soaps. I didn't expect there to be a difference. His response was,"...anything you add to a soap that is not soap diminishes lather-ability..." (paraphrased).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    AOS Tallow Unscented. First-Rate.
    Vintage Williams (Scentless after so long). Second to none.
    Simpsons Unscented Cream. Very Nice.
    I don't prefer scented soaps; rather I prefer soaps that perform to my standards. Lather and Scent(less).

MoAllen likes this.
  19. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

+1 AOS tallow unscented, also it's twin Valobra unscented

TOBS natural unscented cream is excellent

Kiss My Face unscented cream is great and available locally!

Mike's Natural unscented tallow soap is my absolute favorite.

20. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

Black Tie Razor Company *only* makes unscented soap. If you want scent, we have scented shave oils to add to the soap or for use as a pre-shave. This way you can change things up by simply changing the oil. New scent released every quarter. Soap, oil, blades available via subscription as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk