Does your face get red after using a de razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Mar 18, 2017.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Adjustable?

1) angle is off...skin is being scraped more than shaved
    2) setting is too high

Two of the most common reasons.

ninjack, Bama Samurai and LOOT like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have to concur with pressure. The adjustable razors can get very aggressive at their higher settings. Maybe try dialing it back. Remember that your goal is to imagine removing the lather and not the hair. Also, I learned from this forum (thank you TSD) to really pay attention to your blade angle. Guys like to say: "ride the cap" and I have to agree. Your goal is to slice off the stubble, not scrap it off. Good luck.

3. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

I had mine on setting 3 when I shaved. And I know I did it right, because it removed the hair.

lightcs1776 and gorgo2 like this.
  4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

A DE razor will remove hair even if the blade is too steep. My analogy is a shovel picking up dirt. You can come at the pile with the handle up high and still get dirt but lower the angle of the shovel's blade and it is easier. Same is true of a razor. I think I recall that the angle the BLADE to the skin should be between 15-25 degrees. You cannot use the handle angle. I have been told to put the top of the razor on the face with the handle coming straight off the skin. Then drop the handle until you just feel the blade touch and the safety bar does not. That is the angle you want. This is what these guys have taught me so I hope I have gotten it right. Search for 'Riding the cap' for a great discussion on it.

5. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I get irritation sometimes, my cause is normally (unless from soap that doesn't agree with me) because I've done far too many passes.

Bama Samurai and gorgo2 like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

True dat!

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Something weird...recently discovered that while I enjoy Cremo with menthol, the original red cap stuff irritates me slightly. I've tried it more than once so I know it's not my imagination. Will be going in a travel box someday. First soap/cream/goo I've ever used that bugs me.

RaZorBurn123 and Bama Samurai like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I like that shovel illustration. I will apply it to when I'm eating.

RaZorBurn123 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  10. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

@Jayaruh gave, IMO, the best thing you can try... Cold water. Cold water helped my rosy cheek issues more than anything else.

If you are on a 3 with your Slim, you may be applying too much pressure. I don't think it's because the setting is too aggressive.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Mantic59 has some helpful shaving videos. Here's a lather making tutorial:

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Oh brother!

HolyRollah likes this.
  13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

C O Bigelow Premium Shaving Cream(aka Proraso Green) $10 at Bath & Body Works. Brushes at Amazon, the Bay etc.

14. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

www.stirlingsoap.com has samples VERY reasonably-priced, and excellent quality synthetic brushes. If you can swing just a bit more money, their starter kits offer the best value-to-price ratio of anything in shaving, IMO.

15. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I used a Slim on "3" exclusively for about 6 years before I came to TSD. Those horrid VDH blades from HEB's was about all I could find. Things improved greatly when I started using better (read: coated) blades. My throat is my worst area, 'cuz the whiskers grow sideways. I always got irritated there. Improving my technique lessened the irritation, and putting down a Clubman cream base to slicken things up totally eliminated it. I'm looking to try that Clubman pre-shave oil next to see how it works.

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Barbasol is very likely NOT the issue here. More likely angle and pressure were too high, leaving you red and scraped.

Barbasol is real lather, it is capable of flawless shaves, but how would I know? ...I am a frequent user.

Technique issues can't be solved with gear changes. I'd suggest buying nothing, and simply mastering to took you already have.

dustmite likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Correct! It ain't soap, it ain't blades. As usual, technique is the most important thing in shaving.

gorgo2 likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Too mild... I bet you leaned on it to make it cut more efficiently. Try opening it up wider and riding the cap.

19. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

Should I raise the setting up? If so, what setting?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  20. Bama Samurai

I'd say five/six or higher. It will make the gap and exposure more efficient and reduce the urge to bear down.

theguitarshaver559 likes this.