Does Face lathering encourage razor burn?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by nsomnac, Apr 25, 2014.

1. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

Now I know RB is caused by getting too close of a shave usually reducing with ATG strokes and possibly too much pressure.

As I was traveling this week, I thought I'd give face lathering a try. So far the lather made through face lathering seems pretty great - however, I'm not quite so sure in that with the same razor/blade combos I've used with bowl/scuttle lathering - I know got myself a wicked razor burn (no nicks or weepers though).

I'm wondering if this is a side-effect of doing the face lather as I've never RB'd myself this bad bowl lathering - occasionally get part of my chin, however this time it was practically half my face. If it is - any tips to avoid this? More water? more soap? Something else?

Thanks!

2. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I don't know what soap you were using or your prep etc. there are a hundred reasons a shave can go sideways and a million reasons one can go right. I would say, generally, that if you are getting razor burn it is likely a pressure thing. As a rule, a lather can help to alleviate the results of imperfect technique (like Tabac, for instance, which seems to let you do whatever with the razor) however don't be mistaken, the razor burn is almost never the fault of the lather. It may be in your case, but the more likely culprit is too much pressure on the razor. Try to concentrate on letting the weight of the razor control the shave and remember that each pass reduces whiskers by sme margin rather than trying to remove the whiskers in one pass with pressure.

On the other hand, there is such a thing as irritation caused by either the brush or the soap. I have had negative reactions to coconut soaps. (They smell so awesome, it's not fair that I can't use them) and I have had "brush burn" while face lathering. The brush can cause some irritation, however it is mild and pretty obviously shows up while lathering. The soap ingredient sensitivity I can't say. For me with the coconut, it was fairly immediate and obvious what was happening. For you, I can't say.

So I hope this has been a sufficiently vague response because, frankly, the majority of wet shaving is of the YMMV variety. Good luck in sorting all this out. It may seem like a lot to take in but with experience, it all starts to make sense.

angrygio698 and Tdmsu like this.
  3. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I've experienced this problem in the past when I traveled and left my bowl at home.
    For the sake of saving space, I would usually take my Omega 10066 and the tube of Palmolive Classic crème.
    I found that I had to be careful with this brush when shaving every day and face lathering. It's shorter and stiffer
    than the brushes I use at home for regular every day shaving, and if I spend too much time with it on my face trying to get a decent lather
    I'll irritate my skin before ever picking the razor up.

I like face lathering, and I do a fair bit of it at home. But it proved to be a problem for me when traveling.
    I still take the '66 and the Palmolive, but I've adopted a smaller plastic bowl that is easy
    to travel with and I don't worry about over scrubbing the mug anymore.

Hope this helps.

Tdmsu and feeltheburn like this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Either your lather was off, you had a bad blade, or used too much pressure. It could also be all of them or something else.

I would bet that you just didn't have the lather correct as you are used to bowl lathering.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Agreeing with all of the above, I will add that face lathering SHOULD make you less prone to get razor burn because you are building the lather on your face, which SHOULD help soften the beard and raise the whiskers.

Tdmsu likes this.
  6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

If your brush is prickly or scratchy, it can give you some brush burn. When I'm face lathering, I like to scrub at first and then use paintbrush motions to build the lather up. If I'm using a brush that's a little scratchy like a pure badger, I will try not to scrub too long.

Bristle Me and tuxxdk like this.
  7. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

So I'll mention the soaps I tried: Proaso green, EJ Sandalwood, TSD lanolin bay rum. Used both brushes I have: Omega 48 boar, Tweezerman badger. Both seem pretty soft and not scratchy - but what do I know - never heard of brush burn - but hey maybe? Probably not though - too bumpy.

I also did everything else the same, Shower, EVOO/Glycerin PSO, lather, shave, alum, face wash, AS (balm or clubman).
    My beard isn't too heavy. It's possible it's a bad blade - I was using a feather, but it wasn't the first time for one of those. Thinking back - it did tug a bit too much WTG - probably should have changed the blade.

My initial thought was not enough H2O making the lather too thick - possible causing the blade to clog easier - leaving thousands of short and pointy stubble piece to act like sandpaper.

Thanks!

8. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

I would guess if you lather face to hard and to long it is possible, if that is the only thing you did different that is likely to be the case

9. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

QFT.

10. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

I wonder though - would this kind of burn create the ingrown hair bumps? As that's what I got. I did a no-no and changed 2 things today, blade and lather method. Went to a Sally Personna and bowl lathered. No burn today and healing much better. I'll try the face lather again tomorrow and see how it goes. I have a theory that the Feather edges are so thin to get that super sharp edge, they flex with really thick lather.

11. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I doubt the lather is thick enough to flex the blade, unless you're lathering with freshly poured concrete. If you peek at some videos on youtube there's a number of dedicated feather users and some of the lather you see is ridiculously thick (From my perspective) and they get great shaves. IMO its either brush burn or the blade was ready to be changed or just a factory dud. I face lather with all my brushes (Semogue Owners Club Boar & 2 Band, Semogue 610, Simpson Duke 3 Best Badger, Muhle STF and Omega 10005) and my latherings tend to be integral to my prep so it lasts up to 3 minutes of face scrubbing and I don't get razor or brush burn however mine are all broken in quite well except for the 2 band which isn't scratchy due to the hooked tips that little gem has.

Bristle Me likes this.
  12. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I agree with Neo- probably brush burn. If you have an overly prickly rough brush it can leave your face red and then you mistake it for razor burn. I have sensitive skin and have no problems with a HIS brush or Semogue 830 boar (always pre soaked).

Bristle Me likes this.
  13. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

You'd be surprised what it would take to make the 'edge' flex. Granted I think its a long shot. As you say, I think the blade was more likely a dud, as I've used Feather blades a few times before and not had that issue. Could be brush burn - I am working on breaking in a new Omega 48 boar (I really like this brush despite it's cheap price) and it has only 6 shaves behind it - just skeptical because the reason you get bumps with razor burn is because the hairs got cut too short and a skin cap healed over and fills with pus/liquid. I'm going to try again with a face lather again tomorrow (this morning) as my face has recovered (Gold Bond Ultimate lotion really works).

14. Eric Green

Eric Green Active Member

I'm into this conversation, it's interesting, mind boggling etc, it seems that there are a million reasons RB happens, nsomnac has raised the question, and I'm with him, I lather in a bowl, both with creams and soaps, but I also put the theory to the test and used the same combo's to face lather, and although it may be a subconscious thing, face lathering, certainly for me, caused RB. I've tried different combo's of razor and blade, but I seem to get more RB if I face lather with a boar than a badger. So I'm now wondering if it's the density of the hair or the difference of the lather from bowl against face lathering.

15. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Use cold water to shave with and I dare you to get razor burn.

16. Eric Green

Eric Green Active Member

Now that's what I like. The answer! Cheers mate, as a junior to this despite my age I didn't think of that. Will give it a go. Thank you

Slow Joe likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Been a boar brush hard water face latherer for about 4 years. Have used various soaps and creams. The few times I've gotten burned, I knew instantly it was because of a bad or too sharp blade, an unfamiliar razor, or I got too rushed, too lazy or too sloppy with my technique. Face lathering itself has never caused me a problem in over a thousand shaves. Mileage always varies, though.

markjnewcomb and PanChango like this.
  18. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Hot water brings on the skin brings blood to the top surface of the skin to act as a radiator to help cool the body when it gets hot. This increased blood flow to the surface of the skin during shaving can be a cause of irritation and burn. Cold water causes the blood to retract away from the skin to conserve heat. Again, a defense mechanism of the body.

If you don't like straight cold water, try just luke warm water that's not so hot.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  19. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

So a two day update. I'm back to trying the face lather again after my face healed. Tried Palmolive for the first time the last 2 shaves. That has to be one of my new favorites. Very slick and conditioning and works well with our hard water (ranges between 25 an 70 grains - feels closer to the 70 at the moment with the drought). I also like the mild 'tropical green' scent. My only complaint might be it seems to produce more of a courser DFS than I'd like - but certainly acceptable for daily shave or travel - but maybe that's just technique... Now I want to pick up 4 more sticks... (Uh oh... GAS).

Anyways - no RB with boar or badger! So for the time being I'll chalk it up to a bad Feather blade - but I'll find out when I switch blades back to feather again later in the week - and maybe something other than my EJ 89.

20. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

Well I certainly don't have what I call "hot" water most mornings, even though I'm generally first to use water in the AM. More like lukewarm. Too much hassle to go downstairs 3 flights to heat water up to shave. Lately though since trying the shave stick - I fill the scuttle, then put about a teaspoon of hot tap, then put the shave stick upside down for about 30 secs. With a damp brush start the face lather process dipping back to that teaspoon of water to hydrate the soap. Seams to work really well this way, plus leaving the brush in the scuttle during passes keeps it warm. I just can't believe how little soap gets applied.