Does the brush make the difference

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Jhymel, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Jhymel

Jhymel Member

I'm currently using a black badger From whipped dog. Nice brush, but as I'm looking into more brushes I'm wondering how much it makes a difference. I'm looking into maybe a Simpson x3 commodore. I know there is a lot of personal preference but is there a noticeable difference?

2. bnccna2

bnccna2 Well-Known Member

Another newb here so take this for what it's worth (not much) but I think past a certain quality it doesn't make much difference. From what I hear the whipped dog brushes are nice.

3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

There's much difference between the various brushes. More expensive doesn't equal a better brush.

One of my favourites costs 5 USD, shipping included.

Douglas Carey and spacehobo like this.
  4. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Go for a Whipped Dog Silvertip or High Mountain. Still affordable, big difference from what you have!

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Synthetic fiber brushes have really changed the way I think about brushes. IMO everyone should have at least one, the Plisson is a fantastic option. I also have a custom brush done by our very own @GDCarrington I believe a good brush makes a big difference in building a suitable lather.
    image.jpg

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I made my own handle and got Larry's High Mountain Badger knot. I really, really like it.

brush4_post_bloom1.jpg

InspiringK, Darkbulb, BamaT and 6 others like this.
  7. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

there is a difference in the texture and feel of different brushes on your face. some have more backbone. I have an Omega s synthetic brush and its awesome. I also have the cheap VDH deluxe brush and its quite good. as long as the brush is not loosing a bunch of hairs, it feels comfortable on the skin, and it loads enough product then its a good brush. I don't think the really expensive brushes are too much better than an inexpensive one

8. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have one similar to that. I like the handle. I wasn't sure if I should get a new knot put in it or not. its a bit floppy and I have a hard time getting it to breech. is it necessary to get it re knotted?

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Short answer - yes. But a difference isn't always a bad thing. You answered your own question - personal preference.

Darn. Guess that means you gotta buy some new brushes to try. I hate that. :p

10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I recently purchased an Omega Professional 98 on Amazon for $15. It works great for me! I thought it would be scratchy, but it's actually fairly soft (and funky smelling) right out of the box.

photo.jpg

11. RaZorBurn123

I could've used the brush the way it was with the original knot, I did use it once. I bought this brush with the idea of having Gary aka Burma Shave perform his magic on it. My brush now has enough backbone I could mix cement with it ;) all while being silky soft.

Douglas Carey, GDCarrington and BamaT like this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

This might be one of my next brushes.

Douglas Carey and wristwatchb like this.
  13. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

image.jpg I have two Silvertips both from Larry at WD. One is a knot that I placed in the wood handle. They are great for either bowl or face lathering. Here is a pic next to my Slim as a reference. You can't get a better deal.
    Whipped Dog 30/45 Silvertip on the right, and my Jerusalem Olive Wood/WD Silvertip 24/48.

14. Jhymel

Jhymel Member

I guess it's too easy to get caught up In the millions of options. So looks like I'll probably get a silver tip next

Douglas Carey likes this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

For more money, you get finer grade hair and perhaps a softer, more luxurious brush.
    Will it always perform any better than one a third or half it's price? Not necessarily.

I've used a number of Simpson brushes (all borrowed) and each performed well. The knots were full, soft-tipped and felt great on the face.
    Were those brushes significantly better than my cheaper badgers? Not really—but they were nicer—well-built and luxuriously-soft. Would i buy one?
    Probably not unless I came across an incredible deal. Brushes aren't that important to me nor my shaving budget.
    It all comes down to personal preference, as much of this wet-shaving business does, and where you wish invest your hard-earned dollar.

Example: I enjoy Martin de Candre shaving soap ($$$); other would prefer NOT to spend that much on soap and choose a less costly product but reliable product such as Arko. Both soaps do their job well.
    Is MdC 10x better than Arko (based upon price)? Probably not. Is a $250 Simpson badger 5-6x the brush a Whipped Dog badger is? I doubt it.
    But we all have the freedom to decide worth and value when it comes to our budgets.

16. Jhymel

Jhymel Member

If anyone by chance has a extra silver tip brush laying around let me know. I don't want to spend a ton. But you never know

17. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

The difference in personal preference not withstanding,
    I think different brushes are suited to different soaps/crèmes
    and the condition of you your beard.

If I don't shave for 3 days or more, the whiskers get thick and fairly tough.
    Under those conditions, I prefer a boar brush with a fairly short loft.
    Mainly because that brush is relatively stiff, it loads plenty of hard soap in a hurry,
    and it excels at getting that soap worked into the beard well.
    Two brushes that I feel excel at this duty are the Omega 10049, and the 10066.
    Both are excellent quality brushes that are also a very good value.
    (Either can be had for < $15.00 with a little shopping)

omegapro49whitewts1.jpg Omega10066.gif

If I've not missed a day shaving and my beard is mild to moderate, I prefer a softer
    boar brush that has finer bristles than the two I listed above. One such brush is a
    newer offering from Omega, the 10104. Straight from the box this brush is very soft,
    but still has plenty of backbone. It's a real joy when used with a softer soap, or crèmes.
    (also < $15.00 from just about any vendor)

P1010924_20pct.jpg

Also good with very soft soaps and crèmes is the horse hair brush.
    I've only one, a Vie Long 12705. It's 35% mane hair, and 65% tail hair.
    It's quite pleasant to use right from the start. Much softer than any of the boars above,
    if you crave a pillow soft brush with no scratch whatsoever, you might consider this one.
    It runs $18 - $24 depending on where you shop.

Vie-Long 12705.jpg

Generally, I'm not a fan of the badger brush.
    Those that I've used were like wet cotton balls on a stick.
    While I don't care for something that feels like a steel wire brush,
    I do enjoy a brush that has just a bit of "scrub" to it.

I wish you good luck in your search for the perfect brush Jhymel,

welcome to The Shave Den, :signs046:

and Happy Shaving!! :bounce017:

18. Sean Coughlin

Sean Coughlin Well-Known Member

I'm still experimenting but have definitely found that different brushes work well with different soaps. What might be a gem for lathering one soap might leave something to be desired on another. Another vote for the above Omega 10104 - picked mine up for $5.99 and is among my more consistent winners as far as the brush rotation is concerned.

19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. My synthetic, an H.I.S. 1865, beats my old boars hands down in lathering, how it feels on my face, holding water for lathering, and then dry much quicker! I seriously doubt I ever get anything other than synthetic going forward.

Douglas Carey and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  20. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Yes and no.

No - Almost any brush will do the job and if you put in the time and effort learning to use it, it will do the job well and you'll enjoy using it.

Yes - A good silvertip will have a pillowy softness and using it adds a bit of luxury. A lot of people love boar brushes. One of my favorite brushes is a badger boar mix. It's like beer or wine, there are noticeable differences but there are plenty of people who enjoy the less expensive brands.

I second the Plisson suggestion, performance similar to a silvertip but less expensive.