Does type of mug/bowl/cup determine amount of lather?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by FatherofSquirrel, Jan 11, 2014.

1. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Hi gang. My question of the day.

I originally grabbed one of the wife's small bowls because of shape and size, but it is smooth inside and didn't give up much lather.
    I've had better luck with hand lathering but never can get a large amount of foam. (And then I'll brain fart and rinse my left hand before I am done shaving and have to start all over.)
    I've tried face lathering the past two days and have had decent luck, but it seems like I really have to load up the brush with soap. I fear I am wasting soap because of bad technique.

Can't afford a scuttle right now, so what kind of container would help produce a great lather?

Thanks in advance.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Of the eight bowls/mugs/scuttle I have, only 3 have ridges that "help build lather." Personally, I don't see much difference.
    As to the question you pose in the title, I feel the amount of lather is determined by the brush and how much soap or cream you use, nothing to do with the size of the bowl or if it has ridges or not.

That being said, I do prefer a bowl the size of a chowder mug. In fact, five of my "shaving mugs" are actually chowder mugs; roughly 4" diameter, 2-1/2" deep. My wife uses a latte mug and whips up a great lather for her legs.

All my soaps are kept in their own small dish. I load the brush from there, then whip it up in my lather mug.

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

"It's the carpenter, not the tool…"
    Technique is probably the most critical aspect of good lather development—how much water, soap and air is combined—versus bowl types and sizes. Certain brushes can be more conducive in this process as well, but I've generated solid amounts of lather with all types of brushes, regardless of the cost or style.
    I have found that certain 'tools' can make it easier to generate mounds of billowy lather, even though any bowl or mug will do the job. Some find that bowls (or scuttles) with ridges (see photo below) increase the speed of lather development. I have better luck in a bowl than a mug as it allows me more freedom to move the brush.

The biggest benefit of scuttles is the warmth, but ANY bowl can be used for making great lather. The third picture below is of a ceramic 'french soup' bowl (with lid) which I found in a thrift store (cheap!). I like it as the handle comes in 'handy' and the interior of the bowl is fairly rough.

'ridged' scuttles; large & small...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ceramic 'French Soup' bowl:
    [​IMG]

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

If you're not getting enough lather, try more soap and maybe more water. I know I have to use a little more soap than most people because I have hard water. But if you do too and really want to make your soaps last, you might try using a mug of distilled water to soak your brush and dip the brush tips in it when you need more water.

PatrickA51 and FatherofSquirrel like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use a salsa bowl I paid $2 for it. I also have a Georgetown G12 scuttle. My salsa bowl is a little rough inside, no grooves. So cheap, readily available and effective. Salsa bowl!! The bowl plays a part, but not the only factor in having a super lather.

6. FatherofSquirrel

thanks alot. I will start by taking a better look around the kitchen/house to see what I can find.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Check out Good Will and Thrift stores - always a ton of kitchen ware and most of the mugs/bowls are under a buck.

8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

If I don't use my scuttle, I use a cappuccino mug that cost me a whopping $1 at the Dollar Store. Had to stop using the cereal bowl under penalty of getting hit with a spatula.

9. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

I like my Old Spice mugs, although they can tend to be on the small side. I originally purchased an Apothecary mug, but really don't like it and have never had much luck with it.

FatherofSquirrel and Cool Breeze like this.
  10. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

You really would be doing your self a favor by trying the salsa bowl, I tried a number of differents bowls from the kitchen and second hand shop before latching onto the salsa bowl. It is the best I have ever used and the only one I use now whether for soaps or creams. It boils down to the shape and the texture.

Dave

11. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

I forgot about the salsa bowl...it works great.

12. FatherofSquirrel

Okay. I'll take a good look at the salsa bowl. Thanks.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  13. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I absolutely love my old spice mug but cannot get descent lather in it. Its just too small, as a descent lather forms, it starts spilling over the edge and Im forced to stop.
    I bowl lather in a cappacino mug with PLENTY O ROOM, I can whip to my hearts content and find it very easy to produce tons of nice thick foam.

FatherofSquirrel and joshkamradt like this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

My wife went to KFC today, she came home with chicken & two sides. The bowls the sides came in are perfect for a puck! Perfect! With lid..

Tdmsu, FatherofSquirrel and Jasman like this.
  15. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Oh my! thats too much, kfc tubs.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use a Stainless Steel bowl made in China, it's the same dimensions as a Van der Hagen ceramic lather bowl and will easily make enough lather for over four passes...I really love the size, I only wish it would keep the lather warm...:)

17. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I also feel that it is more about technique than anything else. Try varying the amount of water, of soap. Try using just the tips of the brush, try back and forth motion, try circular motion.

I face lather now but when I tried various bowls, I did not find ridges helpful. The bowl that seemed to work best was a wide cereal bowl, almost flat bottomed. But they all worked, you just need to find what you like.

18. FatherofSquirrel

just an update.
    Salsa bowls finally came. Maannn. They work great. I got a 3 pack for $5.00 w free shipping. 1 for me and 2 for wifey to use in the kitchen. For salsa. heh heh

Thanks for the advice about the bowl. Appreciate all of the help.

I will try a scuttle down the road. When I actually have the money to justify the purchase.

Thanks again all.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  19. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I use my VDH bowl or mug what ever you call it, one like this Shaving Mug th.jpg
    I really like it but I think I might start going in the thrift store's with "She Who Must be Obeyed"

20. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Yea, I've never NOT been able to make lather in anything, but, the larger the mug/bowl the more room to whip (introduce air) naturally the more room you have for movement the better. If your brush is confined to a very small area of movement your efforts are that much harder and take longer, you can still make lather, its just easier with more room.
    With a bigger area, you have room for more product, thereby more lather.

Absolutely LOVE those mugs. I work my Old Spice, cappacino, and other mugs into rotation, but those are by far my favorite.